Questions regarding gun sale

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been doing some thinking lately and I may want to get rid of my handgun and pick-up a different type of gun.

Have a few questions regarding selling the gun and want to cover my a$$.

So, I never received paper work of registration or anything for the gun itself.

If I sell the gun, I obviously verify the person has a valid FOID card.

1. How do you verify it is a valid FOID card? Any website to plug in the card number to confirm it?
2. How do you change the name of ownership with the state from mine to the new owner?

Are there any other things I need to cover to make sure once I sell it nothing comes back to bite me in the but should the person use it inappropriately or anything?

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
You go to the Illinois state police websight and enter the foid card number of the buyer it tells you it's valid and generates an approval number, I print out that approval, you wait the 3 days fill out a bill of sale with buyers name foid card number and serial number off the gun and both of you retain a copy for 10 years

The state keeps no record of ownership all you need is that bill of sale and the approval number from the foid check

You can always trade it if you don't want to deal with selling private party

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
You go to the Illinois state police websight and enter the foid card number of the buyer it tells you it's valid and generates an approval number, I print out that approval, you wait the 3 days fill out a bill of sale with buyers name foid card number and serial number off the gun and both of you retain a copy for 10 years

The state keeps no record of ownership all you need is that bill of sale and the approval number from the foid check

You can always trade it if you don't want to deal with selling private party
Good info.

Where do you go to trade guns in? How bad is the lowball usually?

I'd be looking to get rid of the gun and the several hundred rounds with it since I won't be able to use the ammo anymore.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Depends where you go, most gun shops take trades, I've never herd of one taking ammo on trade though, but that's much easier to sell just make sure they have a foid and your good, I've bought used guns for decent prices and made money trading them in, it all depends on where you bought if from and where your trying to trade it as to how well you will do, I generally negotiate the price of my guns when I buy new but that's normally out of the question when trading a gun in

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Another option if you don't want to do private party is insist on selling through an FFL. Find one that will do a transfer, and just do it that way. Costs you $25-30 but may be less than a dealer's low balling.

I've done it before because I bought guns from a buddy who was out of state; If they're out of state that's the only LEGAL way to do it.

IZZy

Powered by ES
Reaction score
Marengo guns usually is pretty decent with their offers on used guns to trade in, from what I've been told from an employee gat guns lowballs you pretty hard so I probably wouldn't go there.

Much easier to trade it in if you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling a gun to a stranger and holding on to paper work for 10 years.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Reaction score
Another option if you don't want to do private party is insist on selling through an FFL. Find one that will do a transfer, and just do it that way. Costs you $25-30 but may be less than a dealer's low balling.

I've done it before because I bought guns from a buddy who was out of state; If they're out of state that's the only LEGAL way to do it.
Thanks for the info man!

Marengo guns usually is pretty decent with their offers on used guns to trade in, from what I've been told from an employee gat guns lowballs you pretty hard so I probably wouldn't go there.

Much easier to trade it in if you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling a gun to a stranger and holding on to paper work for 10 years.
I may try Marengo guns. I did buy my current pistol through Gat guns at full price, along with a good amount of the ammo. I'll most likely avoid going back there.

I'd prefer to get as much as I can out of it vs. trading it in and losing more and having to sell the ammo separately for pennies on the dollar and still go through the trouble of verifying FOID for only the ammo.

blck10th

Reaction score

They are only supposed to charge you $10 from what I read the other day.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Don't do trade in, do a private sale, you'll get a lot more money Chris. Shops will usually give you about 60% of the true value of your gun, because they need to make money too and cover their costs.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
what is the gun in question that you want to sell / get rid of.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Transfers are free for person to person. If you have a shop do the transfer for you though (I.E. they do the FOID check, print out the transfer form and a bill of sale with info on it) they will typically charge you $10.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew that. Cool fact of the day.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Yea, it's just to give people peace of mind. Some people don't like dealing with strangers when doing weapon sales, so they'd rather have a shop do it for them, then they can meet there in person to do the physical transfer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom