• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Quinn signs statewide cell phone driving ban

radioguy6

Reaction score
Starting January 1st...

Illinois drivers will have to peel the cell phones away from their ears under legislation Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law Friday that bans the use of hand-held devices behind the wheel.

Motorists could still gab and drive if they use hands-free technology to conduct their conversations. Otherwise they’ll need to pull off the road to make a call or face fines starting at $75. The law takes effect Jan. 1.

“Too many Illinois families have suffered because of accidents that could have been prevented,” Quinn said in a statement. “Anyone driving a car should be careful, responsive and alert behind the wheel.”

Quinn’s signature means Illinois will join the ranks of about a dozen other states with similar restrictions and will allow drivers to operate under a uniform ban instead of a confusing patchwork of local laws that vary from town to town. Illinois already prohibits texting while driving.

Violators will be fined $75 for a first offense, but could pay as much as $150 for repeat offenses as well as face a moving violation on their driving record. Three moving violations within a year could lead to a driver’s license being suspended.

Drivers still could legally make calls on hand-held phones in the case of an emergency.

While supporters contend the law will cut down on distracted driving, opponents argue the burden should fall on drivers to make sure they are safe on the roads, not police who will be required to enforce the law.

Despite the growing push to require drivers to put their phones on speaker or use a headset, researchers at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety have found little difference between drivers who use hand-held cell phones and those who use hands-free devices.

Rather, researchers contend that all cell phone use is equally distracting once a conversation starts, noting that accident rates did not change in other states that have implemented bans on hand-held phones behind the wheel.

Meanwhile, Quinn also signed a measure into law that would increase penalties for drivers who injure or kills others in crashes caused by the use of a cell phone or other electronic device.

Distracted motorists who harm other drivers would face a Class A misdemeanor, which could result in fines up to $2,500 and less than a year of jail time. Drivers involved in fatal accidents could be charged with a Class 4 felony, which carries fines up to $25,000 and up to three years of jail time. That measure also goes into effect Jan. 1.
Quinn signs statewide cell phone driving ban - chicagotribune.com

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
so fucking ridiculous. so what. i can't touch my phone ever in a car?

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile everyone who actually pays attention while driving doesn't give a fuck, like myself.

Stay the fuck off your fucking cell phones when you're driving. A fucking quickie can wait 5 more minutes while you're aiming your two ton missile at other drivers. Fuck.

Ti28

Cupcake
Reaction score
I'm a redlight texter. So what are they going to fine me when I'm a at redlight and make a quick call or text now?

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
I don't know about this one... Some people can pay attention to the road while talking on the phone and some people are in a different world while they are on the phone. While I don't usually talk and I never text while driving, I would hate to get a ticket for making a quick phone call.
Look what banning texting while driving did. Nothing. I can't tell you how many people per day I see swerving and I think they are drunk, but no, they are texting. Makes me kind of mad. Especially how they don't just type something quick and put their phone down. They have actual text conversations with people while driving.
A few weeks ago I was on my bike and I actually watched someone browse MLS listings for almost 2 miles down the road. He looked up every 5 seconds for about a half a second to make sure he was still on the road. I wanted to punch him.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Ban women and asians from driving.

New law.

Vote for me.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll text at a redlight or in stopped traffic (>20 seconds sitting in one spot in neutral) but not while driving.

All these laws won't fucking matter until they make the drivers test actually difficult and say "fuck no" to people who can't even drive straight.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
Its not holding the phone that's the problem, its the talking. So I don't see how hands free devices will solve anything.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
ban sounds in cars. and talking. and eating too probably.

i have come closer to crashing while trying to drive stick and eat my noodles & company mushroom stroganoff more often than when yacking into my walkietalkie. weird right.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
All these laws won't fucking matter until they make the drivers test actually difficult and say "fuck no" to people who can't even drive straight.
omg how did we ever live without talking on the phone while driving omg

carter nailed it here... it's not just talking on the phone while driving. it's the morons driving. people can't drive worth a shit. the shit i see daily is hysterical.

make getting a license tougher than the bullshit that currently happens.

#typicallyitsawomandriver

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
omg how did we ever live without talking on the phone while driving omg
Folks found other ways to get distracted and crash. Like a crying baby, or changing the radio, or dropping tic tacs, or looking out the window while going through an intersection or sneezing and looking away for 2 seconds, or grabbing something from their purse, or grabbing something from the back set, or the glove box or the center console...I can go on.

Talking on the phone isnt the problem. People forgetting they are in a FUCKING CAR is the problem.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
Folks found other ways to get distracted and crash. Like a crying baby, or changing the radio, or dropping tic tacs, or looking out the window while going through an intersection or sneezing and looking away for 2 seconds, or grabbing something from their purse, or grabbing something from the back set, or the glove box or the center console...I can go on.

Talking on the phone isnt the problem. People forgetting they are in a FUCKING CAR is the problem.

exactly.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
we should probably ban cops from typing on their laptops while driving too.

i remember 2 years ago watching a barrington chick cop on 14 heading east into barrington, miss the gentle curve right before where the dodge dealer used to be, and dukes-of-hazard her charger into the air into the grass median because she was looking at her compudora

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
well i mean, it was a woman...sooo....

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Reaction score

There are people who are not coordinated enough to walk and chew bubble gum, let alone drive a car and talk on the phone. I do not see the big deal because you can still use a hands free device. This at least allows you 2 hands to control the vehicle if need be. The number of people on phones far outweighs the people doing the things you mentioned above.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
no one has mentioned road head as a distraction son im a disappoint

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Hands free wont help...people will still space out when talking. Holding the phone isnt what causes them to space out and not pay attention. 99% of people on the road drive with one hand and yet they dont crash

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Two hands on the wheel does not make you a better driver.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
There are people who are not coordinated enough to walk and chew bubble gum, let alone drive a car and talk on the phone. I do not see the big deal because you can still use a hands free device. This at least allows you 2 hands to control the vehicle if need be. The number of people on phones far outweighs the people doing the things you mentioned above.

is there anything to back this up though?

the shit i see people doing while almost swerving into people daily is insane on rt 12 in the morning... shaving, doing makeup, eating everything and anything, tending to kids... that shit is all just as dangerous imo.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Reaction score
So what are you guys complaining about then?

Nobody took away your right to talk on the phone. You are pissed because you have to use a hands free device?

Thanks Obama

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score

ban manual transmissions too so we can make sure those two hands are always firmly on that steering wheel.

:hsughlol:

:s00ls:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom