Emanuel Design Rear Sway Bar
034 Dog-bone Mount Inserts
Shop DAP Wheel Spacers
VW Motorsport Wheels
Yokohama Advan V601

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

OP:
After stressing over what to buy for the last few weeks I’ve finally made a decision and I’m happy with it.

Picked up a 2018 GTI SE w/ DSG & leather interior. Was the last 2018 GTI sitting on the lot at Emich VW in Denver and was heavily discounted.

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Love GTIs and reds the best color. I heard that you can get a decent mpg boost by switching over to manual mode while in traffic. Not that most people use that for gas saving if you know what I mean. ;)

The car has the auto start stop which shuts it off at lights, think that helps. Highway MPG is for sure amazing, got 36 coming back from Denver with the car. First tank was 25, last tank was 29 and this tank is currently at 27. Way better than my old SVT Focus.

My commute to work is less than 5 miles with two turns and about 5 stop lights. Soon to be a bit longer as the house we’re under contract on is a 9 mile drive.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
My dogs expect to ride in the hatch. And will jump in there anytime it's open. This one thought he was going on vacation with us. Next time, pooch!
56830031_10218924583525868_6454128380257239040_n.jpg

Lol, I had that shelf still in, the shit from the dealer and my disc golf bag back there. It all cleaned up fine though.

Dogs normally just go in the wife’s CRV.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Installed the Legit Speed Design front plate bracket. Really impressed with the fit and quality of the part. Plate comes close but doesn’t contact the front bumper anywhere.

Much cleaner look than the tow hook plate mounts and no holes in the bumper!

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

Excuse the dead bugs all over the car...

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
As for tunes, any reflashing will trigger a TD1 code at the dealer and flag your car for voiding the powertrain warranty. Something to keep in mind when making your decision.

I've got 35k on mine now and rolled the dice a few months ago and went with a used Cobb Accessport for a Stage 1 tune. I've had good luck with APR tunes in the past on my other turbo VWs. I'm quite happy with the Cobb unit so far (had one on my Focus ST as well).

A JB4 plug in tuner can be removed before visits to the dealer and will thus remain undetectable (it doesn't reflash the ECU) and is a common way to get most of the performance benefits of a tune.

I've not felt the need to go with a downpipe, and am satisfied with the Stage 1 tune (for now anyway).

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
IE's carbon fiber intake is beautiful and makes good noises but its costly, its what I have. As Dan mentioned, the IE open cone seems to do well from what the internet states.

As for tunes, if you're staying stage 1, anyone will do (APR, GIAC, UM, Unitronic, etc). Unless the dealer you visit is full of dickbags, yes the tune will throw a TD1 but the dealer should still work with you. The one I go to in Crystal Lake specifically told me unless they can prove my tune or any parts on my car causes a failure, they'll work with me (like lets say my water pump fails, I can bring it in). Ultimately, its gonna be up to VW to approve the work but Ive had my car in a few times and never a problem and I'm full stage 2.

I had a JB1 on my car and I was very underwhelmed. I've heard good things about the JB4, however. The JB4 would be good if you're not planning on going s2 at all.

I plan on switching to Cobb shortly and having EQT do the tuning for me. Ive heard more than once that the OTS Cobb tunes suck, especially the DSG tunes...but like anything, mileage will vary.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
^Cobb did a revision of their Stage 1 GTI tunes a few months ago, and so did APR. They are now remarkably similar in terms of their dyno plots. But the OTS tunes do tend to leave something on the table whereas other tuners (like EQT) can extract some more performance out of the car. If you're looking for those extra tenths, then absolutely go with a custom tune from a proven tuner.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Got the Integrated Engineering CAI installed and boy does it give you all the turbo noises! Sounds fantastic!

The fit of the CAI is ok, several things I don’t love about it. The secondary air injection filter kit is garbage, if you secure that in the place they intend the hose will 100% rub through on the starter or air box bracket. So the SAI filter is just sitting there as there’s no good way of tucking that anywhere.

76d894cf4a2094e479c563e3905ed862.jpg

a7a80ef1214593e4db9c7ef453b3b377.jpg

Also ordered the fluid extractor and oil change kit from ECS tuning. Easiest oil changes ever now.

9a6b7dae036d1662f00ba07a18dbf35d.jpg

After all that I took the car for a nice 100 mile loop up in the mountains. Think I’ve found my go to road! Just need to get out earlier to really avoid the traffic up there. Tons of people out pulling campers, hauling kayaks/rafts and such that don’t utilize the slow vehicle pull offs...

Brought my camera with but the car was so dirty I didn’t even bother with any pics. Next time!

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
It might be fine but I didn’t want to risk it. It’s touching the starter and the bracket here. I tried to move the rubber cover that’s on the pipe but there wasn’t even enough room for that in there.
c39241cac667b2a8f57459a192863501.jpg

The pipe also goes so far into the coupler off the turbo that it leaves this gap.
7424141ba8382d5532fa3e59c25fac6c.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Unless something has changed your pipe needs to be adjusted. I installed the clamps on the box and turbo inlet tight and left the clamps on the pipe loose. If you wiggle it and turn it enough you shouldn’t have that gap. My secondary air injection guy has been tucked somewhere under the air box for 15k and it’s still going strong.

IMG_6417.JPG

Not the best pic to see the coupler but it doesn’t have any sort of gap.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
So any of you other MQB guys get a coolant leak yet? I’ve been smelling burning coolant for about the past 1k miles, I just rolled 8k miles. The level has dropped only slightly though. Searching the FB groups it seems like the t-stat/water pump are common failure points.

Contemplating pulling the IE CAI off before taking it in to the dealer.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Yeah I’ve read some people reporting a smell and slight loss of coolant but the dealer says they can’t find anything. But the car has a strong scent of burning coolant at stop lights and when I park in the garage.

I did see one person say the dealer pulled off the T-stat housing and they found a leak on the backside that wasn’t visible while it was on the car.

Thread Info