Ray Dalio: Why and how capitalism needs to be reformed.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I suppose I liked the paper so much because it supports my point of view, which I think is somewhere in the middle politically.

Our current political atmosphere, social and economic problems are all self perpetuating systems that are continuing to devolve. There’s no sign of making concessions from either end and that’s what truly needs to happen for anything meaningful to be accomplished.

I really have no idea which way the next political cycle is going to swing. If the democrats get a solid candidate together I think they’d have it in the bag. Their party is very divided at the moment though too and people are going to be single issue voters.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Good article and thanks for sharing. Still reading through.

I'm a little interested in this statistic, and his listed source is pretty generic. Chicagoland goes against this statistic. Our local private schools (mostly religious schools) spend significantly less per student than their public school counterparts....yet the private schools provide higher test scores.

I believe the quality of education is comparable in Chicagoland at a private school vs. public school. The difference is people willing to spend the money to send their kids to private school are much more likely to have a "traditional" family and "force" the children to perform well in school because they are spending hard earned money on it.

So is it the money driving better performance? Or is it the home life of the student driving the better performance? If it is the latter, is it the system failing these people, or is it their parents (or lack thereof)?

Don't think there is a right answer, or right solution, but I've always internally debated this.

By comparison, private schools on average both spend considerably more on students and produce better outcomes. Private schools in the US spend about 70% more per student than public schools do, with the median private school spending about $23,000 per student in 2016, compared to about $14,000 for the average public school.xxxv This higher spending translates to higher test scores: in the last round of PISA testing, US private school students scored on average 4.3% higher than public school students across math, reading, and science exams. Over the three PISA surveys since 2009, private school students have scored on average 6.9% higher.xxxvi

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd say it would be a fair statement that parents that send their kids to private school give a shit about the kids educational development. If parents do not support the school's efforts, the kids are not as likely to succeed. I'd be interested to see an attendance rate comparison between private schools and public schools in the inner-city. I'm guessing there is a significant variance. It's easier to learn if you actually show up to class.

When I was in St. Louis a month ago, I was at a gas station in the middle of a school day. There were lots of kids there, lots.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
I ran across this blog post a couple of days ago, enjoyed its insights and relative lack of political bias. It’s a longer read and there are a lot of charts posted, only providing a link.

https://economicprinciples.org/Why-and-How-Capitalism-Needs-To-Be-Reformed/
i did a lot of skimming but overall this looked pretty well thought out and agreeable.

Good article and thanks for sharing. Still reading through.

I'm a little interested in this statistic, and his listed source is pretty generic. Chicagoland goes against this statistic. Our local private schools (mostly religious schools) spend significantly less per student than their public school counterparts....yet the private schools provide higher test scores.

I believe the quality of education is comparable in Chicagoland at a private school vs. public school. The difference is people willing to spend the money to send their kids to private school are much more likely to have a "traditional" family and "force" the children to perform well in school because they are spending hard earned money on it.

So is it the money driving better performance? Or is it the home life of the student driving the better performance? If it is the latter, is it the system failing these people, or is it their parents (or lack thereof)?

Don't think there is a right answer, or right solution, but I've always internally debated this.
my guess for that in chicago specifically would be a lot more attributable to home life.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
We private school ours and both of us (particularly my Wife in spades), are heavily involved with them. From doing homework every night at the dining room table and working through issues with them, to participating in school functions (not just sports, but other school/educational enrichment types of things), that I feel they're much further ahead on the learning scale than their public school counterparts. This isn't us "forcing" anything on them, but when they see that we're not just shuffling them off to a hell hole that they can't wait to get out of, and that we're actually with them on this, they are more receptive to learning I think.

One thing we note is that they LOVE school and LOVE being involved in all these activities.

Not trying to get into a public vs. private debate as we've had that before. Just that I think that watching them with their public school peers in our neighborhood, they're further along on the educational curve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom