• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Rear es bushung mod

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
What is the rear es bushung mod ?

I designed this mod after realizing the Addco bushings are shit! They are hard as a rock and squeak like a MF.

If you have a Proguard or Addco rear sway bars and have an annoying squeak that you cant chase down its one of the two

It is a bracket that allows you to grease the bushing via grease zerk.
If you don't take corners like a maniac you don't need it.

I need this. LOL

Yes you do need it! :D

Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Check my threads!

Your mom haz some. Wa Wa We Waaaaa!!

This is NOT the other site. We're serious about Marauder tech over here.

This mod will allow you to apply the same type Energy Suspension bushing to the rear of the car that is easily adapted to the front of the car. It works GREAT and as far as I know there is only 3 MMs running this mod.

Try it if you like! :biggthump

Original thread dated 1/19/2011:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70589

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
fastblackmerc already did that.
install a zerk in the strap and drill the bushing directly over the zerk.

I already proved FBM wrong on his claim to have used the stock bushing with an ES bushing. He's lying because it will not work, the stock strap has a ridge thats tall in the center, the ES bushing is flat all the way around. I asked him how does the grease get to the bar when its filling the ridge in the stock strap and asked for pics and he changed the story 2~3 times.

The bullshit flag has been thrown!

I will post pics of the stock strap and an ES bushing tomorrow.

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
I had a few minutes this morning to head out to my shop and put this little demonstration together before heading out to work.

Here is a pic of both the correct ES bushing PN#9.5161 and the stock single hole strap on all 03 and up Panthers. The ES bushing can be had in both the original red or the black which is graphite empregnated
IMG_0595.jpg

Now to my point about Fastblackmerc's "claim" to have used the stock strap with one of these bushings. Lets begin by looking at both setups beginning with the stock strap. Notice there is a raised area that runs down the center of the strap. This was put there to "seat" the stock bushing (the stock bushing as well as the Addco both have this raised area molded onto their bushings). It basically keeps the bushing from rotating or becoming unseated.
IMG_0596.jpg

Now according to Jim he drilled and tapped a zerk fitting on this strap to accommodate the ES bushing. So in an attempt to keep him and anyone else from calling me out on my findings I did the same thing :D
IMG_0600.jpg

Now lets take a closer look at the zerk fitting. As you can see it's highest point is clearly under the raised area within the stock strap.
IMG_0602.jpg

So if the zerk fitting is that low inside of the strap how does the grease get past this raised area, through the bushing, and to the bar?
Answer is....
It doesn't it fills the raised area on the strap and thats about as far as it goes.
IMG_0601.jpg

If someone wants to call shenanigans on my "zerk fitting too short" theory, there's more.
You didn't think I was done yet did you?
Lets install the ES bushing in the stock strap for kicks and giggles. The ES bushing is far too wide (this issue will cause the ES bushing to travel side to side in a hard cornering situation) there is atleast 1/4" of play
IMG_0604.jpg

The final nail in Jim's theory.
I pulled out a piece of flat stock to see where the bushing will land when its finally bolted into place and look what I found. The bushing WILL NOT seat on the mounting perch, its too short for the stock strap.
IMG_0605.jpg

Moral of the story? Don't believe everything you read even if it comes from a somewhat "reliable source"
because this mod never happened.

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
Now on to the ES bushing.

Notice the bushing molds around the strap? There is no way this bushing is coming unseated in a hard corner
IMG_0599.jpg

Lets look at the zerk fitting on the ES strap. Its flat on the inside and the bushing has a tit that sits right against the zerk fitting
IMG_0598.jpg

Last, lets look at how it will seat when bolted down on the mounting perch
It looks to me its going to squeeze tight to get a good grab on the swaybar. The bushing is clearly taller than the mounting strap
IMG_0606.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This information was compiled and delivered by yours truly Musclemerc as an attempt to keep this CSVT free of ficticious mods and to keep the information flowing so Marauder owners can make real mods to their beloved cars :biggthump

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
Well this is definitely weird....

IDK if it's a model year issue, but when I got my ENS bushings for my 21mm rear swaybar, they definitely fit the stock strap, they weren't flat like the one you showed, they had the bump like the stock one that fit in that raised area. I did order new ones, and I think I still might have the old ones. Granted, this was like 10 years ago when I bought these. They didn't come with brackets or anything, just the two poly pieces. I think it might have come in a kit, complete with the endlinks IIRC. I'll have to check that out now...lol

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
FBM is on my list of people to tell to fuck off by the way.
Can't wait to do it in person!

I'll have to agree, he can always help you, for a dollar figure attached to it, and, your never right, only he is, he's the authority on everything.

That said, he really pissed me off with his LCM fix, $50 for a 90 cent relay, and 10 minutes of time = I am here to help the community.

My solution, send me your bad LCM from a Marauder, I'll fix and ship it for free back to you, I'll do the same here for Marauder owners.

Sorry for the hijack, FBM hit a nerve.

musclemerc

Addict
Jan 6, 2010
I'll have to agree, he can always help you, for a dollar figure attached to it, and, your never right, only he is, he's the authority on everything.

That said, he really pissed me off with his LCM fix, $50 for a 90 cent relay, and 10 minutes of time = I am here to help the community.

My solution, send me your bad LCM from a Marauder, I'll fix and ship it for free back to you, I'll do the same here for Marauder owners.

Sorry for the hijack, FBM hit a nerve.

Yeah, this thread got derailed fast.

I made my comments to clear up the myth Jim passed around for years about ES bushings and the stock strap. I have no personal issues with him.

Maybe you should start a thread on MM.net and tell them how you feel so he can have an opportunity to reply. I have been on Marauder forums since 03 and never read anything from you showing discontent till now.

Why did you wait so long, and why not post it over there? :confused:

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
Yeah, this thread got derailed fast.

I made my comments to clear up the myth Jim passed around for years about ES bushings and the stock strap. I have no personal issues with him.

Maybe you should start a thread on MM.net and tell them how you feel so he can have an opportunity to reply. I have been on Marauder forums since 03 and never read anything from you showing discontent till now.

Why did you wait so long, and why not post it over there? :confused:

PM sent.......

massacre

Regular
May 25, 2011
Just to follow up, so you all don't think I'm full of shit, I was at the garage today working on the car and snapped a couple pics of my old ENS bushings.

Here is a shot where you can see the part # 5519

And here is the raised section that fits into that groove on the stock strap:

Like I said, these are like 10 years old, and they are obviously pretty beat up from 10 years of road salt and shitty New England weather.
I think I can drill this style bushing out and put in a zerk fitting, but IIRC don't the greaseable ENS bushings have a narrow channel that runs around the circumference of the bar to allow the grease to be dispersed evenly?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info