• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

relocated the coils. opinions?

xringshooter7

Reaction score
Looks like nice work,but a horrible location. Really easy to get wet, and god forbid you hit something on the road, those coils would probably get toasted.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks like quality work but I'd be worried about road debris and water.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
unique solution to clean up the engine bay a bit. debris shouldnt be an issue , that looks like 1/4in alum plate but with those holes there id put a lower plate in there of thinner stuff with rear facing louvers for cooling airflow and minimize the chance of water spray getting to the coils.
as long as he uses silglyde/silicone grease on the primary plugs and the ignition cables i dont think water would be an issue unless it gets parked in a river.

it really doesnt look to be that bad as far as servicability as its just 4 bolts to drop it down. as long as the wires are numbered topside and bottomside it shouldnt be too bad.

xringshooter7

Reaction score
unique solution to clean up the engine bay a bit. debris shouldnt be an issue , that looks like 1/4in alum plate but with those holes there id put a lower plate in there of thinner stuff with rear facing louvers for cooling airflow and minimize the chance of water spray getting to the coils.
as long as he uses silglyde/silicone grease on the primary plugs and the ignition cables i dont think water would be an issue unless it gets parked in a river.

it really doesnt look to be that bad as far as servicability as its just 4 bolts to drop it down. as long as the wires are numbered topside and bottomside it shouldnt be too bad.
A plate with louvers would be a good idea.

Wolfman

Reaction score

i like the louvers idea. car won't see harsh weather. look at the third pic. the fat sway bar and two turbos will kill me in the rain/snow before i will damage these. debris and whatnot won't be an issue either. this section was pretty much spotless compared to the rest of the underside of my car.

if i bottom out hard enough to hit this, i probably broke my coil overs.

Caddy_V

Reaction score
I hate to ask but what is the point? What have we gained my moving the coils? I am not trying to be a smart ass FYI.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
i like the louvers idea. car won't see harsh weather. look at the third pic. the fat sway bar and two turbos will kill me in the rain/snow before i will damage these. debris and whatnot won't be an issue either. this section was pretty much spotless compared to the rest of the underside of my car.

if i bottom out hard enough to hit this, i probably broke my coil overs.
oh i figured, but i do always plan for things to be easily servicable and protected, never know when youll hit a downpour so better splash shielding would be all id do, you could always go nuts and do a full lower pan with the front kicking up in front of the crossmember.

I hate to ask but what is the point? What have we gained my moving the coils? I am not trying to be a smart ass FYI.
sometimes other major changes make wires from above difficult, some people do it just to cleanup the engine bay

i located my coil pack just above my bellhousing, much lower and farther back than a turbo 3.8 buick. my headers go upward and then forward, so the best option for my ignition cables is to run em under my headers alongside the block

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Reaction score
The location is perfect IMO. And a plate with louvars would look awesome and help them keep cool. Id worry about wheelstands and slamming the car back down

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom