đź“° Auto News REPORT: Holden to lose $1 billion annually if GM shutters Pontiac

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The G8 may be the best Pontiac in decades, but the stellar RWD sedan doesn't stand a chance if the arrow head is forever retired. The loss of the G8 is difficult for enthusiasts, but it'll be even tougher for Holden. GM's Australian arm will lose $1 billion ($716 million US) in revenue every year with the loss of the Commodore clone. Holden has been counting on 30,000 annual exports to the US and 70,000 worldwide exports. GM spent $77 million to upgrade the Port Elizabeth plant to build left-hand drive vehicles, and the plant received $6.9 million in loans from the Australian government to make the project happen

Even though the G8 has generally been considered an excellent vehicle by the press and enthusiasts alike, it hasn't sold well in the US. About half of the 25,000 G8s shipped Stateside have yet to leave the dealer lot. The collapse of auto sales in the US have a lot to do with that, but we'd add that marketing efforts of the G8 have been less than stellar as well. It's hard to buy a G8 when you don't know it exists. March was a bright spot for the G8, though, as nearly 3,000 models were sold; the vehicle's best month ever.

One possibility for the G8 that could save Holden a lot of money while saving an excellent RWD sedan from extinction would be to convert it into a Chevy. The Commodore already dons the Chevy bow-tie in some markets, and we're sure US dealers would welcome a RWD sedan into its showrooms.

[Autoblog]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i agree. Chrysler went 4 door with the charger...i wouldnt hate a 4 door GN or GS

for sure.. as a chevy, it would prolly not work, because it is a lil nicer than most chevys i think.

Buick used to be so bad-ass....now all it is is half baller half old people cars.

exactly.

Open down pipe FTW! :bowdown: KJ I will require a ride in your car very VERY soon, sir. When do you have a moment to humor me?

um schools gon kick my ass this week, but prolly this weekend sometime? we will go for a quick rip... shit... you can drive it if you want...

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
Dont mind me, ill just leave this here :yumyum:

Chevrolet-Lumina_SS_2008_photo_02.jpg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
a rebadged G8 for Chevy would make for a nice next generation impala SS.

Buick used to be so bad-ass....now all it is is half baller half old people cars.

Exactly!! Buick is supposed to target older people with a budget and something old people want. Old people dont want guady looking cars with too many electronics that they wont know how to use. Old people want Buick Century's with 205/75R/14 wheels, bench seats, dynaride suspension, a column shifter, and a useful guage cluster comprised of a speedometer, odometer and gas guage. If grandpa is ballin' he goes and gets a cadillac plain and simple.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
a rebadged G8 for Chevy would make for a nice next generation impala SS.

Exactly!! Buick is supposed to target older people with a budget and something old people want. Old people dont want guady looking cars with too many electronics that they wont know how to use. Old people want Buick Century's with 205/75R/14 wheels, bench seats, dynaride suspension, a column shifter, and a useful guage cluster comprised of a speedometer, odometer and gas guage. If grandpa is ballin' he goes and gets a cadillac plain and simple.

i take all of your statements personally and must insist you take them all back. Buick used to be about class and power. now it has neither. no old person wants any of those things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info