• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Rear 99-04 IRS wheel hub

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
From Ford's shop manual:

Attachments

• IRS knuckle.gif
    IRS knuckle.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 232

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
the bearings will stay in the knuckle when you press the hub out of the knuckle.
As mentioned above, the snap rings hold the bearings in the knuckle.

Although I have done similar setups, I haven't done one for the Cobra yet. You may end up taking it somewhere that has a hydraulic press to have this done, if you don't have one.

Probably should make sure that you have the right part before you dismantle the car too.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
If you are just changing the hub, you shouldn't be messing with the bearings.
If you are replacing them because you can, then from the pictures, it doesn't appear to be a special snap ring. You may just need a larger pair of pliers.

And as mentioned above, use care when reassembling the hub. You must support the inner bearing race when presssing the hub back in.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I was going to replace the bearings since I was already in there. However, the hub is super tight and only got it to move a 1/4". Guessing 150lbs on my compresssor isnt enough.

Anyways...on the diagram the clip looks like its 2 closed loop ends but on mine its not. They are open and angled. I have a bunch of different tips for the clip pliers but I guess the pliers are to small for this ring clip like you mentioned.

Thanks for your help!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
If there are no holes for you to grab the ring with, then just pry the thing out. Use a couple of small screwdrivers and get behind it and lift it out.
If the hub is in there that tight, you may need to take it to an automotive machine shop or somewhere they have a press.

If you do it wrong, you can damage the knuckle or the bearings or the hub.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info