đź“° Auto News REPORT: Ford Police Interceptor to go FWD or AWD?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It's hard to turn away as loyal customer base as Ford has for its Police Interceptors, but the writing is on the wall for the Ford Crown Victoria, and has been for some time. The full-size sedan is based on Jurassic-era technology, and as of last year, it was taken off the consumer market and is available essentially only by fleet purchase for police, taxis and such. But even those are reportedly slated to be discontinued by 2011 (as are the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car). With the Crown Vic still worth 65,000 units annually, Ford isn't keen to leave the segment to the competition.

At the Detroit Auto Show two years ago, Ford showed the Interceptor concept, but sources suggest that it was never meant for production. And with the cancellation of the Blue Oval's rear-wheel-drive platform, Ford is reportedly looking at front- and all-wheel drive options over the long term. Could that include the new Taurus? Possibly, but so far Ford's not saying, and besides, that would conflict with the Blue Oval's new "flagship" messaging for the sedan.

For his part, Jim Farley, Ford's group vice president of marketing and communications, says that he envisions a move from "the legacy products" to all-wheel drive or front-wheel drive unibodies over the long haul, and perhaps unibody rear-drive crossovers as an interim solution.

We'll be watching – engines running and sirens blaring – to see what Dearborn has up their sleeves.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
I don't understand why cops love that POS.

Because they offer a LOT of room when compared to other options. The Impala is small and cramped especially with a prisoner cage. The Charger is just about the same. Plus the RWD of the Vic has some nice advantages over the FWD of the Impala. The V8 is very trusty and the entire car can do a quick number when needed. Plus you can beat the shit out of em and they'll keep runing, plus the added safety all that boat gives them.

Its kind of a police thing, but if you got to ride in all the available options the vic would be your choice too.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Because they offer a LOT of room when compared to other options. The Impala is small and cramped especially with a prisoner cage. The Charger is just about the same. Plus the RWD of the Vic has some nice advantages over the FWD of the Impala. The V8 is very trusty and the entire car can do a quick number when needed. Plus you can beat the shit out of em and they'll keep runing, plus the added safety all that boat gives them.

Its kind of a police thing, but if you got to ride in all the available options the vic would be your choice too.

I always felt sorry for the Officers that had to drive the impalas and intrepids. FWD is just sad when you think of all the great cop cars in the past.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Well CPD is going all Tahoes, so what does that tell you about the Vic? Kidding... Its because apparently CPD has money to waste...

The VIC motor is just weak... Otherwise yes it isn't so bad except that it is ancient. From what I understand the Caprice was the best there was.

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
crown vics are stupid.

now give me a nice lincoln town car as a police car and were good....but i'd still go for the caprice or better yet a dodge polara!

i posted the monaro cause its cool. i also referred to the G8 which is indeed a 4 door car buckaroo.

Your right, it is cool. Just impractical.

The G8 would work if Pontiac wasn't basically going by the wayside. Its not a matter of taking a car and putting some lights on it. Police Interceptors have beefed up suspension, brakes, cooling, electronics, etc etc. Hell even crown vics can have Kevlar matting in the doors to protect from small arms fire.

JayWild

WildChevy
Aug 14, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Real Name
Jeremy M.
The new impalas are pretty nice inside, the FWD does kinda suck but they still have a lot of pickup in them. The intrepids were just shit.

The Intrepids were shit.

The new Impalas are near-perfect (just need more power, and AWD imo). My Impala was incredibly roomy in the back and in the front. I haven't been in a Crown Vic more than once (no not behind a cop car), so I can't compare. It does seem the CV's are still massive boats on wheels.

CV's do have a lot of power, take a lot of beatings, and still keep running. Their life-cycles aren't very long, but that is more due to the day-to-day driving conditions. Rushing from emergency to emergency everyday would kill even the most reliable vehicles.

I should ask some friends who are police officers how they feel about their squad cars.

(Thinking about that one time I saw a silver (?) 03 Mustang unmarked squad pulling someone over just past a toll station years ago..and that unmarked Caravan used by the WI Troopers I saw a few months ago :rollpicard:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info