Random BMW craigslist & ebay finds

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If the price is right. I might have interest.

This is probably better then me grabbing a 328i

Let me check comps on my 2009 and I'll get you a number. I was looking at a deal on a 2015 X5M but due to other financial stuff I had to going on at the end of the year I had to pass on it. So I don't have a car I am immediately looking at. So if you are cool waiting for a little while I am sure mine would be a good deal. Especially with all the known issues being taken care of, maintenance is done, and upgrades it has.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
This thing was a blast to drive and the color was killer on it. But also saw it was getting rotors and tires like every 15k miles. Which was very concerning.

20200106_083943.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Yaj Yak Yaj Yak ?

i was thinkin' about your situation.

i mean you have RACECARS.

is a turbo one of these necessary? it's not like they are "fast" especially compared to your other rides.

there's NA straight six wagons out there, that always tickle my fancy... they run 14.2/14.3s to 14.7/14.8s it seems, which isn't going to win many races but at least it can get out of it's own way.

and again, i mean this is a commuting pig for you, right?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
i was thinkin' about your situation.

i mean you have RACECARS.

is a turbo one of these necessary? it's not like they are "fast" especially compared to your other rides.

there's NA straight six wagons out there, that always tickle my fancy... they run 14.2/14.3s to 14.7/14.8s it seems, which isn't going to win many races but at least it can get out of it's own way.

and again, i mean this is a commuting pig for you, right?
They are easy and cheap to mod. Downpipes, tune, and e85 is easy low 12’s. Lots of 335’s around Chicago area running 10’s. Can’t do that on an N/A car. The n54 motor is like German 2jz. It’ll reliably handle 600-650 hp before going into the motor bits.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They are easy and cheap to mod. Downpipes, tune, and e85 is easy low 12’s. Lots of 335’s around Chicago area running 10’s. Can’t do that on an N/A car. The n54 motor is like German 2jz. It’ll reliably handle 600-650 hp before going into the motor bits.

but who gives a shit? :rofl: he already has a 600+ whp car sitting at home. who cares about having a n54 335 to daily with all their issues.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
but who gives a shit? :rofl: he already has a 600+ whp car sitting at home. who cares about having a n54 335 to daily with all their issues.

I daily the shit out of mine. And I use that power every day. With all-wheel drive it just hooks and goes. It's a hoot!

Other than plugs and coils, since they don't last a long time with added boost, the car doesn't need much maintenance due to the power. Typical n54 issues, sure. Take care of those and you have a solid car that is a blast to drive. Torque for dayyyyys.

Reactions: kmastl

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Why are you the one to say what is necessary or not for him? lol I own a modded 355i for the same reason I own a 750whp 911 Turbo. It's my bag, baby!

OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling had issues for sure. I think not typical of 355 ownership. But his ownership shows you what could potentially be like owning one. No doubt there. But I wouldn't say it's the standard of what to expect either.

This isn't the only motor that has direct injection only. Many n/a motors had them as well. Yes, port cleaning is required every so many tens of thousands of miles. Part of maintenance for sure. But it isn't a hard or crazy time-consuming DYI job either.

Owning a 355i and many other cars isn't for everyone. But just because you don't want one doesn't mean no one else should own them. Forums and FB are filled with 355i owners that are happy with their cars and maintenance that comes with them. I like many of the N/A I6 BMW offerings. But I guarantee I enjoy my N54 much more than the n/a offerings. But to each their own.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
After my above response I was thinking about why you need the extra power. The chassis is really good. Very competent and confidence inspiring.
So when you are driving it around at a 14 second car power level it’s kind of a let down. It’s not underpowered, but it feels like it never quite gets there.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Correct. I'm just saying, in general, there are plenty of direct injection motors in the market. It's more common to have motors that require that maintenance.

I am happy to see Ford using direct injection and port injection. Due to limited fuel supply in an upgraded performance standpoint. I have heard of other companies adding systems to help clean ports when the engine is running. So it will be interesting to see if required port cleaning ends up going away in the future.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

weren't you complaining about how crazy expensive an alternator you HAD to have was in a thread on here?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
weren't you complaining about how crazy expensive an alternator you HAD to have was in a thread on here?
Yeah, stupid expensive. I found a used one on CL though. It probably failed because it was installed with a hammer. When I pulled it out it looked like it was really a hack job. They had the feed back connection zip tied, and filed down part of the case

2A103B4A-6E92-4ACE-B9B3-FA9E7BDAA167.jpeg

Thread Info