Recession around the corner?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co.’s $11 billion restructuring could cost 25,000 employees their jobs, exceeding the cutbacks General Motors announced last week, according to Morgan Stanley.

Ford has yet to detail its job cuts, but Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas predicts they could be larger than GM’s in a note to investors.

“We estimate a large portion of Ford’s restructuring actions will be focused on Ford Europe, a business we currently value at negative $7 billion,” Jonas wrote. “But we also expect a significant restructuring effort in North America, involving significant numbers of both salaried and hourly UAW and (Canadian union) workers.”

fuck

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
keep blaming sedans but they seem to be selling over at Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Honda. The American sedan is going the way of the minivan, Chrysler invented it and the Japanese and Koreans made it better.

But for fuck sake no bailout v2.0 this time. No fat suits rolling up to congress in their G650s. I'm sorry but its quite a slap in the tax payers face seeing all those "saved GM jobs" disappearing 10 years later.... and Chrysler being bought out by a foreign car company.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
i think it pretty unlikely we're heading into a recession right now.

Exactly, we're not far enough removed from the last one. Inflation usually continues for a while after a recession with correction spread through out. Cars have been lasting up to 200,000 miles, how do you expect to sell as many cars when they used to last half as long.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Exactly, we're not far enough removed from the last one. Inflation usually continues for a while after a recession with correction spread through out. Cars have been lasting up to 200,000 miles, how do you expect to sell as many cars when they used to last half as long.

actually one of the claims that we're due for one is based on how far we have gone without one; by number of months, i believe we're at the longest expansion on record (245 months)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
keep blaming sedans but they seem to be selling over at Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Honda. The American sedan is going the way of the minivan, Chrysler invented it and the Japanese and Koreans made it better.

But for fuck sake no bailout v2.0 this time. No fat suits rolling up to congress in their G650s. I'm sorry but its quite a slap in the tax payers face seeing all those "saved GM jobs" disappearing 10 years later.... and Chrysler being bought out by a foreign car company.

They're leaning up to prepare for a slowdown. They also know that they can't stay staffed at capacity that supports 17m units/year of sales in the US without going bankrupt in the next slowdown.

Do you want them to make fiscally responsible decisions, or do you want to bail them out. Pick one...the way you worded your comment makes it seem like they should keep employing everyone while also performing well in every business cycle. That's now how it works

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
They're leaning up to prepare for a slowdown. They also know that they can't stay staffed at capacity that supports 17m units/year of sales in the US without going bankrupt in the next slowdown.

Do you want them to make fiscally responsible decisions, or do you want to bail them out. Pick one...the way you worded your comment makes it seem like they should keep employing everyone while also performing well in every business cycle. That's now how it works

I just like how they blame sedans for their failures. People just dont want to buy their sedans. Obviously fiscally responsible is the preferred method and I dont like to see history repeat itself after we already gave them 49 billion tax dollars to become fiscally responsible and save jobs. If the Americans don't want to produce sedans, they're basically handing off an entire market segment to the Japanese and Koreans. In which the foreign makers will undoubtedly continue reinvesting those increased sales into EVs and more trendy crossover SUVs...err I mean raised sedans.

edit: all i'm trying to say is I hope their restructuring plans are successful in the long term. I don't think its fair to the American tax payer if we had to bail them out again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info