RdRnnR's adventures in dyno land

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
first off shout out to mook for changin my name from the yingyangthang into somethin a lil more comfortable :bowdown:but i spose i better get to my thread here,

i really never thought id ever see the day that i got out of the big farm tire game but i guess life changes faster than i think sometimes, and now that its official i gotta let ya all know

long story short half a lifetime of doin that stuff wears on a guy and the 7 years of runnin my own biz as a one man show might as well have been in dog years, so i got a hair up my ass and sold the ol war wagon to a good friend of mine that i know will take care of my good customers and rolled back to full time shop status and im already drowning in mechanical in the couple days since ive gone public with it so im off to a great start at least. i just cant be everywhere all the time anymore and dammit the older i get the more throwin those big bastards around hurts, not to mention 2020 probs with price increases, stock issues and all the rest. be amazed how fast stuff starts gettin brought in and how fast attitudes change for better or worse when you tell em thats whats up tho. ill miss it but whatever i still got a pair of bars if i wanna remind myself of the suck. also steppin down as the baddest damn tire guy in the midwest (damn right ill toot my horn on that one for what i accomplished) rather than hangin it out til somethin else made me has its own satisfaction as well, but im boutta try and do it again...

and as many rides as ive been into with the ol hptuners and the fact that i just cant be happy doin normal things for whatever reason its just really hard to not put that knowledge to use when im watchin people beg for tuners left and right on the marketplace. so i also ordered a Mustang MD-150-SE dyno with the portability package and figured id bang out some weekends at the track and the car shows when i get the chance to add to it all. kinda super excited and kinda scared outta my ass at the same time cuz i kinda gotta make the thing pay for itself and try to keep up with what i was makin and mechanical would probably do it but it aint near as much fun and im not tryin to crunch book hours

guess ive got some questions tho, has anybody got experience with the holeshot software and can give me an idea how it compares to what i know? theyre gonna crash course me on it in a few weeks when i go out to pick it up but other than that im pretty in the dark on it, may also need a lil help with deezuls at some point cuz im sure thats gonna come up and ive kinda tried to stay away from that with the epa business lately however when it comes to makin money theres alot of those around here and i cant be real picky anymore.

also can anybody ballpark me on what i should be chargin? i dont wanna be shady and fake call one of the other guys and price em out and be that guy, thats always been shitty business to me and it aint my style. sides that the shop a couple hours away could probably stomp me out real quick if they wanted to with the following they got so i kinda wanna ease into this and get some rep built like i had or have with what i already had goin on and still do. lil different ballgame than bangin out a work truck in an hour or two for a couple hundred bucks and i dont wanna sell myself short and seem cheap and halfass and i dont wanna shoot myself over the moon or believe i can charge what guys with years of experience do either.

im really not tryin to get grilled by the epa either so im gonna try and be as strict as possible about keepin to the rules and im not sure what can slide if anything im sure ill have a microscope on me at this point now when it comes to that

or really anything else i should be doin to make this thing kick ass, i think itd be pretty hard to fail once i get the swing of it but ya never know and i like to minimize the risk as much as possible even tho i do dumb things like this on a moments notice 🤷‍♂️ but if theres somethin you wish other guys would do and dont and itd swing your decision on where to go lay it out here and ill do my best to make sure im the guy that does it

thanks in advance for what you guys can help me with here, your sick builds and willingness to help has definitely played a factor in my confidence level when it comes to this, i mean i could probably fumble my way through it like everything else as long as i make it look good but tossin a lil sauce on it and havin a clue what im gettin into will definitely be beneficial and if any of you ever get down this way let me know ill definitely hook it up with that tcg discount :sneaky: yall aint failed me yet so tell me how batshit crazy i am here this might be a hell of a party

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Damn, man! Congrats! That's a huge leap.

