Rear 99-04 IRS wheel hub

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
How do you remove it? One of the lug holes is bad and I want to remove it and replace with a new hub only.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
the knuckle has to be removed from the car and the hub has to be pressed out of the knuckle.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
Thanks man :biggthump

Isnt there some sort of Camber adjustment I should mark when removing the knuckle?

Are the bearing pressed on the knuckle or the hub? I really dont need to change them unless I have to!

Fast99Snake

track rat
Reaction score
the bearings are in the knuckle, remove hub then pop out that snap ring and pop out those bearings
my hubs were a bitch to press out, they did not want to come out!!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
There are 2 cams at the top of the knuckle. Mark them before you loosen anything up. You'll see the cams after you take the wheel off the car.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
Thanks for your helps guys!!

Can I leave my bearings in place? I just want to get the hub off. Or do I need to remove them to remove the hub. I'm going to do this today sometime.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
the bearings will stay in the knuckle when you press the hub out of the knuckle.
As mentioned above, the snap rings hold the bearings in the knuckle.

Although I have done similar setups, I haven't done one for the Cobra yet. You may end up taking it somewhere that has a hydraulic press to have this done, if you don't have one.

Probably should make sure that you have the right part before you dismantle the car too.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
You can destroy the bearing by pressing the hub back in without supporting the bearing from the other side.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
Is the retaining clip on the back side of the knuckle a Ford tool? My ring clip aplliers are not doing the job!

Thanks for all the great tips and advice!!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
If you are just changing the hub, you shouldn't be messing with the bearings.
If you are replacing them because you can, then from the pictures, it doesn't appear to be a special snap ring. You may just need a larger pair of pliers.

And as mentioned above, use care when reassembling the hub. You must support the inner bearing race when presssing the hub back in.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
I was going to replace the bearings since I was already in there. However, the hub is super tight and only got it to move a 1/4". Guessing 150lbs on my compresssor isnt enough.

Anyways...on the diagram the clip looks like its 2 closed loop ends but on mine its not. They are open and angled. I have a bunch of different tips for the clip pliers but I guess the pliers are to small for this ring clip like you mentioned.

Thanks for your help!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
If there are no holes for you to grab the ring with, then just pry the thing out. Use a couple of small screwdrivers and get behind it and lift it out.
If the hub is in there that tight, you may need to take it to an automotive machine shop or somewhere they have a press.

If you do it wrong, you can damage the knuckle or the bearings or the hub.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
Getting that giant snap ring out is the hardest part of the job, provided you have a press and the right step plates.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
Yea I have the wrong tools! Job is just sitting on my bench till I can get the right stuff. I 'm going tohave to find a shop with a press now also.

the vidoe links are great but I cant get the Rear Knuckle and Halfshaft Removal video to play.

anyone have a press lol:p

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
I got my press from harbor freight and the step plates i scrounged off ebay

Mystic Terminator

Reaction score
You can get the ring out with long nose pliars. Just make sure they are long nose and not needle nose, yes there is a difference...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom