Regal Turbo Build

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
I've never messed with building a 4t65e myself, but I think if you're not going to go too far with mods you should be fine with just a better input shaft and a gxp chain.

If you're planning on going crazy with boost or doing a cam swap I would be looking into the 4t80e swap or something like an F40. I bet you'd be better off in the long run by doing one of those swaps early if that's the route you're going down.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
What broke on the trans? What happened exactly?

Necessary upgrades include input shaft, gemini chain set, the updates seals (should be in every rebuild kit that's been made since like 1855), shim the clutch packs to 0.04" +/- 0.01" (they run super loosy goosy from the factory, might have to get creative here), the Sonnax line pressure boost kit, and a very mild shift kit. Seems like my memory is that the 4t65 was good for 350hp with a blower, 400 or so with the turbo. My input shaft broke at barely higher than stock power because I had a super hard shift kit in it during a 1-2 upshift during a burnout with 5 people in the car. So the input shaft stock is a piece of garbage, but it probably depends how hard you drive it too.

I went for the F40 because it's unbreakable, and because all my shit is over-complicated AF.

Reactions: TurboTPI
What broke on the trans? What happened exactly?

Necessary upgrades include input shaft, gemini chain set, the updates seals (should be in every rebuild kit that's been made since like 1855), shim the clutch packs to 0.04" +/- 0.01" (they run super loosy goosy from the factory, might have to get creative here), the Sonnax line pressure boost kit, and a very mild shift kit. Seems like my memory is that the 4t65 was good for 350hp with a blower, 400 or so with the turbo. My input shaft broke at barely higher than stock power because I had a super hard shift kit in it during a 1-2 upshift during a burnout with 5 people in the car. So the input shaft stock is a piece of garbage, but it probably depends how hard you drive it too.

I went for the F40 because it's unbreakable, and because all my shit is over-complicated AF.

I do have the stupid zzp shift kit also. And the first two input shafts broke during the 1-2 shift, same as this time too. Shifts into 2nd and bang then all neutrals

aj8

Regular
Jan 12, 2013
Elmhurst
If you're looking for an trans I have one locally. Also have a 300m input shaft. Let me know. I'm in Elmhurst.
Pretty sure input shaft. If it is, it will be the third one now that ive broke. I have a couple upgrades, a couple sonnax valve body upgrades, had a zzp 4340 input shaft, gxp chains. If its the input shaft again, i'm thinking a 300m should solve it.

Reactions: TurboTPI

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Well, that didn’t take long. Another broken trans. I see why people get out of these platforms. Funny part is it happened literally behind a blue 97-04 GTP with license plates that had turbo in them (can’t remember exact what they said)

He’s a member here... blue two door with a turbo. Also has a red 4 door he’s got the engine out of.

He’s a member here... blue two door with a turbo. Also has a red 4 door he’s got the engine out of.
I pulled up to a stop light behind him and over one lane. Noticed the pillar gauge and then the license plate. So I got excited lol. Got a chance to get over so I got on it so I could get next to him and give him a thumbs up (not many turbo 3800’s out there). Not sure if he even noticed me, but if he did he was probably like WTF when I coasted onto the shoulder of the road ?

Well while I’m waiting to get some parts for the trans, I figured might as well do the L26 intake.

67A60A4E-118C-46EF-AD3E-4C50A2731EEB.jpeg

Alittle update, n/a lower intake injector bungs and egr plugged, modified l67 fuel rails to work on the n/a intake, and decided to get an L36 plenum. I really didnt want to mess around with throttle body adapters and shit. Plus the l26 plenum is like 2.5in longer than the l36. This would possibly cause the throttle body to hit the turbo exhaust housing on my setup. I really wanted the aluminum plenum since it looks better and its gotta be alittle sturdier, but i cant see the plastic plenum ever breaking because of boost. And i also ordered the 300m Input shaft, hopefully have this thing together next week if zzp sends it out quick.

Reactions: v6buicks and m_dogg
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info