3800 Rainbow/Cuba Road Property *pics*

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Because of all the comments I got from my thread about my experiences at the abandoned ski lodge area, I want to share some information/pics about a property on Rainbow Road just off Cuba Road in Barrington. This site is probably one of the most talked about "haunted" spots in Chicago and ALOT of people go here. I knew they were building houses on the property so I went to Rainbow Road a few days ago to check out the progress.

There are a lot of stories about what has happened and what was behind those white gates, but I can't really find any true information. When people think of Rainbow Road they think of the insane asylum. There was a supposed insane asylum behind those gates at one time. One of my professors actually told me there was one back there, he used to go there when he was younger. There are also stories saying that the property was a Chicago mafia hideout in the 1930's. In addition to that I have also heard a story that there was a house back there and people mysteriously abandoned it during Christmas, Christmas decorations were left up and the people left everything. Lastly, I have read stories that a lot of people got killed in a mansion back there. I personally think an insane asylum could have been back there a long time ago, only because a credited source has told me so. But back like 20-30 years ago, it was just a mansion and a farm property.

DSC02351Small.jpg

The White gates leading back to the supposed insane asylm (2004)

DSC02359Small.jpg

GTP (2004)

DSC02358Small.jpg

DSC06585Small.jpg

DSC06586Small.jpg

Funny it says "After dusk" because people still probably come to this area at night to look for the "insane asslym" but there is NOTHING left of anything back there besides the silo.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
I went their a lot in high school. My friend's older sister has a friend that lives a few doors down from it. Last time I was at her friend's house, the parents were on vacation, so she was all alone. This girl slept with a knife under her bed because the garage door didn't lock and you could access the house from it. That night, me and a few buddies went and walked along the side of the insane aslyum and jumped the fence into the property. There wasn't much going on, just a torn down house and then what was supposed to be the "insane asylum" way far back on the property. It was fun none-the-less...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I went their a lot in high school. My friend's older sister has a friend that lives a few doors down from it. Last time I was at her friend's house, the parents were on vacation, so she was all alone. This girl slept with a knife under her bed because the garage door didn't lock and you could access the house from it. That night, me and a few buddies went and walked along the side of the insane aslyum and jumped the fence into the property. There wasn't much going on, just a torn down house and then what was supposed to be the "insane asylum" way far back on the property. It was fun none-the-less...

Yeah, I know a few people who have actually went in the mansion/insane asylm back there but by the time I checked out this place (2004) nothing was left, no house, no pool, no garage, just a barn and a silo.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jun 3 2006, 12:36 PM
Is there any trace left of the missing building?

Today... nothing. The whole property is getting huge mansions built on it. When I went back there in 2004 there was a Silo and a barn, no wreckage of a house and no sign of a pool, I think those got distroyed in maybe ~2000.
[snapback]128443[/snapback]​

Last time I was there was '99 - '00, so everything was there at the time. Damn, high school was a while ago... :eek:

Grinningman

Oct 15, 2016
I have the truth.

I would explore back in high school with a crew of mine. The legend of the asylum mansion being the most important. Anytime anyone tries to tell you the asylum is in rainbow rd. are one hundred percent incorrect.

What you find on Rainbow rd behind those gates is an abandoned farm house

If you wanted to see the asylum you would have to drive down Lake Zurich rd

There in the distance was a three story dilapidated building. That was the asylum. My crew and me snuck into the property and started ascending the stairs ti level 2. We noticed upon entering level 2 the walls that would provide the end wall for a hallway were completly removed. meaning we could see the night air where a wall once was. I walked up to the edge and peered in to the snow on the ground below. Sharp metal scraps jutting out of the ground and covered by snow would have been a lovely to die from impalement and you accidentally slipped outside.

Years later my friend hands me a newspaper talking about a building being demolished. Our building the one we used to explore. It turns it was never an asylum but rather the old Jewel Tea Factory. I had to set the record straight due to so much misinformation.

cabin4

May 24, 2017
I remember the Insane Asylum on Rainbow Rd.

I grew up in that area and a typical thing to do was to drive over the Rainbow rd to see the gates of the Asylum. I can tell you that back around 1978-ish it was an asylum. We use to cruse Rainbow rd and Cuba rd in Barrington back in those days. Cuba rd was very rural and dark. Use to love to drive by the cemetery that was supposed to be haunted. Those were the good ol days.

