Reputable jewler and setting purchase

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Going to be making the leap....

I have my grandmother's ring, but it's gaudy and holds no sentimental value to anyone in the family. So it'll be used to pilfer the main diamond, which is whereabouts of 1 kt brilliant cut with good color and slight inclusions.

GF wants the Tiffany style classic 6 prong solitaire (yeah it's been discussed and chosen, not a secret it's coming)

What I need is a recommendation on a good jeweler in the north/west/northwest burbs and a good place to buy a setting. Would prefer platinum for hypoallergenic sake. I've heard recommendations for BlueNile, and I'll admit their prices are attractive, just don't know what sort of quality to expect.

Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated. I figure because I don't have to buy the diamond, I'm not going to cheap out on the setting.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Blue Nile ftw. Don't be worried about them at all.
[MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION]

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
If it's just the setting tho, I'd imagine any store would be solid..

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
She's a divorce attorney...I gotta be sure about this :hsughlol:

jason05gt

Reaction score
Go with Platinum. White Gold requires maintenance for the plating. I wish I hadn't cheaped out and gone Platinum on my wife's ring in that regard.

I bought my wife's ring at Dimend Scaasi on Wabash. I would highly recommend them as the owner spent the time to actually walk me through all the ins and out of diamonds.

https://www.dimendscaasi.com/

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
Jim over at Norridge Jewelers does great work and doesn't sling bullshit. I do all of the wife's jewelery through him.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bluenile all day for the stone, if you want something slightly custom for the setting I’d look around locally. Go platinum for sure, it stung a little bit up front but knowing new don’t have to worry about that replating is nice to know.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
either tcg doesnt read, oooorrrr all ya'll are much braver than me when it comes to mailing a diamond that has significant monetary value as well as sentimental value to some online jeweler :rofl:

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
either tcg doesnt read, oooorrrr all ya'll are much braver than me when it comes to mailing a diamond that has significant monetary value as well as sentimental value to some online jeweler :rofl:
I would just buy the setting online, then find a local jeweler to set the stone.

That is if I don’t find a setting locally that it is what I want and priced well.

And yeah, I was more than likely going platinum, but now that I’ve read everyone’s comments and done some more research platinum will definitely be the way I go.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I would just buy the setting online, then find a local jeweler to set the stone.

That is if I don’t find a setting locally that it is what I want and priced well.

And yeah, I was more than likely going platinum, but now that I’ve read everyone’s comments and done some more research platinum will definitely be the way I go.
i mean, this thread was about looking for a jeweler to set the stone, right?

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
i mean, this thread was about looking for a jeweler to set the stone, right?
Yeah, there was a zero percent chance of me sending out the stone to get set :rofl:

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
I did Rogers and Holland. I would not recommend them as a whole. I really enjoyed the store manager I worked with, unfortunately she has since moved onto another industry and now my experience is pretty meh.

So morale of the story, be sure you are happy with the person you are working with. My wifes rings are custom so I was happy to work with someone who saw my vision and helped me design that and send it out for creation.

Kaeghl

Reaction score
oh, there are people to size and set rings at the show as well.

platinum is such an upsell. i've been involved in jewelry so long though that I am kind of jaded. Like I think buying a new diamond is a sucker's bet. White gold is usually fine and holds up quite well.

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
oh, there are people to size and set rings at the show as well.

platinum is such an upsell. i've been involved in jewelry so long though that I am kind of jaded. Like I think buying a new diamond is a sucker's bet. White gold is usually fine and holds up quite well.
Interesting, please tell me more. So I've heard conflicting things from a different sources about the pros and cons of each. I've heard platinum is best for skin allergies (which my GF does have), but I've also heard the plating on white gold is going to serve the same purpose, and the plating should last for many years...Would love to hear your opinions.

My GF is definitely not someone who is going to feel cheated with a cheaper metal, if it makes sense.

jason05gt

Reaction score
White gold requires rhodium plating every year or two, which the going rate is $80-$100+.

The jeweler I bought from included lifetime maintenance, but it's a pain driving from the suburbs to drop the ring off on Wabash and then have to come back a few days later to pick it up.

Just something to factor in when comparing white gold to platinum.

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
White gold requires rhodium plating every year or two, which the going rate is $80-$100+.

The jeweler I bought from included lifetime maintenance, but it's a pain driving from the suburbs to drop the ring off on Wabash and then have to come back a few days later to pick it up.

Just something to factor in when comparing white gold to platinum.
Weird. I had heard the plating lasts much longer than that...like would need to come in every 10-15 years....

Kaeghl

Reaction score
Weird. I had heard the plating lasts much longer than that...like would need to come in every 10-15 years....
that is pretty much what I understand as well.

okay and now I heard back from the jeweler in the family:

new white gold settings can be as little as 2 years. older setting went much longer. the plating wears off or is seen through faster when the underlying gold is very yellow. Previously white gold had a "better" alloy that was not as bright.

here is a decent article about it:
http://www.jodiegearing.com/white-gold-should-not-be-rhodium-plated/

jason05gt

Reaction score
I've read every couple of years is normal. I can tell you that with my wife's ring it's 1-2 years, but she's a nurse and always washing her hands so that might wear it quicker. If I had known that upfront, I would have just paid extra for Platinum.

OP
Kensington

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
that is pretty much what I understand as well.

okay and now I heard back from the jeweler in the family:

new white gold settings can be as little as 2 years. older setting went much longer. the plating wears off or is seen through faster when the underlying gold is very yellow. Previously white gold had a "better" alloy that was not as bright.

here is a decent article about it:
Why white gold should not be Rhodium plated - Jodie Gearing
great article, thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom