• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Registering a vehicle to an alternative address to eliminate emissions testing

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
Hey guys,

I'm battling the emissions testing program we all know and love in some areas of IL... I have all emissions related components in place still, less cats, but my tune apparently has any and every emissions related portion of it flipped to "Not supported"

My tuner, who has done my tunes remotely, tells me that this is not his doing, and it may have been from the PO's tunes that he had written with the old skool diablosport setup that I bought my Lightning with. He issued me multiple revisions, none of which worked and continually came back with the same results at the testing stations.

I work with a guy who lives outside of the testing area, and he offered to allow me to register the truck at his address, but I fear that while "updating" my vehicle registration to his place, that it will also change the address on file for my drivers license. I've heard that some people have done this, but I can't find any conclusive information surrounding the address on file for my DL.

Which brings me to my final question.... Has anyone gone this route before, and if so, how did that play out in the end? I'm at wits end trying to get this to pass. I drive the truck less than a hundred miles a month, during the few nicer months throughout the year that we have and therefore, this seems like a good option at this point, depending on the outcome.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Cliffs: IL emissions sucks and I can't pass.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
I had my supra registered at [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION]s house... Never was a problem.

Mook, when you registered the vehicle at his place, did you just use the electronic vehicle registration address change function on the IL dmv website? What'd that do to your address that was on file and associated with your license?

From what the guys over on CMC told me, you can have only one thing that shows not supported. Unfortunately, theres all kinds of bullshit stuff that my truck doesn't have, so even if I had cats, I don't think it'd pass, but I could be wrong.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Mook, when you registered the vehicle at his place, did you just use the electronic vehicle registration address change function on the IL dmv website? What'd that do to your address that was on file and associated with your license?

From what the guys over on CMC told me, you can have only one thing that shows not supported. Unfortunately, theres all kinds of bullshit stuff that my truck doesn't have, so even if I had cats, I don't think it'd pass, but I could be wrong.

A correct Tune should be able to address this;

Also, you can register a PO box in Lasalle County for like $40 a year.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

When I bought the car, I just went to the currency exchange and gave them that address.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
GM / HPT perform this in a different way than Ford / SCT does. Basically Ford / SCT actually turns them off per se in the tune which is why they don't report a MIL but also report as "not ready" in the tests. Since you can only have one minor system check as "not ready" and still pass in IL, having both off will fail. In HPT for GM you keep the MIL/SES enabled for them but set the error mode to "3-no error reported". This is what allows the GM cars to still report their O2 sensors test as completed but not throw a MIL error for it. The key in the GM tuning is to make sure that the SES box is still checked to allow the SES to occur and then set error mode to 3 so that it just never shows up. If it is done differently then you won't pass emissions.

What I usually do to make absolutely sure that I pass emissions with my G8 is just do an "emissions tune" that I temporarily load for the day of the test that literally has ALL DTC's in the tune set to enabled and error mode 3. This forces it to go to an immediate pass status right when the car is started. Normally this would take a few seconds if the car is tuned normally, but so far the shops haven't been educated enough to catch it.

This is all stuff that you can verify on a normal code scanner that can also see if your internal diagnostic emissions tests have been done. As long as you have no MIL reported and all but one or less of the minor tests that are supportable are set to "ready" status then you should pass in IL.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/blue-oval/142014-emissions-question-2.html#post3134591

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is not the case anymore. The ILEPA will fail you if you have a certain number of systems listed as "Not Supported". Now if it is just turning off the rear O2's you might be fine, start getting into more than that and it will be very difficult. If you do not drive the car that much you can file for a show car exemption through the ILEPA.

this exactly for the ford stuff.

there have been a few threads on this where getting a ford to "pass" has become more difficult...

Yes, it changed about a year ago. I passed IL emmisions with my 03 Cobra for 8 years straight with it tuned and many things showing "not ready", then all of the sudden it wouldnt pass anymore. It was a pain in the ass.

I've got it figured out. Mustang Depot sells an 02 device. It's not a simulator in the traditional sense. It screws into the rear 02 port and then your 02 sensor screws into it. It's essentially just taking your rear 02 sensors out of the exhuast stream and making them think you still have cats. :fy:

Thats what I run. Its just a spark plug non-fouler drilled out to fit an 02. Pretty old school trick.

Fords got fucked, as did some Mopars. I know a shit ton of guys that had systems shut off via CMR, or were running the FACTORY stage PCMs and got railed by this.

Exactly what I do every time I'm due as well. Plug a ton of shit in, screw in my Rear O2+ Defouler, reset the PCM and go for a long drive. Good to go. :bigthumb:

For a Ford it can....

Mike Post (DynoTune MP) has no issues passing the 4,048,487 Supercharged Mustangs he's installed/tuned.

[MENTION=114]LeddZepp8687[/MENTION] you try anti-fowler's yet?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Not taking sides here.... BUTTTTT, a good pal at work has a 10 second NA coyote with a tune from them, and he somehow passes. Who knows, I think older shit is more difficult. Really though, this state is lame. I need to move.

He had specifically made mention that he had figured out how to get around the most current limitations/issues with IL testing when I was at his Dyno Day last year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info