v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Thanks!

So help me understand what Blood on Blood Blood on Blood is saying. Am I going to have issues with the]is non-prime completely discharging itself if I run through a complete tank of gas without stopping at say 80mph? I don't realistically see that happening because I'm bound to run into traffic or something, but I'm curious about what steps I need to take to keep the thing happy since 90% of our driving is on the highway. Granted, our commutes are all 55-60mph highways, but we take a lot of interstate trips on weekends too.

I'm still watching that guy's Youtube videos, but I haven't heard about this specific issue yet.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Thanks!

So help me understand what Blood on Blood Blood on Blood is saying. Am I going to have issues with the]is non-prime completely discharging itself if I run through a complete tank of gas without stopping at say 80mph? I don't realistically see that happening because I'm bound to run into traffic or something, but I'm curious about what steps I need to take to keep the thing happy since 90% of our driving is on the highway. Granted, our commutes are all 55-60mph highways, but we take a lot of interstate trips on weekends too.

I'm still watching that guy's Youtube videos, but I haven't heard about this specific issue yet.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. As Bru explained, a hybrid uses more electric power in the city actually. The gas motor will be the main source of power on the highway. The hybrid system is always constant being used and recharged regardless of city or highway. The gas motor will always be there to recharge the hybrid batteries.

Toyota indicates they even retuned their hybrids for highway driving. So what may have been true on hybrids 10 years ago isn't likely the same for yours.

Reactions: v6buicks

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I don't think you have anything to worry about. As Bru explained, a hybrid uses more electric power in the city actually. The gas motor will be the main source of power on the highway. The hybrid system is always constant being used and recharged regardless of city or highway. The gas motor will always be there to recharge the hybrid batteries.

Toyota indicates they even retuned their hybrids for highway driving. So what may have been true on hybrids 10 years ago isn't likely the same for yours.

And the computer will save the battery from becoming 100% depleated, preventing it from entering an unstable state. Though, when the batttery charge hits that low threshold, I thought I read the computer puts the vehicle in limp mode (decreasing performance), resulting in a trip to the dealer for a recharge.

This may be caused by the electric motors helping the vehicle maintain excessive speed for “X” amount of time (i.e., draining the battery to that low threshold).

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
And the computer will save the battery from becoming 100% depleated, preventing it from entering an unstable state. Though, when the batttery charge hits that low threshold, I thought I read the computer puts the vehicle in limp mode (decreasing performance), resulting in a trip to the dealer for a recharge.

This may be caused by the electric motors helping the vehicle maintain excessive speed for “X” amount of time (i.e., draining the battery to that low threshold).

With a new car, he's got at least 8 to 10 years before being concerned about the hybrid battery pack going bad. Toyota hybrid components come with an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty. The battery has a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty. Once it starts going bad, it'll be noticeable that it's running more on the gas motor than the electric motor, and it'll be time to determine whether it's worth replacing or getting rid of the vehicle.

But otherwise, he won't need to go to the dealer for a recharge of the battery pack at any point in the near future. I couldn't find anything referencing your concern, but would like to learn more if you have a link to that issue you are describing.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
With a new car, he's got at least 8 to 10 years before being concerned about the hybrid battery pack going bad. Toyota hybrid components come with an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty. The battery has a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty. Once it starts going bad, it'll be noticeable that it's running more on the gas motor than the electric motor, and it'll be time to determine whether it's worth replacing or getting rid of the vehicle.

But otherwise, he won't need to go to the dealer for a recharge of the battery pack at any point in the near future. I couldn't find anything referencing your concern, but would like to learn more if you have a link to that issue you are describing.

I’m going to search for it and my hope is I’m wrong / misinformed.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Here is the video, start at 2:25

#2 item he warns folks of is to ensure the HV battery fan is not blocked and the fan filter needs to be maintained / kept clean so that the battery does not overheat (shortening its life span)

#3 excessive speeding on the hwy impacts mpg depletes the battery (he references 90 + mph, I mis-referenced a lower mph).

#4 leaving the car in Neutral for an extended period will also depletes the battery, resulting in it needing to be towed and the battery charged at the dealer $$$$

Either way, depleting the battery down below threshold / unsafe level results in a trip to the dealer for a recharge.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
5000 mile update.

I hate it.

Good thing my fiance and her messed up back disagree. Despite the amount of cabin space, this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever had by a long shot. The passenger seat is awful. It doesn't have any lumbar support whatsoever. I don't even have a bad back, but I'm ready to jump out of this bitch if I'm riding shotgun for more than 45 minutes. The driver seat is tolerable since it has adjustable lumbar support. However, driving this thing is also pretty terrible. The steering wheel is too small to rest my elbows on my knees while cruising. The arm rests are not the same height which essentially puts my hands at a very awkward 9 and 2 position. I can't just use one hand because of the tiny steering wheel. I have to drive this thing at 10 and 2 with no elbows on the arm rests like a friggen racecar driver until my arms get worn out. Then I just shuffle around and struggle with the other options until my arms regain strength. lol

It's great for short drives, I guess. I still very much appreciate the 40 mpg and ample cargo space. If it ends up being as reliable and low-maintenance as all the other Toyotas in my family, I will not regret the purchase. However, I will definitely be remembering this car when I start shopping for trucks. I will insist on taking longer test drives.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
5000 mile update.