A

Anonymous

Modern generation LZ hauntings

I go to lake Zurich and I go to school rn. I have been to many haunted places all around here from Mundelein to wocounda (this is me biking from lake Zurich) I’m really interested in preserving the history of torn down places in the area. I have taken a video of nearly every torn down building in the area starting 2017. On route 22 there was this one house in the forest... the family disappeared in the 80s without taking a dime or a single valuable. All the houses next to it are abandoned as well but they are refurbished now (for preservation maybe?) we visited that house a total of five times and we were in there for maybe 30 minutes. The first three times we went the strangest things would happen. Me and anyone who went inside would always have this feeling of being in the past and actually experiencing it. The sky turned orange only three times in my whole life from what I’ve seen. It was in that house when it happened. We moved to the attic, 1960s hot wheels and other valuables were strewn across the decaying area. There was even some vintage macs. When we walked upstairs into the darkness I could tell you I wish I was joking. The cars outside sounded like they were passing the house faster and faster until it was a constant sounding drone noise. (I was recording at the time) my voice on the camera sounded like it was losing bitrate, as if three of me were talking at once! The video got grainier too. There was a massive satellite dish in the back. It was very strange to say the least. Like some sort of time warp had opened, maybe that’s why the family disappeared and didn’t take a single valuable. We walked in the woods for quite some time. We found an abandoned government facility of some kind. With a guard tower. It was too abandoned. Me and all of our friends wish we had more time to check out that place before they refurbished it. They turned the lights on after 40 years and took everything out. Recently I was driving past and the lights and all the added features of the house were gone one night. As if the incident happened again. I have SO many stories of my preservation adventures. I was hoping others in this thread would share some pics of previously torn down places or videos. Thanks!

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I go to lake Zurich and I go to school rn. I have been to many haunted places all around here from Mundelein to wocounda (this is me biking from lake Zurich) I’m really interested in preserving the history of torn down places in the area. I have taken a video of nearly every torn down building in the area starting 2017. On route 22 there was this one house in the forest... the family disappeared in the 80s without taking a dime or a single valuable. All the houses next to it are abandoned as well but they are refurbished now (for preservation maybe?) we visited that house a total of five times and we were in there for maybe 30 minutes. The first three times we went the strangest things would happen. Me and anyone who went inside would always have this feeling of being in the past and actually experiencing it. The sky turned orange only three times in my whole life from what I’ve seen. It was in that house when it happened. We moved to the attic, 1960s hot wheels and other valuables were strewn across the decaying area. There was even some vintage macs. When we walked upstairs into the darkness I could tell you I wish I was joking. The cars outside sounded like they were passing the house faster and faster until it was a constant sounding drone noise. (I was recording at the time) my voice on the camera sounded like it was losing bitrate, as if three of me were talking at once! The video got grainier too. There was a massive satellite dish in the back. It was very strange to say the least. Like some sort of time warp had opened, maybe that’s why the family disappeared and didn’t take a single valuable. We walked in the woods for quite some time. We found an abandoned government facility of some kind. With a guard tower. It was too abandoned. Me and all of our friends wish we had more time to check out that place before they refurbished it. They turned the lights on after 40 years and took everything out. Recently I was driving past and the lights and all the added features of the house were gone one night. As if the incident happened again. I have SO many stories of my preservation adventures. I was hoping others in this thread would share some pics of previously torn down places or videos. Thanks!

Alot of abandoned houses on forest preserve property. Haven't heard about any government facility in the area. Sure it wasn't like a look out tower that forest preserver personnel or DNR would use?

A

Anonymous

Alot of abandoned houses on forest preserve property. Haven't heard about any government facility in the area. Sure it wasn't like a look out tower that forest preserver personnel or DNR would use?
I believe you may be right about the forest preserve part. One or two houses were bought out now. I wanna go up and ask the owners about it sometime. The government building is known by many people at our school. Has a gaurd shack not tower. Still very weird that the houses aren’t demolished and have lights on now yet nobody lives inside. They’ve recently started tearing down deer park buildings again so I’m on it to record them. Deer park was a sad sight, grew up driving on rand

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info