• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ranger Brake line to rear

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
OK, Uncle has a 99 4X4 Ranger with a 4.0. The brake line to the hose in back is rusted through. Is this going to be as much of a pain in the dick as I think it's going to be? I have a roll and the tools to do inverted flare, just trying to figure out any tips/tricks. Seems like a gas tank drop may be advisable as well. Input?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What about yanking the bed? Someone mentioned that as an option.

I did this exact repair on my roomates old truck, if I recall correctly, pulling the bed was completely un-necessary unless you REALLY want super easy access.

There is only one line off the front ABS unit to the rear truck's T joint that sits above the rear differential.

Commonly it rusts right at the dog-leg it has by the cab corner, but that line just 'tucks' inside the C channel of the frame from what I recall.

The hardest part is getting a clean cut from CLEAN brake line, sometimes its easier to remove the rear line completely in pieces, and then pre-bend/pre-make the setup in 2 or 3 pieces and then install them.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I did this exact repair on my roomates old truck, if I recall correctly, pulling the bed was completely un-necessary unless you REALLY want super easy access.

There is only one line off the front ABS unit to the rear truck's T joint that sits above the rear differential.

Commonly it rusts right at the dog-leg it has by the cab corner, but that line just 'tucks' inside the C channel of the frame from what I recall.

The hardest part is getting a clean cut from CLEAN brake line, sometimes its easier to remove the rear line completely in pieces, and then pre-bend/pre-make the setup in 2 or 3 pieces and then install them.

I have a roll, so I figured I would just bend a sold line. Did you have to worry about the retainer clips at all?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have a roll, so I figured I would just bend a sold line. Did you have to worry about the retainer clips at all?

Bending it out of one line is a bit hard, IIRC the bends you need off the ABS unit to under the cab made it easier to just make 2 separate lines. If you don't care about it looking super pretty or following the exact same path as the old one, this obviously doesn't matter.

Most those clips were in pretty good shape on the truck we were working on, and I think just 'pop-in', and aren't the serrated/locking kind. Granted the truck I was working on was a 2001, so I don't know if they changed designs for the clips at some point.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You can unbolt the bed and prop up one side with a 2x4. Easier than completely removing it.

NiCopp brake line great stuff and super easy to bend & unbend and flare.

I don't think people understand how much of a bitch rusted bed bolts are.

The HARD part is just getting the bolts out, or even backed up enough to tilt.

Removing the bed once the bolts are out is a one-man job for a ranger, even the metal beds don't weigh much at all.

Its really not worth even attacking them unless you are working on a fuel pump or fuel line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info