I hate it.

Good thing my fiance and her messed up back disagree. Despite the amount of cabin space, this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever had by a long shot. The passenger seat is awful. It doesn't have any lumbar support whatsoever. I don't even have a bad back, but I'm ready to jump out of this bitch if I'm riding shotgun for more than 45 minutes. The driver seat is tolerable since it has adjustable lumbar support. However, driving this thing is also pretty terrible. The steering wheel is too small to rest my elbows on my knees while cruising. The arm rests are not the same height which essentially puts my hands at a very awkward 9 and 2 position. I can't just use one hand because of the tiny steering wheel. I have to drive this thing at 10 and 2 with no elbows on the arm rests like a friggen racecar driver until my arms get worn out. Then I just shuffle around and struggle with the other options until my arms regain strength. lol

It's great for short drives, I guess. I still very much appreciate the 40 mpg. If it ends up being as reliable and low-maintenance as all the other Toyotas in my family, I will not regret the purchase. However, I will definitely be remembering this car when I start shopping for trucks. I will insist on taking longer test drives.

We had a similar issue with the base (Sport was the trim) 2015 CX5 we bought and went on a road trip to Florida and back a few months later. Seats were horrible after about 45 mins. As soon as we came back from that road trip the car was traded in.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm pretty flexible but I've rented vehicles that I decided I would never buy... Jeep Wrangler, stuff like that. I rented one and drove it a week from San Fran to Los Angeles.

My wife's Q5 has worked out well, I love driving it. It has a few aspects I don't like but overall I'm fan.
Just curious. What generation of Wrangler did you rent? What exactly didn't you like? I'm sorta interested in a Gladiator, but I've never driven one so I'm expecting to change my mind the minute I sit in one. Lol

I actually rode in a JK for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty decent. I have yet to get Ina JL or JT.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I’m finding that’s the nature of the beast with Toyota, they are reliable but you have to be willing to accept significant shortcomings;

Depending on the vehicle -

Boring to drive
Subpar capabilities / technology / performance
Uncomfortable seating position / seats
Drab interiors
Outdated
Questionable exterior design (some cases)

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I’m finding that’s the nature of the beast with Toyota, they are reliable but you have to be willing to accept significant shortcomings;

Boring to drive
Drab interiors
Outdated

giphy.gif

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon

Boring to drive
Drab interiors
Outdated
I agree. Most of those issues are more than tolerable for me. Comfort is not one of them, but 40mpg, the cheap purchase price, and a happy fiance still outweigh it in this case.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Just curious. What generation of Wrangler did you rent? What exactly didn't you like? I'm sorta interested in a Gladiator, but I've never driven one so I'm expecting to change my mind the minute I sit in one. Lol

I actually rode in a JK for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty decent. I have yet to get Ina JL or JT.
I rented one in 2018, 4 door hard top had it a whole week. Was a mix of local and highway driving. I recall it had about 10K miles on it, so let's assume it was a 2017 model?

Steering felt very non-sporty, felt like I was steering a really big truck if that makes sense. I assume this a basic model, I'll try to look back I usually take pics of everything car related in my life.

The steering was my biggest issue.

Gas mileage was not great as I recall. Also I remember renting one 6-7 years earlier and it felt pretty similar.

I'm a past owner of a modded '95 XJ ( 3 inch lift, 31" Rubicon tires) so I'm not a jeep hater fwiw.

I think the gladiators look cool as hell and some of them can tow. I eventually need some sort of enjoyable (or super cheap) tow vehicle.

Was something like this:

alama.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’m not shocked to hear your seat complaints. I’ve been in a few newer Toyota’s and that’s been my takeaway. My ‘07 Prius seats are stupid plush and very comfy, but no lumbar for driver/passenger side will be interesting on a longer trip. I also find myself leaning towards the center of the vehicle while driving, which is fine by myself but with a passenger isn’t really doable. Toyota steering wheel position is yet another thing I hate. I have stupid long legs, long torso and T-Rex arms, so unless I’m sitting at a right angle in this thing my hand only comfortably reaches the bottom of the steering wheel. If a vehicle I’m buying that costs more than call it $10,000 doesn’t have telescoping wheel and/or adjustable pedals, there’s a good chance I’m passing on it. Most full size trucks I’m good with, but anything smaller I’m SOL. But once again, purchase price, hopeful reliability, fuel economy and practicality outweigh it.

It just seems to me like vehicles in that size/segment are all uncomfortable. When my GF and I met she had a 2014 Escape and it was god awful. Too narrow, encroaching center console... plus as I touched on, every fucking car now a days has “sport trimmed” seats. Like can we not? If the seats are the only sporty thing about the car, skip it.

Thread Info