and FYI

nt6rpf3c1ru41.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I don’t think I’ve changed my own oil since the last time I worked at one of those places, 2006? The trick has been finding a place that does a good job. I found one (Oil Depot Naperville, great guys, manager is always friendly and offered his pit for any work I wanted to do on the TA) but went against my better judgement this weekend.

Herbst High performance in Glendale heights....

If I had a lift, I'd be doing everything. The older I get, I have no desire to lay on my back in my garage and unscrew 25 bolts or push pins to get a stupid fucking plastic cover off just to get to oil pan. Figure if I go to the dealer, and they fuck something up it will be easier to get them to fix than someone like Jiffylube. I inspect my cars and walk the service manager around them before they touch them, then I inspect before leaving the lot including checking the oil.

i'm 38, i do not enjoy crawling around either but I dont trust many people with my stuff.

most annoying part of at home to me is disposing of the oil.

I bottle it in the "new" oil bottles and drop it at the local oil change place. they take the waste oil and filters ( as long as the oil is not mixed with coolant or trans fluid ).

DONE SKI

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
That’s what they use on boats since forever, I stripped the head off the drain plug on my wife’s car and just said fuck it I’m using the bucket pump though mine gets 95% of the oil out, here’s has the top canister filter and now I never have to pull it on ramps to change the oil sweet deal

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
While the car is in warranty, I pay the dealer to change the oil, but I look over it with a FINE toothed comb. Better be the correct weight and quality on that receipt, and the level better check out when I go to look after I get the car back.

For cars not in warranty, I do the change myself.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
That’s what they use on boats since forever, I stripped the head off the drain plug on my wife’s car and just said fuck it I’m using the bucket pump though mine gets 95% of the oil out, here’s has the top canister filter and now I never have to pull it on ramps to change the oil sweet deal

Yeah I imagine on some cars it works great. Apparently not on an FB20 Subaru.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
With as many stripped oil drain plugs and cracked oil pans that were on the hook for, I am not shocked at all.

Transmissions are already sealed and this is how you change the fluid. I would bet at some point the OE could head this direction as well with engines. If designed for extraction like this, I don't see a problem.

I also read that some VW oil pans are now plastic.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I still try to change my own oil at home. I've installed Futmoto valves and it makes it super easy. Just drain right into an old oil container. If you have more than can fit, just flip the valve and switch containers.
http://fumotousa.com/

My Walmart by the house, I normally walk in by the Auto Center bays. They have a shopping cart where I can just go and drop off your used oil etc. The techs never ask any questions. I just walk in, drop it off, and leave. lol

Reactions: greasy

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
This story is the exact reason why I do as much as possible on our vehicles at home. I know it is done correctly and that make me feel good. I would rather the hassle of disposing of oil and other crap over dealing with a headache on a job done incorrectly.

I know it can be a pain and Inconvenient, but I have a very tough time trusting any place with my vehicles. I have dealt with enough incompetence at auto places to last a lifetime. The most frustrating part is that I am a nurse, and know how to do automotive maintenance better than most places...Disgusting

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Herbst High performance in Glendale heights....

You use them too? I've been a long time customer and they are about one of two shops I trust with my stuff. They are always busy but turn out stuff pretty quickly and with quality work.

I also read that some VW oil pans are now plastic.

There are several manufactures that use composite oil pans. Not uncommon anymore. I'd probably trust those over steel sheet oil pans with a punched hole and threaded. Those and a JIffy Lube seem like a disaster waiting to happen. haha

Reactions: Aircal

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
You use them too? I've been a long time customer and they are about one of two shops I trust with my stuff. They are always busy but turn out stuff pretty quickly and with quality work.

There are several manufactures that use composite oil pans. Not uncommon anymore. I'd probably trust those over steel sheet oil pans with a punched hole and threaded. Those and a JIffy Lube seem like a disaster waiting to happen. haha

frank frank
suggested them when the 1st transmission went missing at a shop that wont be named....
I contacted Eric regarding some work on my moms car. I was pleased with the experience and would go back again.

Reactions: frank

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Definitely do. Their pricing is in line with other shops. The biggest thing I hear back from people I sent their way is that the felt like they could trust them to not over sell things.

They work on work trucks with a zillion miles to super cars. They have a big following of owners with high end cars. That says something too. It might say high end car owners are cheap and don't like the dealer. But I'm pretty sure it isn't the only reason. ?

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I have been sending customers to herbst’s before his shop was Even open and working out of his garage at home 20 years ago. I even have my own family going to him which at family parties they talk about his shop referring more people to him.

and what Pratt was saying, has a good high end car following, as well muscle cars and late models and everything in-between.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info