Ram introduces the 60-40 Split Dual-Hinge tailgate

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score

In addition to normal drop-down tailgate operation, Ram's creatively-named Multifunction Tailgate opens barn-door style, allowing you to swing open one or both sides of the gate. The side-hinge operation means you don't have to reach across the tailgate to reach items in the bed of the truck; as Ram points out, this configuration also makes it easier to load items from the curb, or even to use a forklift to hoist heavy items into the pickup.

Of course, this isn't the first time we've seen a side-hinged tailgate on a pickup: Recall that, way back in 2006, the original Honda Ridgeline offered a two-mode tailgate that could flip down or swing open on hinges on the driver's side of the bed.

Ram's design takes that idea one step further. The split tailgate reduces the amount of clear space you need behind the truck to swing the gate open on its side hinges, allowing you to open the gate even if you've got a trailer hitched up. The Multifunction Tailgate also offers an optional drop-down center step to make it easier to clamber into the bed of the truck.

Like the conventional tailgate, Ram's split gate is fully damped with an optional remote release, and can support up to 2000 lbs. The Multifunction Tailgate will be optional on all Ram 1500 models beginning in the second quarter of 2019, costing $995 plus an additional $295 for the tailgate step.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a26147245/ram-1500-multifunction-tailgate-pickup-truck/

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Link has more pics.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
The more I see it, the cooler I think it is. The drop down step is a huge plus.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fuck yes. Can't wait til aftermarket takes this and makes one for all the brozzzeerrez

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd be in for a 1 piece style like Honda's Ridgeline. But the 60/40 hinge.... I'd be afraid if it failed. But God damn are these are exciting times for truck bros

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
Reaction score
I dig it. A lot of people on the RAM pages are talking shit about this. I don't know why. I feel it's a huge improvement, and has major benefits, over your standard tail gate.

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Suburban barn doors that I like.

Step is cool but you can't use it if the tailgate is down..?

GTPpower

Reaction score
I like it. The barn doors would be nice for forking pallets into the bed.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
While obviously not the same, it sorta reminds me a lot of the trick Chevy Astro barn door/liftgate combo

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
Ford, hear me now.

Just do a ridgeline style tailgate that can still take weight on it. Don't over fuck this pig.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I also remember station wagons back in the day that had the ability to swing open the tailgate or drop down like a pick-up truck.

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
Perfect!! Now you can have a pickup that is just as confusing as your sexual orientation.

It swings UP, DOWN, LEFT, AND RIGHT!!!

It might have a normal tail gate one second, then presto chango barn doors like the old school suburban you always dreamed about!

Speaking of presto chango.........

Never mind keep that between you and your doctor.

Just dont call it a Ridgeline.......
Lets be honest the Ridgeline is the transvestite of the pickup world.

:bowrofl:

Knowklew

Donating Member
Reaction score
I dont understand how this is helpful. Either the tailgate is open or closed.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
Donating Member
Reaction score
A split tail gate sounds really really really dumb. Besides just opening your tail gate and throwing you crap in to the bed of the pick up. There are going to be so many idiots who will jam up the two tailgates with dirt, sand and crap. Not to mention what will happen when the tailgate gets beat to shit.

Lame.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Seems cool in person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom