• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

recommend a good size cam for my T/A plz

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I wouldn't take a recommendation for a cam from just anybody because they very so much and really depend on what you want to live with. My recommendation is to all a couple vendors such as speed inc and Texas speed and talk to those guys about what sort of grind would best fit your needs and setup. If you daily it I wouldnt want something over a .600 lift as it can be hard on the valve train, but that is just me.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Specific cam I can't say... it would depend on what you want and how much "daily driving" you do. I do agree with with the above though and don't go crazy on the lift and duration of the cam for a daily driver. The added lift and duration is super hard on valve springs and in cold temps you have to be extra gentle on the throttle in freezing temps until the whole engine is up to temp. You do not want to know the damage a dropped valve due to spring failure can do to an engine.

I truly daily drive my car as its my only car and gets around 10-15K a year on it. I have a 2002 ZO6 cam and springs so no worries about valve spring problems but its really barely much of a cam. lol.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
More then half the people who respond to threads like this have no fucking idea what they are talking about when this question pops up... You will see everyone ramble off the shelf cam names ect... Better question is what kind of goals do you have in mind such as performance, drivability ect... From here your question can be better answered...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
There are so many questions at this point, that I would think anyone who recommended you a cam would be out of their mind in a way besides something production like a Z06 cam. First off, there are a few things that come into play when choosing a cam. Gear ratio, M6 vs A4, and stall speed if auto all come to mind and that includes the assumption the engine's otherwise stock. Bigger engine mods like headers, full exhaust porting etc. also change a cam choice. For anyone to make a recommendation professionally they're going to want this and possibly more info. Besides that I'd probably try to find a couple people with cammed LS engines of the same CID and trans type and see how they act. Don't forget a tune may be required to make it behave well.

Nick@SpeedInc.

Forum Sponsor
Jan 21, 2012
Well here i go, i want to put a nice cam in my 98 T/A but when i look for one they are many size's. I drive my car every day so i want something i can use every day. And not worry if its gona brake soon i search in texas speed and they have many good deals but i dont know what to get. Plz help me

As people have stated above, we need a little more info on the car. Our SI5v2 has been in a lot of daily driven, stock cube and stock headed cars. It has good street manors but also has a nice choppy idle. If you are an auto though it will require at least a 3600 stall for it to drive comfortably. Shoot me a PM if you would like, we can go over pricing and further options.

I'd hit up [MENTION=4655]Nick@SpeedInc.[/MENTION] for input. Speed has a good selection of cams!

Thanks Dan!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info