Ran a new PB at Byron on Saturday

Angus

Reaction score
But I'm still not happy with the results.
All of my runs were consistent 12.9's @ 111-112 with 2.0-2.1 60's. I was learning how to launch with the new tire setup, either bogging or spinning off the line.

But the i got one semi-good launch where the tires hooked and I didn't bog it too badly... 12.452 @113.14 with a 1.85 60'

Some pics of my filthy car with the new tires:

Bad thing was that on my last run, when I shut down, it felt like the car is missing. Shakes at idle, acceleration is jerkey - basically it feels like a misfire but there's no SES codes popping up... I was a tough day on the car, hitting red line a couple times during the burnouts and some other stuff...

But the engine still runs - it drove me home. And there's no clanks/ticks noises from the engine. The mustang guys are saying I popped my FRPS and/or fouled my plugs... common thing I guess...

Still no 11's but I need to see if this problem I'm having now has been hurting my times... :dunno:

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
pull your plugs. not uncommon to junk plugs on a FI setup. check your gap too.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new best time. Don't feel too bad about not getting your 11 second pass, you're way ahead of where I was after less than a year of being blown. It took *my car* four years of being blown and various set-ups before I hit mine. I was also plagued with intermittent misfiring like your car is starting to display.

The first time it ended up being a combination of an exhaust leak before the front o2's that caused a rich condition and was fouling plugs. The second time (we never narrowed it down to which of the three remedies), we cleaned the air filter, MAF, and put in all new coils. It sucked to replace all the coils if only a handful were bad, but testing the coils individually would have been a nightmare. So I sucked it up and ate $350 for 8 new coils. My car dropped a half a second once we did all that stuff. That was the only change too. My 60's were the same, but a bad misfire was really slowing the car down. I would highly recommend at least cleaning your air filter and MAF. I would also double check to make sure you don't have any leaks between your air filter and throttle-body. I also had a misfire when my JLT cold-air kit cracked on the underside.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
it took how many years of being blown?

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
It was a four year long blow job, don't I have amazing stamina and will power?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
113 does seem low for a turbo v8 IMO. :dunno: What dies the car weigh?

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
3,800lbs with me in it. I weigh about 185-190lbs.

That puts my car at about 3,600lbs (for all you math majors). Not super-heavy, but would definitely benefit from a little weight reduction. Oh well, I think I'll just throw more boost at it.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh, I can guarantee you that your trap is definitely being hurt by the misfire. I think I was trapping a few miles an hour or so less when I was having those intermittent issues.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Oh, I can guarantee you that your trap is definitely being hurt by the misfire. I think I was trapping a few miles an hour or so less when I was having those intermittent issues.
There ya go. Running 100% plus a bit of a diet should get you the goal. GL with it.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
Reaction score
IDK, I thought I saw, well, recognized your car there on Sunday... but anyway, congrats on the times, hopefully its something stupid making the engine freak out. :beer:

jason05gt

Reaction score
Does the trap seem low to you guys for a turbo car?
Yeah a bit, but your car is heavy due to it being a Vert. My car ran about the same time but trapped almost 5 mph higher. I bet my car is 3550 with the blower and wheels.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
for sure the trap is being hurt IMO... i trapped 114 when i went 12.9

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Reaction score
yeah your car definitely pulls harder than the 113 trap would lead to believe.
Not sure how bad the turbo is off the line with your car...but I'm thinkin you should be able to pull a better 60' , at least with those new wheels/tires.
But yeah, like you said-- sounds like a FRPS problem. Get that worked out and try again, that may very well have been affecting your times.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't completely rule out a dirty MAF. I would start with what is cheapest/easiest and work your way towards the opposite end.

Like I said before, I had a similar situation that was cleared up by cleaning the MAF, air filter, and changing the coils.

jason05gt

Reaction score
It sounds like a vac leak. I’d check all the couplers and make sure none of the vacuum lines popped off. Cleaning the MAF, changing the fuel filter, and plugs are also cheap things to do. I change those items more frequently with the blower just to be safe.

OP
Angus

Angus

Reaction score
yeah, I plan on getting to it sometime this month... maybe...

I'm traveling the next three weeks... and time spent on the car on the weekends is hard to find...
Thanks for the input guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom