Replacement for the Prius

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Been looking for a fuel efficient, relatively inexpensive car to replace the totalled Prius.

Was shooting for something with a hatch and AWD, and test drove over a dozen cars across 4 states the last couple weeks.

We'll, didn't end up going that direction and went with an Accord Sport 2.0t with the 10AT.

Needless to say I had to organize the garage a bit as it's a lot longer than the Prius.

I was surprised how low this particular one sits from the factory.

Anyone else looking to get one of these and have questions lemme know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190727-210002.jpg
    Screenshot_20190727-210002.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot_20190727-210039.jpg
    Screenshot_20190727-210039.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: Yaj Yak

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
That's gotta be lowered, but either way. :fy: to the Honda purchase! :jg:

Thanks!

We went in looking at a Civic hatch or Si.

This one had only 4 miles on it and was still wrapped up when they pulled it up to test drive it. It was also the only one we looked at on Michelins and not Goodyears so not sure what's going on with it?

Gotta also mention it was a shock going with the 10A over the 6MT. We really didn't care for the center armrest and shifter in the 6MT. Also strange was the shift knob on the three manuals we looked at were loose/would rotate.

If anyone's curious, rev-hang wasn't an issue on the Accord. On the Civic hatch and Si, it was a deal breaker.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
We went in looking at a Civic hatch or Si.

This one had only 4 miles on it and was still wrapped up when they pulled it up to test drive it. It was also the only one we looked at on Michelins and not Goodyears so not sure what's going on with it?

Gotta also mention it was a shock going with the 10A over the 6MT. We really didn't care for the center armrest and shifter in the 6MT. Also strange was the shift knob on the three manuals we looked at were loose/would rotate.

If anyone's curious, rev-hang wasn't an issue on the Accord. On the Civic hatch and Si, it was a deal breaker.

How's the Infotainment been? I drove a manual one and thought the shifter itself does sit a little far forward, but the shift motion was excellent.

I have a 2018 accord touring as my daily driver. Black ext and black interior. I also have the ktuner unit for it. I would highly recommend getting one of those if you plan to mod it at all. Honda already has the numbers underrated and ktuner really unlocks some power.

Manual or Automatic? Are you running the Stage 1 or 2? Reading online it looks like you can run either, and both just need 91+ Oct.

Is it a dramatic difference and what have you heard about dealers on warranty claims with the KPro?

Reactions: torquelover

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
How's the Infotainment been? I drove a manual one and thought the shifter itself does sit a little far forward, but the shift motion was excellent.

I've only been in the car once since the test drive (this is the wifey's DD) but so far, so good as far as connectivity.

The screen itself is bright and crisp. The response speed is eleventy billion times better than in our '16 Odyssey and Accord.

Also a proper volume and tuning knob. They matched the feel and sound to the climate controls below, too. They don't feel as good as our Mazda but it's close enough.

Phone cubby in the dash is deep enough for the phone to fit and the door to close. Android auto launches as it should. Kid's iPhones do their thing as it should as well.

Satellite sound quality is meh as usual.

HD radio pulls in and keeps signal better than my Ford.

Bluetooth call voice quality going both ways is clear.

As far as sound quality as with any Honda I've had in the last two decades it's performance is just so-so. The upgraded system with sub in the Touring should be better. I do appreciate that the rear speakers are in the deck and not the doors.

This is not a quiet car, but it's quiet enough and that does help the SQ at speed.

Our car on Michelins is a tad quieter than the same car on Goodyears we also drove.

I thought the engine response and shifter movement was just fine. Coming straight from the Civic Si I preferred the tighter, higher effort, shorter travel and feel in the Si. This might be out of character for an Accord however.

Clutch engagement point was good however I wish there was some feel to it.

We didn't care for the shortened center armrest. The forward position of the shifter had our elbows falling into the cup holder abyss.

That coupled with the loss of remote start and being several thousand more (dealers by me weren't discounting 2.0 manuals at all) we went with the auto.

Thank God it's not a CVT.

I don't care for the push button shifter but the wife's okay with it.

Kids have to be mixed up as we now have a push button shifter, a rotary dial, and a regular stick shifter. I'm getting a truck soon with most likely a column shifter lol.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've only been in the car once since the test drive (this is the wifey's DD) but so far, so good as far as connectivity.

The screen itself is bright and crisp. The response speed is eleventy billion times better than in our '16 Odyssey and Accord.

Also a proper volume and tuning knob. They matched the feel and sound to the climate controls below, too. They don't feel as good as our Mazda but it's close enough.

Phone cubby in the dash is deep enough for the phone to fit and the door to close. Android auto launches as it should. Kid's iPhones do their thing as it should as well.

Satellite sound quality is meh as usual.

HD radio pulls in and keeps signal better than my Ford.

Bluetooth call voice quality going both ways is clear.

As far as sound quality as with any Honda I've had in the last two decades it's performance is just so-so. The upgraded system with sub in the Touring should be better. I do appreciate that the rear speakers are in the deck and not the doors.

This is not a quiet car, but it's quiet enough and that does help the SQ at speed.

Our car on Michelins is a tad quieter than the same car on Goodyears we also drove.

I thought the engine response and shifter movement was just fine. Coming straight from the Civic Si I preferred the tighter, higher effort, shorter travel and feel in the Si. This might be out of character for an Accord however.

Clutch engagement point was good however I wish there was some feel to it.

We didn't care for the shortened center armrest. The forward position of the shifter had our elbows falling into the cup holder abyss.

