Recommend me a new minivan!

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Our odyssey has been pretty good so far. Almost 140k on it. The transmission was shifting kind of weird, but I changed fluid on it, and it seems to be fine now. Sounds like a pretty common problem.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Our odyssey has been pretty good so far. Almost 140k on it. The transmission was shifting kind of weird, but I changed fluid on it, and it seems to be fine now. Sounds like a pretty common problem.

I had similar experience with my V6 Accord around 80k, it would hang a shift every once in a while.
I think the power is about at the capacity of the trans but fresh fluid helps them hang on.
One change corrected it but I did 2 just to be safe. $100 in Honda fluid is cheap compared to a transmission.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will do another one here shortly. I found some info on it in a tsb. It feels and looks like the torque converter is locking and unlocking at weird times. I couldn't believe how the fluid change helped.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will do another one here shortly. I found some info on it in a tsb. It feels and looks like the torque converter is locking and unlocking at weird times. I couldn't believe how the fluid change helped.
Yep that's what my Accord would do.
The response was very surprising, I was getting ready to trade it in vs. putting a trans in it.

TS
TS
Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Bump! Been a couple days and about 100 or so miles. Van is driving fine, but the check engine light came on this morning when I took it to the wash. Back to the dealer we go! Lol

The Beast

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
giphy.gif

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
That Chrysler hybrid life. Hopefully you aren't keeping it outside of warranty :io:

TS
TS
Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Van has been back at the dealer since last Tuesday. This time it is the electrical battery system coolant heater. Chrysler is asking the dealer to flash the vehicle before they order the part. Service advisor also told my wife today that Chrysler does not want to pay for a rental/loaner this time, to which he said don't worry about it and they will fight it out with Chrysler.

This battery coolant heater is an extremely common failure that I've seen on the Facebook hybrid group countless times. Lead times are all over the place so we'll see how many months we're without the van this time...lol. It's such a nice van, but what a pile of shite!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Van has been back at the dealer since last Tuesday. This time it is the electrical battery system coolant heater. Chrysler is asking the dealer to flash the vehicle before they order the part. Service advisor also told my wife today that Chrysler does not want to pay for a rental/loaner this time, to which he said don't worry about it and they will fight it out with Chrysler.

This battery coolant heater is an extremely common failure that I've seen on the Facebook hybrid group countless times. Lead times are all over the place so we'll see how many months we're without the van this time...lol. It's such a nice van, but what a pile of shite!
Are your issues more common on the hybrid versions?
My buddy has one that he bought about a year ago. Its the non hybrid version though, they love it and has been problem free.
I did a ceramic coat on it for him when he bought it and for a mini van the thing was nice AF. His has the pano roof, leather, black out package etc.

TS
TS
Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Are your issues more common on the hybrid versions?
My buddy has one that he bought about a year ago. Its the non hybrid version though, they love it and has been problem free.
I did a ceramic coat on it for him when he bought it and for a mini van the thing was nice AF. His has the pano roof, leather, black out package etc.
The two issues I have are directly related to the hybrid only model. And yea the thing is nice. We have a limited with every option...pano, black S package, everything. The van is fucking awesome and we love it, but if it cant stay on the road for more than a few days at a time...

TS
TS
Jeffs FRC

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Got the van back yesterday. Wife just called and said the lights on the dash are going crazy and the van is hard to drive....brakes going pulsating, barely able to accelerate, making crazy sounds, etc.

Anyone familiar with lemon laws in IL? Van has 11,xxx miles, but we've had it for about a year and nine months.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Got the van back yesterday. Wife just called and said the lights on the dash are going crazy and the van is hard to drive....brakes going pulsating, barely able to accelerate, making crazy sounds, etc.

Anyone familiar with lemon laws in IL? Van has 11,xxx miles, but we've had it for about a year and nine months.

Has to be the same issue 4 times within first 12 months of ownership.

Bru

Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score

Not specifically, but you'll have to start and follow the process that Chrysler outlines. Like if they want you to exhaust all complaints and options through the dealer first, then go through an arbitration process with BBB Auto Line or similar dispute process. Note that BBB or similar groups are not consumer advocate groups and don't have your best interest in mind.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Being beyond the first year of ownership, it might not qualify for lemon law claim.

Top Bottom