RedBeard’s 2018 GTI

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure there is a TSB for the water pump on these cars too.

OP
RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Took the car into the dealer back in December for the burning coolant smell. They kept it for 2 days doing pressure tests and what not and said they couldn’t find a leak.

Thinking about taking it in again and assuming they’re slow as shit from the coronavirus stuff maybe they will “find” it now.

Also have been contemplating trading this thing in for something else. I just don’t love this thing and not sure I want to put $2k into wheels and tires and another $1k into a downpipe, and ECU/TCU tunes to still not love it.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
We owned a VW Atlas at work for a year and had a similar coolant smell (VR6 engine, though). Was low on coolant once and that was it. Did the whole runaround of tests and couldn't find anything. Just smelled like burning coolant on occasion.

OP
RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
We owned a VW Atlas at work for a year and had a similar coolant smell (VR6 engine, though). Was low on coolant once and that was it. Did the whole runaround of tests and couldn't find anything. Just smelled like burning coolant on occasion.
Yeah it’s been topped off once in 11k miles now. It’s just a very minor leak but I HATE the smell of burning coolant, especially on a car I bought brand new.

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s the water pump and thermostat housing that has issues with cracking plastic. I’m going in for my 40k service soon and plan on asking about it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I should take mine back in before my warranty expires this year. I still get the coolant smell but the dealer AND Komet say everything is sound.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
I should take mine back in before my warranty expires this year. I still get the coolant smell but the dealer AND Komet say everything is sound.
We got a 17 gti with 30k and a 19 gti traded in with 5k on it. I wonder why they are getting traded in for junk Fords.

OP
RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s the water pump and thermostat housing that has issues with cracking plastic. I’m going in for my 40k service soon and plan on asking about it.
Just quickly browsed through a YouTube video on the process to replace the T-stat/water pump. Looks like a total pin in the ass to do.

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Probably because IMO the new mustangs are one of the best bang for your buck performance cars offered. They sure as shit aren’t trading them in for ST’s or Escapes :rofl:. I’d get a mustang but I still love the flexibility of the platform. Bought a miter saw a couple weeks ago and the box wouldn’t fit in my wife’s civic. The GTI with the seats down it would have been no problem.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Probably because IMO the new mustangs are one of the best bang for your buck performance cars offered. They sure as shit aren’t trading them in for ST’s or Escapes :rofl:. I’d get a mustang but I still love the flexibility of the platform. Bought a miter saw a couple weeks ago and the box wouldn’t fit in my wife’s civic. The GTI with the seats down it would have been no problem.
Non were traded for a 5.0 mustang.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Peoples lives change I guess or second guess there first purchase

In the last 45 days I’ve seen some strange trade ins

Traded a 18 gt350 for a 2019 new superduty

Traded a 15 superduty with 1300 miles traded in for a 18 new superduty. Don’t understand that

Traded 19 gti for a 19 f150

Traded a 18 gmc Denali Yukon for a 2020 edge ST

Traded a 17 gti for 19 ford ranger

Traded a 17 2500 Chevrolet duramax loaded with 2100 miles for 19 f150

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t even thinking about trucks. I get that itch a lot lately as I have to borrow my dads truck every time I buy lumber. Hoping to get the wife a big enough SUV that 8’ lumber would be manageable in it.

Those low mile comparable trades make no sense to me.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There's a dick joke hidden in there.

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I’m sure there is :rofl:. Can fit 5’ pipe in the GTI but that’s about the max without it being in the front seat.

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Wasn’t even thinking about trucks. I get that itch a lot lately as I have to borrow my dads truck every time I buy lumber. Hoping to get the wife a big enough SUV that 8’ lumber would be manageable in it.

Those low mile comparable trades make no sense to me.
The one that I didn’t get was the 18 gt350 with 5000 miles traded for a new superduty. the guy says the superduty wasn’t going to be his daily. So I’m sure that will be traded in a few years with low miles

The other I had to scratch my head was a 1300 miles diesel superduty traded in for a new superduty. And the older couple drove from Iowa.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Traded a 15 superduty with 1300 miles traded in for a 18 new superduty. Don’t understand that
A lot more common than you would think. Rich people who own them as tow vehicles and have something else to DD.

That’s how I ended up with my 2013 F-350 Platinum in early 2015 with 8,200 miles on it. Guy towed a 42’ Cigarette with it, sat in a heated, fully furnished 10,000 sq/ft section of his 380,000 sq/ft manufacturing company in Grayslake. He’s a family friend. I bought from him, he bought a ‘15 350 Platinum Dually, traded that in with no miles on a ‘17 450 Platinum dually, then in ‘18 the Limited came out so he got one of those.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
And Ironically I sold my 19,000 mile MK7 Golf when I bought that truck lol.

I’m sure there is :rofl:. Can fit 5’ pipe in the GTI but that’s about the max without it being in the front seat.

Put a hitch on and go snag a HF trailer. I did all kinds of shit with my TDI and that trailer.

14A61E9C-407A-41A5-9044-863E2392D0FB.jpeg

OP
RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of people go from GTIs to trucks, mostly Tacomas, on the VW Facebook groups.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of people go from GTIs to trucks, mostly Tacomas, on the VW Facebook groups.
That kinda makes sense honestly. Both vehicles kinda have a stereotype of owners and I could see that Venn diagram having a relatively large center lol

OP
RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
That kinda makes sense honestly. Both vehicles kinda have a stereotype of owners and I could see that Venn diagram having a relatively large center lol
Werd haha. If I were to go truck I’d probably do a Tacoma. That resale value especially here in CO is crazy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom