R32...TBSS...GCSRT8?

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Hey guys,

Here's my thought process for the current moment [ and I'm sure it'll change next week, but so be it, that's the fun of it ]. I have my 2004 Volkswagen R32, limited production, yada yada, and I absolutely LOVE it, but here's my thought...do I trade / sell the R32 for a new daily driver? Or do I pay off the R32 [ $12500 ish ] with my new job, and get another fun car? I'm loving the Imperial Blue TrailBlazer SS AWDs, and the Slate Blue 1st gen Jeep GC SRT8s. Obviously terrible gas mileage but I'll be making good money with the new job, and it's close to home, so that's honestly not a huge concern for me at the moment.

If I do end up selling the R32 which I am back and forth on [ I REALLY love the car ] I can get a nicer trim / lower mileage SUV. But if I keep the R and get a TBSS or GCSRT8 I could still have some good of both worlds, and the R would become a track / weekend warrior since it's getting up there in mileage [ 131k and counting ]. I'd love to get another low mileage vehicle to have fun in and not worry about the drivetrain so much.

I know the TBSS's have transmission issues, and I still have some research to do in that aspect. I also have a lot to look into on the SRT8s as well, I don't know what the main issues are, plus they're pretty hard to find with low mileage, unmolested, as it is for most enthusiast vehicles anymore.

So with all that being said, what do you guys think? I'm just looking for opinons, not shit talking.

KBB for my car is roughly $9k for trade in where I stand, but I refuse to go off of KBB for this car when there are only 16 for sale on Cars.com nationwide. I could sell it right now for around $14k privately as it sits.

:dunno:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Keep the r32 and look for something other than the other two SUV's listed. The Srt8, while awesome, gets MISERABLE mpg. like ive heard from some people in the range of 8. SRT8's also go for a ton of money still based on internet values.

You can pick up a TBSS for relatively cheap and have fun with it...but again, gas mileage blows and its not really meant to be a "suv", neither really are imo.

If you absolutely had to choose between them, id say TBSS just based on cost alone. But if you're looking to get something and not have to worry about fixing shit, id say find something else.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Although....after rereading, thats a ton left to pay off on the car and the mileage is only going to go up on it....might be worth cutting your loses while you can. But like you said, r32's hold their value really well, mileage or otherwise. Tough call on that.

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I've been looking at my car again and again and I really don't wanna sell it. I would love to mod it and just drive it how it's meant to be driven. I would like another decently price toy and I'm not sure what. I'll be getting a Ruckus soon and having some fun with that. But that's just "haha" fun. I'd like something to drive spirited and be able to move quick with, but also practical for years to come and milestones in my life. That's why I'm looking at the TBSS and SRT8 just for the enjoyment with them and ability to carry a family/suitcases, etc when needed down the road

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Haha, good call, and the fact that I've never driven either of them doesn't help my situation. I just look at them and think they're pretty :p

Idk what to do, because I would love to let my car drive weekends and "special" occasions only. I want it to be a "OH! you brought out the R today" kind of reaction from people, haha. And when it's brought out I want the blower kit I've been looking at!

But I digress...Do you guys have any ideas for a second vehicle to get while my car gets goodies and track ready? TBSS and SRT8 are out...I've always liked Infiniti FX35s and Acura MDXs....and yes I realize those aren't anywhere near the same as the two I listed before.

*ready for a battering of hate for what I just said*

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
Srt8s are fun and exciting and if yor going to use it as its intended use can spend little under a thousand bucks in mods and get a mid to low 12 sec vehicle. R32 as a sea car bad idea. R32 as a motor cross car now that sounds cool. If you get either one of those SUVs kiss your mod money to gas money and might as well sell r32.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Srt8s are fun and exciting and if yor going to use it as its intended use can spend little under a thousand bucks in mods and get a mid to low 12 sec vehicle. R32 as a sea car bad idea. R32 as a motor cross car now that sounds cool. If you get either one of those SUVs kiss your mod money to gas money and might as well sell r32.

What

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Yea I wouldn't be going drag car. I'd run it once or twice. But I would wanna circuit track it. The more I look into TBSS' it would have to be a killer deal for me To get one. I'm liking the Touareg more and more and they're pretty affordable with some nice features with a lot of space. The MDXs are nice but the 07s are the body I like and they're too expensive. The FX35 is still appealing to me as well.

I've decided I can't bring myself to sell my R. I love it too much and know I'll regret selling it if I ever did. I'll pay it off and get something to DD!

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
You can pick up a TBSS for relatively cheap and have fun with it...but again, gas mileage blows and its not really meant to be a "suv", neither really are imo.

If you absolutely had to choose between them, id say TBSS just based on cost alone. But if you're looking to get something and not have to worry about fixing shit, id say find something else.

i dont really agree with this at all Mr Mook.... i got 20mpg with my TBSS on the highway (12 in town), used it quite often to tow my neon and jeffs honda, and beat the hell out of it... all with no issues.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i guess youre the exception to the rule. all i ever see people w/ tbss's say is horrible mpg and i dont think ive ever seen someone tow with one :rofl:

20mpg is pretty bauce. im impressed.

i do like them tho. i enjoyed riding in yours the few times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info