🚘 Automotive Random BMW craigslist & ebay finds

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
More important than anything, does the owner have maintenance records? The 335i engine suffers from some issues. Especially the early years like that. Always good to know if the car has been maintained and what was already replaced. Fuel injectors, High-Pressure fuel pump, water pump, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, plugs, and coils are good to see replaced with that many miles on it.
I actually started laughing out loud at the idea of an '07 not having had injectors and HPFP(s) done by now.... Do those even exist? That would be amazing.

+1 on checking for WG rattle, the fix last time I checked was a PITA but if it's original turbos maybe you'll have to go there anyway. Also +1 on getting as much of the maintenance history as possible. I've often thought of getting an N54 E9X again but the cost of maintaining it scares me off.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Buy mine. ALL the maintenance is done. Minus turbos. But I could work out a deal to have new ones on the car. Mine has no issues making or maintaining boost. Boost and requested boost is spot on. But it has wastegate rattle. All motor & fueling issues done and new front suspension, lowering springs and shocks/struts.

Since the major overhaul the car has been reliable and no issues. I love the car. It is a blast and comfortable. The only maintenance is the could and plugs. With it tuned it will eat them up quicker. But those are not too expensive and easy to change out.

But I get why people are leary about buying used 335i.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Buy mine. ALL the maintenance is done. Minus turbos. But I could work out a deal to have new ones on the car. Mine has no issues making or maintaining boost. Boost and requested boost is spot on. But it has wastegate rattle. All motor & fueling issues done and new front suspension, lowering springs and shocks/struts.

Since the major overhaul the car has been reliable and no issues. I love the car. It is a blast and comfortable. The only maintenance is the could and plugs. With it tuned it will eat them up quicker. But those are not too expensive and easy to change out.

$5000 ? Asking for a friend

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017

Auto or Manual?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
$5000 ? Asking for a friend

Close

Auto or Manual?

It's an auto. But I have the xHP tuning software in it. The shifts are quick and the tuning strategy makes it drive very differently. Plus it's user-programmable. But I get that some people just want a manual trans. I was that way with my other car.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
Close

It's an auto. But I have the xHP tuning software in it. The shifts are quick and the tuning strategy makes it drive very differently. Plus it's user-programmable. But I get that some people just want a manual trans. I was that way with my other car.
I need manual. Just call me a glutton for punishment. ; )

Who did all the work on your Bimmer?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
When I got my wagon it had zero history, but appeared completely stock. I assumed all work was dealer or warranty and took a chance. I knew it was going to need a lot of basic maintenance. I found mixed index injectors and some oil leaks. I’m pretty sure the turbos and hpfp were done...both seem very strong...coils were original (2007 date printed on them), and plugs looked original since they were really bad.

I think it’s probably more important to be more cautious on the three series n54, and get as close to an unmolested one as possible.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
You can click on a few of thes videos below. You will know if it has it. It shoulds like metal rattling.

You will hear it at startup. You can rev it in neutral and hear them rattle as the rpm comes down. You can also slow down by coasting in gear and hear it as well.

Went to drive the car and didn't hear any evidence of wastegate rattle. When the turbos do need servicing, what am I looking at to have them rebuilt?

Also, I noticed the temperature gauge didnt' move. The car had been sitting in the cold not having been driven in a day or two but certainly the temperature gauge should move after about five minutes of the engine running. Is this a common issue on these cars?

Thanks

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Went to drive the car and didn't hear any evidence of wastegate rattle. When the turbos do need servicing, what am I looking at to have them rebuilt?

Also, I noticed the temperature gauge didnt' move. The car had been sitting in the cold not having been driven in a day or two but certainly the temperature gauge should move after about five minutes of the engine running. Is this a common issue on these cars?

Thanks
They take forever to warm up in cold temps

Reactions: Nay_Sayer

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The temp gauge, on the 335i at least, is oil temp. So it takes much longer to come up to temp versus the water temperature. So nothing to worry about there.

The turbos are resonably priced for new units. Unless you want to go with upgraded rebuilt units. You have to drop the front suspension and cradle to get enough room to get the turbos replaced. If it is a AWD then you have more work with the axles, front diff, and what not. If everything comes apart it isn't a difficult job. When things don't come apart, that is the nightmare haha

I use Herbst High Performance in Glendale Heights for my work. One of only a couple mechanics I trust. I have no problem giving him my 911 Turbo or a carb'd car. He works on junk to Supercars. Highly capable shop.

Reactions: Nay_Sayer

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
The temp gauge, on the 335i at least, is oil temp. So it takes much longer to come up to temp versus the water temperature. So nothing to worry about there.

The turbos are resonably priced for new units. Unless you want to go with upgraded rebuilt units. You have to drop the front suspension and cradle to get enough room to get the turbos replaced. If it is a AWD then you have more work with the axles, front diff, and what not. If everything comes apart it isn't a difficult job. When things don't come apart, that is the nightmare haha

I use Herbst High Performance in Glendale Heights for my work. One of only a couple mechanics I trust. I have no problem giving him my 911 Turbo or a carb'd car. He works on junk to Supercars. Highly capable shop.
Thanks for the input. This particular 335i is a RWD model. The guy is asking $6400. Should I pull the trigger on this car or what?

Thanks

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
can someone get this so i can envy them

1576699009066.png

1576699027224.png

**2016 BMW 535i X Drive M Sport Sedan In Mediterranean Blue Metallic With Ivory White Nappa Leather Interior
**The Orig Msrp Was $70,000
**It's Equipped With:
**M Sport Package With Sport Seats, M Steering Wheel, Sport Automatic Transmission
**Cold Weather Package With Heated Front And Rear Seats And Heated Steering Wheel
**Premium Package With Comfort Access Keyless Entry And Power Moonroof
**Driving Assistance Package With Rear View Camera And Park Distance Control
**Driving Assistance Plus With Blind Spot Warning And Lane Departure Warning
**X Drive All Wheel Drive
**M Sport 19 Alloy Wheels
**Navigation System
**iPod And USB Adapter
**Harman Kardon Surround Sound
**40/20/40 Split Rear Seat
**Dark Wood Trim
**Ambient Lighting And Much More!

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
can someone get this so i can envy them

View attachment 46784

View attachment 46785

**2016 BMW 535i X Drive M Sport Sedan In Mediterranean Blue Metallic With Ivory White Nappa Leather Interior
**The Orig Msrp Was $70,000
**It's Equipped With:
**M Sport Package With Sport Seats, M Steering Wheel, Sport Automatic Transmission
**Cold Weather Package With Heated Front And Rear Seats And Heated Steering Wheel
**Premium Package With Comfort Access Keyless Entry And Power Moonroof
**Driving Assistance Package With Rear View Camera And Park Distance Control
**Driving Assistance Plus With Blind Spot Warning And Lane Departure Warning
**X Drive All Wheel Drive
**M Sport 19 Alloy Wheels
**Navigation System
**iPod And USB Adapter
**Harman Kardon Surround Sound
**40/20/40 Split Rear Seat
**Dark Wood Trim
**Ambient Lighting And Much More!

down to 29k.