As far as charging, I don't have a dyno. I may not be the guy to ask. It seems like $125 just to strap a car down and make a pull for the sake of getting numbers is pretty common. To have Dyno Brian tune my car from start to finish was $600. That included a base tune which he emailed me, and then putting him in the driver seat until the tune was dialed. There was no time limit. There's also re-strapping fees for if the car comes off the dyno for any reason, and clean-up fees for if somebody's jalopy spews its guts on your floor. lol

Good luck. This is cool as hell. You better post a bunch of videos!!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
There's a one-man shop I follow on Facebook and Instagram. He's kind of a Turbo Buick wiz, and he recently bought a hub dyno. The videos he posted made it look like a pretty steep learning curve just to get thing calibrated and working properly. You seem like a pretty persistent and motivated guy though. You'll figure it out!

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in lincoln that bought a dyno a couple years ago. I'm thinking he charges about $80 an hour, but not sure. I wouldn't do it for less than $100 after you get it figured out.

GLADIATOR

Are you not entertained?
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your new endeavors. In the old terminator days I remember the old CSVT boys and girls would lease a dyno and bring in their own tuner. Maybe that’s an option for you to lease it out for a day to different clubs/groups?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your new endeavors. In the old terminator days I remember the old CSVT boys and girls would lease a dyno and bring in their own tuner. Maybe that’s an option for you to lease it out for a day to different clubs/groups?
I went to a similar event in Joliet with the Chicagoland Buick club when I was like 12. Good times.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I feel partially responsible for this.
dude its fine i wouldve done it anyway😂

Damn, man! Congrats! That's a huge leap.

As far as charging, I don't have a dyno. I may not be the guy to ask. It seems like $125 just to strap a car down and make a pull for the sake of getting numbers is pretty common. To have Dyno Brian tune my car from start to finish was $600. That included a base tune which he emailed me, and then putting him in the driver seat until the tune was dialed. There was no time limit. There's also re-strapping fees for if the car comes off the dyno for any reason, and clean-up fees for if somebody's jalopy spews its guts on your floor. lol

Good luck. This is cool as hell. You better post a bunch of videos!!
with my circus act on facebook you can count on it i guess im thinkin 100 bucks to get on it and 100 an hour after that
There's a one-man shop I follow on Facebook and Instagram. He's kind of a Turbo Buick wiz, and he recently bought a hub dyno. The videos he posted made it look like a pretty steep learning curve just to get thing calibrated and working properly. You seem like a pretty persistent and motivated guy though. You'll figure it out!
i mean gettin it set up will be the hard part i think

I have a friend in lincoln that bought a dyno a couple years ago. I'm thinking he charges about $80 an hour, but not sure. I wouldn't do it for less than $100 after you get it figured out.
barnyard or the shop? the shop is the one everyones all about, thats what im worried about is trying to keep up with those guys but i guess all i really do is gotta make payments and try not to blow shit up lol

Insurance is going to suck
you aint wrong, i got like 4 insurance people already for the road service tire thing anyway, be surprised what it takes if you could kill somebody anyday lol

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm gonna be real anyway guys the service truck thing was toxic as hell, shit ran my life, took too much of me away from my kids, and floating 15k worth of tractor tires on a single invoice to wait for em to pay their bill ultimately tipped me over. Truth be told I had some guys hold out on me, some bankruptcies hit me, and during slow season was the worst time for it to happen, add not bein able to find anyyyooonnneee that wants to do this it was better to sell it to a friend so it'd be worth his time, be able to keep my llc and my ltz tooled up in case this doesn't work out, and I've been swamped at the shop anyway. A guys gotta grow up at some point and the kids family on the other side does actual real race car things way bigger than my shenanigans and were working on Jr drags so im gonna need more time so I can be there and help em. Besides that an hour in either direction for one and those guys bein months out its a no brainer and what I don't know ill learn. I was slappin main bearings in straight 6 irrigation motors when I was 14 and have always been a huge computer need when I didn't get caught anyway so it'll be alot more about using my potential than beatin the hell out of myself really

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
When life get's tough, buy a friggen chassis dyno.

