Quick lube vacuum oil extractor?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Are these things the norm now?

My normal mom and pop place for oil changes was closed so I went to Jiffy Lube, where they said they now suck out the oil from the top through an extractor so they don’t strip drain plugs or leave out oil plugs, or drain the wrong oil. On one end, you have one job, so do it right. And on the other, Ive spent time working in these places and have seen a fair share of the aforementioned fuck ups.

Anyway, they were only able to get 3.25 “quarts” out of the dip stick, and when I asked them they said “oh no the machine measures in liters” and it’s actually 4.75 quarts. But liquid liters and quarts are pretty fucking close and we’re taking 2/10 of a quart in conversion. They put 5.3 quarts back in and of course overfilled it. But they still wanted to charge me for a 5.3 quart oil change. How messed up is that?

Granted, you’re not going to get everything out during a regular pan plug drop oil change but I recall the full capacity specs being pretty close. If they only sucked out 3.43 quarts then that’s only like 65% of an oil change.

Anyway, just a rant posed as a question. Now I know better and will wait until my preferred place is open.

D6C00487-F67E-49AB-B82D-246D15F320D3.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Do they not change the filter?

Pretty bad when they can't do the most basic job on a car. Just think they do brake jobs now too :ugh:

They did. Luckily it’s up top. If it were in the back of the engine on the firewall, mid-high like a 2.2 Cavalier and not changed in 20,000 miles, then I bet they wouldn’t have.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Wouldn't go there if I had a free coupon. Years ago had oil changed in the van drove to Disney and back. Went to Jiffy with 4000 miles on the oil change.Guy wouldn't stop going on and on about how I was so far over and they had to do a full engine flush!!! Kept saying no just change the oil. Ended up driving it away and went elsewhere. Never ever will go back.

Reactions: Rent Free

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Dealer isnt any better. Took the Hawk there for oil change and told them it take 8.4qts. They only put 7qts which iirc is what a Hellcat takes.
Went back in and raised hell in front of other customers and demanded the tech come check the oil in front of me. They wouldnt bring him out as they knew the abuse he was going to get from me. Service manager checked it instead, "yep your a qt low, we will take care of it and have a serious talk with the tech". Didnt charge me and offered me 3 more for free. I used to do all my oil changes on every car in my garage. But for the price of oil, jacking the car up, putting it on jack stands, unscrewing those stupid fucking belly plates, then having to take the oil to be recycled. Its worth the $20 labor I'm paying over the cost of oil/filter.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
change
your
own
oil

I don’t think I’ve changed my own oil since the last time I worked at one of those places, 2006? The trick has been finding a place that does a good job. I found one (Oil Depot Naperville, great guys, manager is always friendly and offered his pit for any work I wanted to do on the TA) but went against my better judgement this weekend.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
change
your
own
oil
If I had a lift, I'd be doing everything. The older I get, I have no desire to lay on my back in my garage and unscrew 25 bolts or push pins to get a stupid fucking plastic cover off just to get to oil pan. Figure if I go to the dealer, and they fuck something up it will be easier to get them to fix than someone like Jiffylube. I inspect my cars and walk the service manager around them before they touch them, then I inspect before leaving the lot including checking the oil.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
If I had a lift, I'd be doing everything. The older I get, I have no desire to lay on my back in my garage and unscrew 25 bolts or push pins to get a stupid fucking plastic cover off just to get to oil pan. Figure if I go to the dealer, and they fuck something up it will be easier to get them to fix than someone like Jiffylube. I inspect my cars and walk the service manager around them before they touch them, then I inspect before leaving the lot including checking the oil.

It is annoying with removing that shit, although it is only 4 bolts to get to the oil pan and filter. If you do the oil cooler which should be done it is another 15 fasteners. I got so sick of it I made an access door so it is only one fastener :ROFLMAO: I enjoy it plus I have the piece of mind I did it myself. I have a 5 gallon cube which I store everything in and it is a 5 minute trip to O'Reillys to dispose of.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
You need one of these or make your own quick access door..

20191109_150507.jpg

tapatalk_jpeg_1566876392578.jpg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Ever since I've owned my Mustangs, I've always changed my own oil. I know too many people who have destroyed engines due to quick lube places that fuck up.

My old Cobra takes 7 quarts minimum, but I would expect a quick lube joint to only put in 6, since that's what regular Mustang's of that year take. No thanks, I'll spend the time and hassle to do it myself. That's way to expensive an engine to lose to a quick lube fuckup. Anyway the Cobra's oil pan and filter is easy to get to and I like putting in the oil that I want (synthetic).

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
my bmw had this awesome lil access port...

finger in each hole and turn it 1/4 turn boom let's go

1594653785565.png

giphy.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info