Remembering A Friend

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Misty

I never wanted you in my life in the first place. I was allergic to cats, and even though it wasn't life threatening, I didn't want to deal with constant allergies. But we got you as a family and I was overruled. Oh my god were you annoying at first. It seemed like you never slept. Which for you meant I couldn't sleep either. You'd wake me up 5 nights a night and made your self right at home walking on my face. Then the claws really came in, and I would always have scratches all over. You took to climbing up my pants by digging in your claws like a fish takes to water. And don't get me started on the biting. Any time I'd try and pet you you would attack my hand. All the while, I was suffering from allergies every day. But then, as time passed, I guess you just got use to me. You started letting me pet you, briefly at least. You started sleeping in my room occasionally, and not just coming in to wake me up. You became something bearable to live with, but still not my friend.

I still remember the day that changed. I was having a really rough day, so I skipped work and was just going to cry in my bed all day. You appeared on my bed at one point and started meowing. You nudged my head with yours until I looked at you. And you licked my nose for the first time. Anyone who tells you animals don't have emotions doesn't know what they're talking about. You knew I needed a friend and you were there for me. After that day you would cuddle with me and lay on my chest when I slept. Even though you couldn't respond, I could tell you anything, and you'd sit there looking at me, sometimes I swear listening. You were always there for me.

I could see things getting worse towards the end. You ran less. You couldn't jump as well. You took the stairs one at a time. Sometimes the crust would build up so much in your eyes that you couldn't open them, and I'd be there to wipe it out for you. On your last night... you would wobble when you walked. I had spent a lot of time with you that day, and I wanted some time to play video games, so I left you for a bit. I thought I'd get more time with you. I didn't think I'd never get to see you alive again. I'm so sorry I wasn't there with you in the end.

Thinking back now to how I felt about you in the beginning, and how I wasn't there for you at your end, I hate myself. I know you knew I was your friend, just like I know you were mine. Best friends. I'll always remember you, Misty. 19 years wasn't enough time. It wasn't nearly enough.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Pets are like family but don't beat yourself up so badly man, 19 years is a great run, remember the good times :bigthumb:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The cat lived a long life at 19 years. My friend lost a 19 year old cat a few years ago. It was very hard since that cat was around the majority of her life. My cat snowball died a few years ago also from feline lukemia. He was only 6.

Get another cat but remember not to compare it to the one that died they will never be the exact same.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Fuck. Right in the feels.

Had a similar experience with my wife's cat, who we put down about a year ago. Same, came into the relationship and here was this cat that: was allergic to, kept me up, could be a little asshole....you know cat stuff. But he slowly broke through my cold dead heart, and damn was he a fucking great friend. You could always count on him to want to cuddle, sit and purr on your lap, or give you a nudge to get petted. His life was a disaster, with constant kidney failures, but he was so strong....we thought we had lost him probably a dozen times, only for him to bounce back. We finally made the decision to put him down, and holding him while he passed was the most difficult thing I've done...

?

Still feel guilty about putting him down...but it was the right thing. It'll get better, I'm so sorry for your loss, pets become such a big and important part of your family, but give it some time, and you'll remember them fondly.

• Sad
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Having just adopted Shadow the new young cat that showed up on my porch one day, and having had to say good by to several previous pets, I can totally understand it.

Minx the below cat died young. She was diagnosed with Heart Arrhythmia early on together and later hyper thyroidism. Medication with her was difficult, it was really hard to control her thyroid levels and I think it lead to her having a stroke or aneurism. All I know is I came home one day and found her dead on the floor, seemingly mid walk, eyes open. It was terrible. She used to cuddle and bunt so hard that her canines would scratch my chin. But she was so affectionate. I miss her badly still.

My mother found her on a rooftop of a building her real estate company bought. Alone, fleas, abut still so friendly and loving. Never found the owner, no-one ever stepped up to claim her. I literally cannot understand how anyone could let her go.

She's the black cat, Tiger is the tabby. Tiger had a great run to about 23 years. He was my childhood buddy all the way into adult hood, there every day. Old age and failing heath made me put him to sleep, and that was hard, but not as hard as watching his health decline and seeing the treatments work less effectively every day till they seemed to do nothing. Eventually his kidney's stopped functioning entirely.
11743019245_0ed2871748_o.jpg

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
It still amazes me how much pain we feel when a pet of ours dies. We put our greyhound down about 4 months ago. It was pretty hard since I was out of town for work. my wife and daughter face timed me while they were at the vet so I could say good bye.

Sorry for you loss. Our furry friends are truly the best.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Mannnn. This got me in the feels so hard. First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. This is never easy.

Last year, I lost my best friend. He passed away in my arms at 20 years old. I was a complete and utter mess. Honestly, i don't think ill ever be "over it" because he was always there for me like misty was for you. All you can do is remember the great times that you two shared. Again, im so sorry for your loss.

20190713_161141.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info