I wish I had the stones and drive to start and run a business. I like my time off too much. lol

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score

I wish I had the stones and drive to start and run a business. I like my time off too much. lol
Dude when I started this it was cuz I got pissed and walked out on runnin the shop at Goodyear, took my last paycheck bought some recap truck tires banged em out in my buddies shop and just rolled hard. They actually offered me an office job when they heard I was gettin out but I can't go back to that unless I had no other choice even tho the money was tempting. This doesn't scare me near as much when I've actually got cash flow rollin tho and it's actually fun.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score

Also with your fab skills you'd bank so don't ever think you couldn't

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
In regards to setup, doesn't the company that sold it or mustang come out and help you with this? I know eons back, I looked in to a DynoJet and part of the price was the setup and support.

Granted if you did an in-ground, you'd be on the hook for the pit, concrete work, electrical, etc, but...

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
In regards to setup, doesn't the company that sold it or mustang come out and help you with this? I know eons back, I looked in to a DynoJet and part of the price was the setup and support.

Granted if you did an in-ground, you'd be on the hook for the pit, concrete work, electrical, etc, but...
Ok so they might come out but it's savin me 5k to go out there and get it and run through their training course for a day so im definitely goin that route. I'd just kinda like to get my hands on the software beforehand and get a feel for that and see what's different than how hpt works. I'm not particularly fond of it bein web based but I shouldn't ever have to pay for licenses again at least

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Also I went directly through Mustang and their financing guy on it and they've been pretty legit about keepin me informed on status. Right now the papers are signed and the purchase order is done and I'm waiting for an email saying funds have been transferred so they can start on building it

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah barnyard. He grew up a couple miles from our farm, so I've known him since we were little kids.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Yeah barnyard. He grew up a couple miles from our farm, so I've known him since we were little kids.
Nice! From what I've heard he's a solid dude, the only ones I've heard problems with are the guys that aren't actually legit honestly, and I can attest to that with some of the files I've pulled. And a couple pissed off with the guy west of here but I've heard some good there too and haven't got my hands on any of his stuff cuz the couple guys I know with it have been pretty 🐓💩 about lettin me look and I've got a feeling it's more mechanical than tuning probs.

It's gonna be a tough racket to get a name built in but I needed a new challenge in life anyway. Its pretty easy pickin on tire shops if you got half a head and some ambition but goin up against some pretty respected guys is gonna make me stick to my A game for sure. Thankfully there's plenty of demand and I've got a pretty good reputation for what I have done to be able to even have half a chance at it

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I think I mightve actually done somethin pretty awesome here guys. Got a throttle body to port and polish in the works after a guy walked in the shop and saw the job I think still needs alot of work on my 3800. Been just gettin pounded with auto and light truck stuff at the shop and calls about carryout stuff. Mention the dyno and they're like oh yeah I've got friends thatd be down to ride it too well bring em out to ya. Got a late model chevy that recently had lift struts put in to do the diff drop on and figure out if they broke a speed sensor wire or if not unplugging the power steering connectors just pissed the computer off that bad and along with it goes an alignment and clean up the pcm on it. Scheduled out til Thursday which is about normal and that's with working over the weekend since I'll be here anyway and I now don't have the fuel inputs of puttin 30some thousand miles a year on and thats gonna be huge with rising fuel costs.

Things are still kinda scary and I'd still like to find a trailer but I'm kinda relaxin on that thinkin that I'm probably gonna have to put somebody on my tire machine sooner than later. Just gotta get dug out from this shitty winter and as long as I play by the rules this is gonna be awesome. At this point the damn thing sells itself a guy could probably make it pay for itself on just doin pulls without even cracking a computer open

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
IMO, doing what you love and getting paid for it is a lot better than doing what you no longer want to. Good luck!
Man thats exactly what its all about. And how many kids get to experience that kinda thing growing up and have the opportunity to get into it at a young age? Way less work than beatin the hell out of myself in the cold hopin today isnt the day a tractor falls on me. My old job even offered me even better to come back and have my own showroom office but I respectfully declined as I think their offer was also out of respect and I wanna maintain my good relationships around here as best I can. If I make it happen I can say I did the ol man proud and did right by my kids to teach them somethin they can always use in life and show them they can do anything they want as long as they keep their shit together and work for it and that's what matters most at this point.

