Regal Turbo Build

TurboTPI

Regular
Jan 23, 2018
Bensenville, Il
Well, I finally started my turbo setup. I got “temporarily” laid off at work because of this Covid bullshit, so I can have my car laid up for alittle while. Here’s the progress so far. The internal gate is pretty close to the throttle body and the down pipe is gonna suck to make, but this was the best position I could get with this size turbo. It’s a brand new turbo my friend was gonna use but never did. It’s a Mitsubishi turbo off an in-line 6 diesel. Specs are 58mm compressor, 58mm turbine, T4 twin scroll. We’ll see how it works.

BD8B008C-75D4-4392-8149-B3ED4672D422.jpeg

D4676BBA-8F63-4D5C-9FAB-ECEF34728D8A.jpeg

3FC5C7F3-CCD7-4BC7-BA96-FE738A5FE61D.jpeg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My first reaction was to be overly excited to see another turbo 3800 build on here, but those circumstances suck. :( Sorry to hear about your job. I may be in the same same boat soon, and the lack of certainty is extremely scary. I'm glad to see that you're using your time to build something positive though! I look forward to seeing your progress! ?

Are you planning to keep it supercharged too?

Reactions: TurboTPI

TurboTPI

Regular
Jan 23, 2018
Bensenville, Il
Thanks man! Hopefully things get back to normal soon. But anyways, yeah, I think I am going to try it twin charged and see if i can figure all that out. I have a 2.8” pulley on now, so I’ll probably put the biggest pulley I have (3.4”) on for sure haha. And I need some help with the bypass valve, I want to run the bypass open once the turbo is in boost.

Reactions: GTPpower

TurboTPI

Regular
Jan 23, 2018
Bensenville, Il
I was worried about lag with this turbo, the exhaust housing is pretty big, but after a quick start up and rev, it seems to be spooling pretty quick, so i may just pull the blower guts out. But in all honesty, im not looking for huge power, i really hate the way my car sounds, the typical header 3800 rasp and drone, and i figure turbos are alittle safer than the M90 heat pump. I also have a complete L26 upper/lower intake i could use. Not sure how big of a pain that is to swap though.

Well, I have all the oil lines plumbed, started making the downpipe. Got enough of it done to run it for alittle while. I don’t have any charge pipes made yet. But it sounds so much better. Kind of 2JZ ish. Very excited for the full exhaust note. Spool seems really responsive. But then again, I still have the blower operating with a 2.8”, so quick throttle blips still see a good amount of boost. Curious to see how turbo response changes without the blower.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
It's amazing how much better a 3800 sounds with a turbo. I've heard people at car meets say that mine sounds pretty close to a 2J too so you're not alone there haha! I'm sure it has a lot to do with changing the lengths between each bank too though instead of just because of the turbo alone.
The 3800 sounds pretty bad otherwise though.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Haha I'm actually quite torn on this subject.

I've always wanted an obnoxious fender dump because who wouldn't want to be that cool? Besides, my car is a total POS that I'm not scared to cut into and putting a full interior back in has brought the noise down to an acceptable level anyway. On the other hand, the grown-up side of me says that 3800s sound bad, and the body I eventually swap this into will not be cut up for something so unnecessary. Also, my car has stock wheels which make the car look like a total weenie. The contrast between that and a sick fender dump just doesn't jive with me.

• Haha
Reactions: TurboTPI
A turbo 3800 and a sc or NA 3800 aren’t even in the same arena as far as exhaust sound, in my opinion.
I can totally agree with you now! Totally different (and better) sound now with the turbo. I couldn’t stand my m90, headers exhaust note. I had a catalytic converter a big resonator, with a ZZP catback with dual mufflers for a GTP. Still loud as fuck. Hated it!

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info