🔧 BUILD remember the twin engine olds?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
SOON...
IMG_4867.jpg

aHAIRYpowerplant-1.jpg

i am kinda glad that i kept the rear 90 LN3 3800 that was originally in the rear and used it in the waGN
IMG_4917.jpg

Very kewl, my dd is a 1997 Cutlass, same color.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
cleaned everything up, spoon and clean razorblades
IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

all clean and lubed vacuumed the piston od then blew it out while vacuuming
used studs from the old 04 l26/32 along with its rebuilt (again) "imma bend 6 valves thanks to broken oem chain" heads, 6 valves from a l26 cylinder head that was easiest to grab from the pile and strip... and reused the crow 105's comp retainers and new seals
waiting on new pushrods
IMG_0502.jpg

remember to always clean off the outer bolt bosses if ya paint em
IMG_0504.jpg

ready for scribing the lim for port matching for any core shift
IMG_0510.jpg

Last edited:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
that sealants worked quite well but keep in mind ya gotta prep the block threads.

i take a used headbolt and cut 2 or 3 grooves with a cutoff disc so ya get all the crap out. sometimes run it through twice each hole.

i did have one that seeped out of an exhaust side bolt once but after the motor cooled down the sealant musta set

since then i toss on a few wraps of teflon tape near the top to make sure. the pink is the extra thick stuff...seems to not tear into strands like the white and it lets you pull tight to form to the threads better when wrapping em.

the one's to really worry about are the one's under the valvecover...i can deal with an external leak but id hate to be leaking coolant into the oil

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So Im in Italian Pizza Kitchen yesterday and this asian kid that works there overhears me talking about either my bonne or Paulos new GTP or something.(was drunk, dont remember which) He jumps in the convo to tell me about this crazy "44" something that had 2 3800s in it he heard about when he used to work at Vatozone. I loled and asked him to tell me more of this modern marvel. lol

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
that sealants worked quite well but keep in mind ya gotta prep the block threads.

i take a used headbolt and cut 2 or 3 grooves with a cutoff disc so ya get all the crap out. sometimes run it through twice each hole.

i did have one that seeped out of an exhaust side bolt once but after the motor cooled down the sealant musta set

since then i toss on a few wraps of teflon tape near the top to make sure. the pink is the extra thick stuff...seems to not tear into strands like the white and it lets you pull tight to form to the threads better when wrapping em.

the one's to really worry about are the one's under the valvecover...i can deal with an external leak but id hate to be leaking coolant into the oil

Yeah, the cut headbolt trick does the job. I cleaned them until nothing came out. Never wanted to mess with it again. I can also take my heads off without having to remove the studs, so that helps me out.

So far so good, I need to pull the valvecovers and check 4 of the studs though... people reporting problems with the nuts bottoming out on the stud before achieving adequate clamping.

Pretty sure I did alright though. I think you would be able to feel if the nut bottomed versus crushing the gasket and stretching the studs.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
we screwed em in till they stopped they should be fine

you can fit 3 nuts on the top/nutside fine thread section and the studs on the motor meow have just a hair over a nutsworth sticking out the top so its got at least 5 threads to go

exhaust side ive seen the studs just under flush or ~1 thread above the nut

on the exh side the taller the studs stickup the more likely to have header leaks and have to grind a relief in the bottom of the flanges so they clear

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info