Enough of my sappy shit tho and rather than startin a new thread I'll see if I can get Mook to change the name to rdrnnrs adventures in dyno things or somethin and start puttin up my daily shenanigans and cool shit that comes in and out the door. Should be a hoot

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Now you need an Engine dyno too. :)

I'd love to have one if I had a garage. It would be awesome to build the engine on the stand and be able tune it before it ever went into the car. Need to change a part, well its not in a car so super easy to change it out and see the difference.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Now you need an Engine dyno too. :)

I'd love to have one if I had a garage. It would be awesome to build the engine on the stand and be able tune it before it ever went into the car. Need to change a part, well its not in a car so super easy to change it out and see the difference.
Seeee. Long story but the kids grandpa has one in town at his dad's race shop and those guys roll hard. Like gluing tires to beadlocks hard. We had an idea to get the kids in it and I was into this turbo and tuning thing deep and that's when I started thinkin. What's next is history I guess lol

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Alright, so why not just turn this into a thread of my daily shenanigans, I've already got some cool things cookin and I may as well share my madness 😂

Still staying pretty steady with tire work even just bein here but I decided this shop needed flipped upside down and the years of tire shop dirt in the corners and my pile of tools needed taken care of so I started on that today. Pry scoot that pontiac flag over hang a TV there and figure out how to get the dyno screen on it.

Snapchat-774140473.jpg

Got ahold of this sweet little thing and have dirty plans to send some poor small engine to Jupiter when I get around to it

Snapchat-2083452585.jpg

sold the hood off z swift to a pretty cool dude and helped him get it in and lighten his nos car up

FB_IMG_1619154740262.jpg

Knocked out a couple old school alignments and a diff drop

Snapchat-523100265.jpg Snapchat-1523812187.jpg Snapchat-1457493548.jpg

Got my car goin again and diggin my feet in pretty hard with this now that I can get it in and out of the shop. Got an early 70s gto comin in next week for fuel issues, a dod delete on a Tahoe, and a set of new heads on a vortec 350 comin up as soon as he can get it here,probably some struts on an impala, a few sets of tires...not even real sure what day it is without lookin...

Plus I scored a trailer house heater with the ac coils in it and I think I'm gonna try hooking the hose up through it so I can have shop ac and water the garden at the same time this summer.

I know there's alot of stuff I can still learn especially when it comes to non gm things, but guys I really think I got somethin here. And as long as I bust ass like I did with the farm tires and keep my reputation for bein a straight up honest dude about shit it feels like this is gonna be alot better decision than I thought, it definitely already shows in my lil hole in the wall shop.

Snapchat-523100265.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Alright I really should be better about updating this but I would really just not advise anyone make abrupt life choices like I do sometimes o_O

Been shovin out what seems like all the rest of the tires I can out of this place tryin to pay back the remnants of my credit line, tryin to book new stuff and keep things goin and tryin to get out from under any equipment I can without sacrificing what im gonna need which may even include my tire machine at this point but I'm leavin that one up to God.

It's a huge change in thought process from bangin shit out tryin to hustle checks in and tryin to make somethin nice and do it right and it's really been pretty overwhelming. Couple that with havin dick for track experience and I'm kinda hit with the perfect storm of oh fuck.

I guess I've just kinda kept my nose down in the shop tryin to get my bird goin and make it as nice and badass as I possibly can so I can prove I can handle my own on the tuning and building side.

Picked up a cheap tig welder and I'm actually pretty decent with mild steel so I copped a hand jack exhaust bender and I guess we're buildin turbos.

Got some other side things cookin to try and float myself as well got a wrecked 06 1500 with a good drivetrain to stuff in the red catfish out back and gonna see what I can do with injectors and turbos layin around here to make some power and flip it for a chunk and still got some mechanical stuff comin in but it's all gettin pretty real and pretty tight. I need this thing to get done and get here and start makin me some money before life starts to really suck

Anyways if you haven't seen it my crazy 3800 bird is over here and I've kinda gone batshit on it lately so check it out and cross your fingers I can make it fast enough to save my ass :ROFLMAO: https://www.thechicagogarage.com/threads/3800-turbogoose.175949/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom