Remington 870 Shotgun

PANDA

Reaction score
Remington® Model 870™ Express® Synthetic Pump-Action Shotguns

Remington® Model 870™ Express® Synthetic Pump-Action Shotguns : Cabela's

$239
So I am looking for a inexpensive shotgun I can use for home defense and trap/target shooting. I don't have [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] money so I saw this 870 in the Black Friday Ad. Sounds like a good value. It isn't a door buster so it will probably be pretty easy to buy anytime this weekend. I also have a $100 Cabalas gift card so buying online probably won't be any cheaper for me.

What do you guys think of this gun? What does the "express" mean.
[MENTION=4838]1MEANGT[/MENTION] says I can buy a 18 inch barrel for it.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've owned an 870 for about 8 years now. I'd buy one again. cheap and reliable, pretty hard to go wrong for home defense and casual use.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
I bought my 18.5" 870 "tactical" for $299 at bass pro with out a sale. That would be a bit better suited for home defense/plinking.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
splitting hairs with a couple inches difference in barrel length. buy what's on sale

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You trap shoot with a pump gun, [MENTION=8029]BeerOrGasoline[/MENTION]? You're a bigger badass than I!

If its for trap, almost everyone uses a semi-auto shotty, I'd try and find one. I have a 870 Magpul edition for HD purposes, but I'd never bring it to shoot trap.

These are both mine actually:

The 870 is reliable as hell and has performed great, even in COLD weather training situations where semi-autos have had issues during the same training exercises.... so there's something to say for pumps...

But that VEPR, that bad boy is my go to for all things, less trap. For that I lean on a Remington 1187:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
The 870 is a great cost effective gun, I have used one for years hunting and shooting clay

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
That I do!

I have a semi-auto (VersaMax Waterfowl Pro) too but the 870 always comes along and is what I started with. If you can shoot doubles with a pump gun decently enough, using a semi-auto is a cake walk.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say GO FOR IT [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION]! Another gun is never a bad thing, esp a pump shotty like the 870!

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
I was looking at the 870 when I was in the market. I wound up buying a Mossberg 500 because at that time they sold a combo with a 28" barrel for trap and a 18" for home defense. Since I had to buy another barrel for the 870 I passed on it. It is still a great gun though.

[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION], what's wrong with trap shooting with a pump gun? You should only need to pump it once for 2 clays.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing is "wrong" with it, just saying, I've only been twice... both times, I've never seen a pump. Doesn't mean it can't be done by all means.

I'd just rather have a semi for that job :dunno:

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
[MENTION=3559]School Boy[/MENTION] and I are cheap so we go to the free trap range in joliet. Everyone there has a pump. Some people even have crack barrels. Where do you go?

PANDA

Reaction score
Nothing is "wrong" with it, just saying, I've only been twice... both times, I've never seen a pump. Doesn't mean it can't be done by all means.

I'd just rather have a semi for that job :dunno:
What semi auto should I look at? Not in for spending $800. Will put that into buying mods for a AR.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
I shoot trap all the time with my 500. Homie don't need a semi shot gun.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
870 and 500 are awesome guns for cheap and reliable, ive only ever had a pump gun, I got my 500 for christmas when i was 13, ive shot trap with it, rabbits, pheasant, pretty much everything zero issues

Outlaw

Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500, zero complaints. Use it for trap up north regularly. Great gun for the money. Nothing wrong with an 870 either.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Reaction score
Benelli super black eage. They are not cheap but definitely the best semi auto you are going to buy. I love mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom