R32...TBSS...GCSRT8?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
How is a heavy 14 second suv fun? Serious question.....

What do you drive again? How is a 2 1/2 ton SUV that can tow your car to the track and then run right along side it, in some cases beat it and then tow you back home fun? Really? Drive one, you'll most likely understand why they're fun. By no means are they as fun as a car like an Evo, STI or an R32 which are pretty much top of the fun list. Nor are they as seat of the pants "Holy shit!" fun as some higher powered Camaros, GTO's or Mustangs but for what they are and what they can do yes they are fun, trust me I know.

To the OP; my opinion is to keep the R32 if you like it that much and are so indecisive about getting rid of it, buy a DD and mod the R32. Cool cars by the way, I was looking at them before I realized how much $$$ they cost.

TBSS
Yes the TBSS has trans problems but not ALL of them and like any car if it's not maintained and you're buying used you're inheriting someone else's problems and playing Russian roulette with ANY parts of ANY car you get. They're cheaper than the GCSRT in cost and maintenence, get slightly better mpg's and with a few mods can beat a Jeep SRT by car lengths. Yes the TBSS weak link is the trans and should be the first mod (mine went out at 55k) ut they don't all shit the bed. A stall, trans, intake, efans, tune and headers will get an AWD TBSS into the 13's at full weight and will still have all the functionality of any "normal" SUV and will still be able to tow 6000 lbs max. My TBSS is an 06 AWD with a tune, Efans, and an intake (other mods I have don't affect performance) and I just averaged 18.1 mpg's from my house to Door County and back averaging between 70-75mph the whole way and I was in need of a tune up and routine fluid changes before I left, had I done all that I'm sure it would've done better.

Grand Cherokee SRT8
I looked at them before I bought my SS and had they been able to meet my towing needs I would've gone with the Jeep. They're scary fast not only for a "not fun" SUV but for most anything on the road (seat of the pants feeling). When the trans went on my TBSS I looked into them again and talked to a friend with one and he said realistic mpg's are around 10-12 mixed driving in the suburbs and they have their laundry list of problems as well. They don't have the trans issue the TBSS does but they have transfer case and rear end problems and some goofy issue with the front arms that throws off the alignment and eats tires left and right and causes a shake in the steering wheel over 65mph (if I'm remembering that right). They're slightly more expensive to maintain than the TBSS and all around more expensive in gas, insurance etc etc etc. Tires on both the TBSS and GCSRT aren't cheap but you have to remember the SRT has a staggered setup so you can't rotate tires without un mounting them.

Hope this helps

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
What do you drive again? How is a 2 1/2 ton SUV that can tow your car to the track and then run right along side it, in some cases beat it and then tow you back home fun? Really? Drive one, you'll most likely understand why they're fun. By no means are they as fun as a car like an Evo, STI or an R32 which are pretty much top of the fun list. Nor are they as seat of the pants "Holy shit!" fun as some higher powered Camaros, GTO's or Mustangs but for what they are and what they can do yes they are fun, trust me I know.

To the OP; my opinion is to keep the R32 if you like it that much and are so indecisive about getting rid of it, buy a DD and mod the R32. Cool cars by the way, I was looking at them before I realized how much $$$ they cost.
wrx. I just feel like it would be boring to drive....that's all. I can honestly say it wouldn't be fun :dunno:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
wrx. I just feel like it would be boring to drive....that's all. I can honestly say it wouldn't be fun :dunno:

Your opinion and you're entitled to it but how does any of what you said help the OP?

My opinion is that a 2 1/2 ton SUV that can run 12's or 13's in the quarter and handles better than a lot of cars is more fun than a stock 13 or 14 second WRX.
Want more fun? Throw a boat, wave runner or camper on the back of a "boring" SUV that tows so well you'll forget theres something attached to the back.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Your opinion and you're entitled to it but how does any of what you said help the OP?

My opinion is that a 2 1/2 ton SUV that can run 12's or 13's in the quarter and handles better than a lot of cars is more fun than a stock 13 or 14 second WRX.
Want more fun? Throw a boat, wave runner or camper on the back of a "boring" SUV that tows so well you'll forget theres something attached to the back.

they do tow nice mine is just a 5.3 4wd tho not an ss, but it pulls my 3000# boat like its not evean hooked up to anything

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the help and productive words!

I WILL NOT be drag racing whatever I get next, nor will I drag race the R32. I might do it once or twice, just for my own satisfaction of what myself and the car are capable of, but I feel this car is meant for the circuit as I've mentioned before.

The more I look into the TBSS and the SRT I'm not too impressed with the cost of maintenance on either. I've got a limited production German car as it is, and I know the cost of maintenance. I've been looking into the 2004-2006 VW Touareg 3.6 V6 [ very similar setup to my motor (pretty reliable) 15` V6 ] They have a decent tow capacity, enough to pull my car on a heavy trailer.

I will be keeping the R32. This much I know for sure, I can't bring myself to sell it, unless someone offers me a crazy amount for it. I will daily drive the car, and get all the little things taken care of until I have a deeper pocket for modifying it to where I would like it.

Suspension [ all said and done ] $1400 ish
Tires [ pending the wheels I get ] $600-900
Wheels [ as always, pending forums' good deals ] $?
Intake manifold [ Lots of choices ] $1k-3k
Exhaust [ Choices... ] $500-$1000
Tune [ United Motorsport ] $350
Rear Stress Brace $300
Haldex Controller $1000

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the things I've looked into lately.

tony275

Farfegnugen
Apr 20, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I've ridden in a few Jeeps and I can honestly say I'm not a huge fan. I'd enjoy it for a week in the summer and I'd want something more practical. I'm not hating on Jeeps or your taste, I personally don't enjoy them, though. A buddy's girlfriend and my girlfriend are going to be test driving cars at the Autobarn Friday and they have a few 04 Touaregs so I'm gonna try and drive one while we're there.

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
I know it's a liberty but some pro comp rims and tires always make a jeep look aggressive plus throw in some bull bars

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337832606.732862.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info