That coupled with the loss of remote start and being several thousand more (dealers by me weren't discounting 2.0 manuals at all) we went with the auto.

Thank God it's not a CVT.

I don't care for the push button shifter but the wife's okay with it.

Kids have to be mixed up as we now have a push button shifter, a rotary dial, and a regular stick shifter. I'm getting a truck soon with most likely a column shifter lol.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm likely days away from making the jump to one as my DD, and test drove a 2.0T 6 speed one on Monday.

The clutch/shifter will take some getting used to, but it was super forgiving and smooth which is a pleasant departure from what I have now (I feel old).

The Armrest is interesting, I'm curious if there are dealer add-on's to deal with the void?

I'd like the remote start, but I think I'd have to fully turn in my gear head card if I went to an Automatic coming from the Mustang.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the feedback; I'm likely days away from making the jump to one as my DD, and test drove a 2.0T 6 speed one on Monday.

The clutch/shifter will take some getting used to, but it was super forgiving and smooth which is a pleasant departure from what I have now (I feel old).

The Armrest is interesting, I'm curious if there are dealer add-on's to deal with the void?

I'd like the remote start, but I think I'd have to fully turn in my gear head card if I went to an Automatic coming from the Mustang.

For the money an Accord Sport 6MT is hard to beat, especially if you plan to use the rear seat at all.

I should mention the range on Honda's remote start via the key fob is pretty weak.

If you plan to tune beyond just a flash the manual will hold more power than the AT. Not sure how well that works with a long wheelbase car and an open front diff.

If the deal were the same between the two (MSRP is identical) we'd have definitely gone with the manual. It did bring a smile to my wife's face.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
For the money an Accord Sport 6MT is hard to beat, especially if you plan to use the rear seat at all.

I should mention the range on Honda's remote start via the key fob is pretty weak.

If you plan to tune beyond just a flash the manual will hold more power than the AT. Not sure how well that works with a long wheelbase car and an open front diff.

If the deal were the same between the two (MSRP is identical) we'd have definitely gone with the manual. It did bring a smile to my wife's face.

The MSRP Is identical? I assume you mean you just couldn't get a competitive price on a Manual one at the time?

And yea; I'd plan to leave it alone for a bit minus Tint and the black chrome grille assuming I get a black one, then do the K&N just for more turbo noises, then maybe Exhaust. I don't think I'd want to do the tune as a daily driver as the delta between 87 and 93 octane is significant in the area, and all tuners require the higher octane.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
The MSRP Is identical? I assume you mean you just couldn't get a competitive price on a Manual one at the time?

And yea; I'd plan to leave it alone for a bit minus Tint and the black chrome grille assuming I get a black one, then do the K&N just for more turbo noises, then maybe Exhaust. I don't think I'd want to do the tune as a daily driver as the delta between 87 and 93 octane is significant in the area, and all tuners require the higher octane.

Yes, same price either way, $4,530 over the base 1.5t 6MT Sport.

I was able to get around $5k off the auto. The 6MT? No where close.

In other news, wifey sent me this pic. Anyone see what's odd here?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190731-164410~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20190731-164410~2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 81

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yes, same price either way, $4,530 over the base 1.5t 6MT Sport.

I was able to get around $5k off the auto. The 6MT? No where close.

In other news, wifey sent me this pic. Anyone see what's odd here?

$5,000 off and it was brand new? Did it have any dealer add-ons?

And I wonder what the Camera read that said 100mph :eek3:.

I noticed how responsive it was on the test drive to reading the speed limit signs.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
$5,000 off and it was brand new? Did it have any dealer add-ons?

And I wonder what the Camera read that said 100mph :eek3:.

I noticed how responsive it was on the test drive to reading the speed limit signs.

This one was brand new, but had been on the lot longest of the Sport 2.0 autos. No dealer add ons, no accessories. Being in the out lot and still wrapped they didn't get a chance to do nitrogen in the tires which all the other cars had, about $100. I wouldn't have agreed to pay it anyway.

Yes, it is responsive. Pops up on the dash before I notice a sign.

I believe the Fusion we have uses GPS to do similar.

My wife has a lead foot so the car telling her to go faster probably doesn't help!

pbdevastator

Regular
Aug 3, 2010
Manual or Automatic? Are you running the Stage 1 or 2? Reading online it looks like you can run either, and both just need 91+ Oct.

Is it a dramatic difference and what have you heard about dealers on warranty claims with the KPro?[/QUOTE]

Auto. I am running dual tune. Eco is factory boost, then normal and sport are stage 2. Even on just 87 oct it is still a night and day difference, but 93 is best. Its amazing how much the factory restricted these cars, 1.5t and 2.0t. I really never floor it, i ususally do 50 to 60% throttle if i am at the front at a traffic light and it is a totally different car.

As far as the warranty, that is a huge debated topic. I have been back to the dealer once, but i simply flashed it back to factory before going. They did not say anything. Based on what majority are saying in forums and what not, the dealer has no way of telling that you ever flashed the ecu. There are people saying there is a counter for how many times ecu has been flashed, and also some people saying they can see how far back data goes, so if flashed then data doesn't go back as far. But the one thing for sure is in order for the warranty to be voided, they have to prove that the cause of whatever failed on the car was a direct result of the ktuner tune on car. It even says on honda that having any after market thing on the car will not void the warrenty just by being on the car. So based on all that I am not worried. Now if you abuse the car by flooring it 100% of the time you accelerate and race at every light, then you will eventually destroy something. If you take it back to dealer without flashing back at that point, then you are asking to have warrenty voided.

Reactions: torquelover

Thread Info