Emanuel Design Rear Sway Bar
034 Dog-bone Mount Inserts
Shop DAP Wheel Spacers
VW Motorsport Wheels
Yokohama Advan V601

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

OP:
After stressing over what to buy for the last few weeks I’ve finally made a decision and I’m happy with it.

Picked up a 2018 GTI SE w/ DSG & leather interior. Was the last 2018 GTI sitting on the lot at Emich VW in Denver and was heavily discounted.

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah lol. Not just an OBD2 scan here. An o2 spacer would work for the rear o2 codes but will a 200 or 400 cell cat pass the sniff test???

CO is just a few steps behind California with emissions unfortunately.

You could try an E30 tune, not sure if you can run a straight E85 tune. Passes sniff test easily.

Reactions: RedBeard

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
You could try an E30 tune, not sure if you can run a straight E85 tune. Passes sniff test easily.
Yeah actually that’s what started me looking into stuff this week. There’s a Kum & Go opening up a couple blocks from my house that will have E. I don’t want to deal with blending/testing ever again but looks like there’s some flex fuel tune options out there. They do require an upgrade to the high pressure fuel pump though which doesn’t look hard to do and around $400 for the parts.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
LOL, I've wasted so much time the last two days reading through this giant thread on the golfmk7 forum on it. 250 of 350 pages in...

I really hate the lack of logging/monitoring you can do with APR/UM and having to go to the dealer for any updates or changes. Cobb/EQT looks like the most user-friendly system but no flex fuel support. Want to just start "stage 1" but have to commit to one or else its crazy expensive to switch.

Not sure why I'm wasting my time. I ain't got no monies to do shit anyways.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
LOL, I've wasted so much time the last two days reading through this giant thread on the golfmk7 forum on it. 250 of 350 pages in...

cliff notes on pages 1-250? Worth it? Confirms Mooks's "APR IS SHIT" theories?

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
cliff notes on pages 1-250? Worth it? Confirms Mooks's "APR IS SHIT" theories?
Pages 1-300 seem to 😂

Just don’t take the car to the drag strip or run it with a draggy and you’ll be happy. Compare it to anything else and it’s pretty shit.

Few guys having emissions readiness issues that haven’t resolved yet as far as I’ve read to page 289 which is July 2022

• Haha
Reactions: Mook

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
But there’s also morons complaint about 1/8th mile and 0-60 times with base model open differential cars on the full boost AWD tunes that aren’t boost by gear.

No shit your street tire one wheel drive car with nearly 400ft-lbs of torque isn’t going to be fast to those metrics.

But also A3 Quattro guys with terrible 0-60 times.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
So don't do anything that requires you to notice how slow it is 😂
Yeah I’m still a year off from current posts so maybe some good revisions have come out. But it’s also the stock downpipe makes it spool slower giving less low end power.

That and I don’t think anyone on that forum knows how to drag race. Dudes going street tires and 38psi, heat soaking the car in the staging lanes running stock intercoolers.

Couple guys did track days with not issues. I can’t imagine the cats will hold up well to that repeatedly though.

• Haha
Reactions: Mook

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Finished reading the whole thread...

Seems most all kinks are worked out and most the emissions readiness complaints were actually issues with the cars not the APR hardware/tune. Lot of the bitching was guys comparing it to Stage 2 IS38 cars which are going to do well with high flow or no cats. But this is a great solution for states with inspection/sniff test.

Only real negative I took away from it is that the tune is super sensitive to IAT and pulls a bunch of power when it’s hot. So intercooler is required to make close to advertised numbers and even then it’s still down on hot days.

Really like the idea of shifting the power band up significantly and getting the good turbo noises from the larger than IS38 turbos so that’s why I’m looking at this and similar options.

Thankfully I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket so that gives EQT some time to develop and release something for the GTI with Vortex and stock downpipe. Think I’m between the APR kit and the eventual EQT setup.

Thread Info