Rahm trying to get IL's gas tax raised 20-30 cents per gallon

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
As if we don't already pay enough taxes in IL. Would be another ~$10 to fill up my truck!

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/mayor-calls-for-gas-tax-increase-to-pay-for-transportation-infrastructure/4880796/

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and members of the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus are calling on lawmakers to raise the gas tax as part of a capital bill to pay for much-needed transportation infrastructure repairs and improvements.

The proposal would raise the gas tax by 20 to 30 cents per gallon.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
This state suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Tell Rahm to worry about what he is going to do it retirement. Not how he is going to fuck people before he leaves.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
"road improvements"=graft to connected companies.

cdh027

Donating Member
Reaction score
And the democrat supermajority that was voted in by the morons in this state will pass that tax and many more tax increases. Buckle up buttercups.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
glad I left Illinois. If given the opportunity to leave, you should consider it.
I wish I had broke the bank just a little more when I bought my house in '08 and jumped state line.... I'm 3 blocks from Indiana!! I work here, shop, and do everything else here lol. I just get raked over because of my address lol

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
So why does Chicago say what the rest of IL does again?

Where is [MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION] to tell us that gas taxes are good for everyone even though the entire state will be paying for Chicago roads and they most likely will not use them. :io:

Ohh and the money wont be used for Chicago roads. :s00ls:

OP
Ryan02Stang

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
The biggest problem...does anyone actually believe anything positive will actually be done with the increased tax revenue? IL has no path to tax its way out of the fiscal black hole we are in. It has to be drastic tax increases, along with drastic spending cuts and restructuring of the pension system.

Jeffs FRC

Reaction score
The biggest problem...does anyone actually believe anything positive will actually be done with the increased tax revenue? IL has no path to tax its way out of the fiscal black hole we are in. It has to be drastic tax increases, along with drastic spending cuts and restructuring of the pension system.
The only thing the Dems want to do is increase taxes though. They scoff at spending cuts and please don't even mention the pension system! lol

jason05gt

Reaction score
So why does Chicago say what the rest of IL does again?

Where is [MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION] to tell us that gas taxes are good for everyone even though the entire state will be paying for Chicago roads and they most likely will not use them. :io:

Ohh and the money wont be used for Chicago roads. :s00ls:
That wasn't my point. My point was that EV users weren't paying their fair share due to not paying the gasoline tax, which is the major source of infrastructure funding.

That being said, if 100% of a gas tax increase was used to fix roads and bridges I would be okay with it. Our roads and bridges are in poor shape and need to be fixed. If the funding could fix roads and alleviate some traffic, that's not a bad thing.

Also, gasoline is cheap so an increase won't be a huge hit as people was accustomed to paying anywhere from $3-5 a gallon over the last few years.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
That wasn't my point. My point was that EV users weren't paying their fair share due to not paying the gasoline tax, which is the major source of infrastructure funding.

That being said, if 100% of a gas tax increase was used to fix roads and bridges I would be okay with it. Our roads and bridges are in poor shape and need to be fixed. If the funding could fix roads and alleviate some traffic, that's not a bad thing.

Also, gasoline is cheap so an increase won't be a huge hit as people was accustomed to paying anywhere from $3-5 a gallon over the last few years.
If the existing gas tax was 100% used towards infrastructure innovation and maintenance then our roadways / bridges would be in good shape, along with efficiencies being implemented.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom