question

after almost dying multiply times in my cobalt ss/sc, i've decided that i might end up trading it in sooner than i thought....like sometime this coming year. It took me 12.5 minutes to drive 9 houses down my street. ONLY 1.5" of snow.....and i'm sick of it. I've almost gotten into multiple major accidents over the past couple weeks because my car will simply not move. I spent $800 on Toyo Proxes4 tires...225x45x18...and i can't move in an inch of snow...bologna!

So...if my salary increases enough this year...i wanna get an 06Sti or an 06 Evo IXMR...which one do you suggest? and why? how are these cars in shitty chicagoland weather? I personally like the evo better...but i thought i would ask for some input. No car is perfect in horrible snowy road conditions....but i bet an evo could at least MOVE in an inch of snow.

Thanks in advance.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
after almost dying multiply times in my cobalt ss/sc, i've decided that i might end up trading it in sooner than i thought....like sometime this coming year. It took me 12.5 minutes to drive 9 houses down my street. ONLY 1.5" of snow.....and i'm sick of it. I've almost gotten into multiple major accidents over the past couple weeks because my car will simply not move. I spent $800 on Toyo Proxes4 tires...225x45x18...and i can't move in an inch of snow...bologna!

So...if my salary increases enough this year...i wanna get an 06Sti or an 06 Evo IXMR...which one do you suggest? and why? how are these cars in shitty chicagoland weather? I personally like the evo better...but i thought i would ask for some input. No car is perfect in horrible snowy road conditions....but i bet an evo could at least MOVE in an inch of snow.

Thanks in advance.

Driver mod:

Expensive 'grippy' tires suck in the snow, Spend $400 on a set of steelies and snow tires and enjoy the control you will have and the money you will have saved over an evo. the site admin owns an Evo and it sucks in the snow horribly because it too is on summer grippy tires.

right...except i spent that much money on tires because they're high performance all season. they are M+S rated...which should have made a world of difference over the stock pirelli pzero rosso's....but they didn't. I understand that summer grippy tires blow around here...that's why i opted for the M+S rated all seasons.

I dont have a problem with cars sucking in the snow. My 2000 grand am sucked in the snow...but it MOVES. This car doesn't move at all. A stock impala pulled down my street just fine....and it took me 12.5 minutes to go 9 houses. I dont expect my car to set 0-60 records in 2 inches of snow....but i expect it to physically move...and not sit in one place. A buddy of mine has an evo 8 with my same tires. he got through the intersection fine...while i got stuck at 2 light cycles because i'm literally sitting in one place. complete and utter bullshit!!!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
on EITHER of them, immediately buy some all seasons or buy a nice set of winter tires cause even w/ awd, both these cars are death traps w/ summer tires

as for which...both have their pros and cons...ive ridden in both...if u want to mod for cheap, get the evo b/c the 4g is cheap as hell to mod for and ull get to a targeted goal cheaper, just my .02...however the sti is a fantastic car and i would say for the overall package.....the sti is almost the better choice...honestly tho, i would worry more about insurance..cause depending on how old you are,you are going to get RAPED on the evo..not sure on the sti but id imagine its more of the same

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
right...except i spent that much money on tires because they're high performance all season. they are M+S rated...which should have made a world of difference over the stock pirelli pzero rosso's....but they didn't. I understand that summer grippy tires blow around here...that's why i opted for the M+S rated all seasons.

I dont have a problem with cars sucking in the snow. My 2000 grand am sucked in the snow...but it MOVES. This car doesn't move at all. A stock impala pulled down my street just fine....and it took me 12.5 minutes to go 9 houses. I dont expect my car to set 0-60 records in 2 inches of snow....but i expect it to physically move...and not sit in one place. A buddy of mine has an evo 8 with my same tires. he got through the intersection fine...while i got stuck at 2 light cycles because i'm literally sitting in one place. complete and utter bullshit!!!

Again, they are low profile 'high performance' tires, They aren't meant for snow regardless of them being all season. Take a look at the tread pattern on it, then take a look at a true all-season.

SilentD on here has a set of snow tires on 15 or 16" steelies on his SS/SC, and his car from what I'm told handles fantastic in this weather.

all season 'performance' tires means it can drive on plowed roads without sliding all over like summer tires would, it doesn't mean it can conquer snow.

Last edited:
thanks for your response. i wouldn't be worried about insurance at all. i figured it out...and an 06 gto would cost me an extra $22 a month over what i pay for my cobalt. insurance on an evo wouldn't make a huge difference. my frustration lies in the fact that i spent 800 bones on good all season tires because i know that they are good all season tires....and my car still sucks the same as it did. I've never been scared while driving...until this winter in my cobalt. I've taken it up to 151mph in broad daylight...street raced at night etc. but i have NEVER been scared shitless while driving until i have to drive my car in the snow...it is literally that bad. Never in my entire life have i seen a car literally stand still in 1.5 inches of snow.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
how old are you? if ure under 25 i will guarantee the insurance on the evo will rape you...trust me on that one...unless uve literally called up your agent and asked...mine went up considerably going from the srt4 to the 8

edit: profile shows bartender so ure at least 21...thats a plus...hows your record? clean?

Again, they are low profile 'high performance' tires, They aren't meant for snow regardless of them being all season. Take a look at the tread pattern on it, then take a look at a true all-season.

SilentD on here has a set of snow tires on 15 or 16" steelies on his SS/SC, and his car from what I'm told handles fantastic in this weather.

all season 'performance' tires means it can drive on plowed roads without sliding all over like summer tires would, it doesn't mean it can conquer snow.

true. very true. I had to replace all 4 tires anyway...so i got the proxes. i just haven't had the cash to go the steelie/bigger tire route. I think i might end up toughing it out the rest of the winter...and work on making sure i have a winter set of tires/wheels before next winter.

how old are you? if ure under 25 i will guarantee the insurance on the evo will rape you...trust me on that one...unless uve literally called up your agent and asked...mine went up considerably going from the srt4 to the 8

edit: profile shows bartendar so ure at least 21...thats a plus...hows your record? clean?

i'm actually 21.

i just called my agent. an extra $27 a month if i were to insure a 2006 IXMR today. I have such retarded high coverage to begin with...it makes little difference.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
its not ur car, its ur dam tires, i bought Eagle f1s right before winter and bought Blizzacks on steelies for winter... my car is AMAZING in the snow, ive been in 5 inches of snow and plow through that shit like im on dry pavement. get some new tires and dont blame the car.

all performance years rounds are really not year round if there is snow

01Cobra

Ive driven the Cobra in snowstorms many times and barely come close to tripping the ABS let alone kick the rear of the car out. Granted I have winter tires, I still can't believe that your FWD SS is having that much trouble unless your trying to floor it and then stop the car immediately.

1) Distance perception

2) Know the road conditions and drive accordingly

3) Soft gentle usage of the gas pedal

4) Shift gears and let out the clutch smoothly so the tires don't break though most of the time a little wheel spin will happen. (I shift under 2000rpm every gear)

5) Ease into the brake pedal

I always leave my TC on unless I need to power through a drift.

01Cobra

+1 that toyo tread pattern must've made the M+S requirement barely.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
toyo_proxes_4.jpg

2004%20Review_html_m374ab95a.jpg

your tire vs snow tire.... see a difference?

and yes dasfinc they do handle amazing :D

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My focus has Uniroyal all-seasons that look like a snow pattern, and my car handles like there isn't even snow on the ground, I see SUV's and trucks loosing it on pavement that I hold at the same speed because even with 4WD "They still stop and turn the same as a 2WD car" but they don't seem to notice that.

01Cobra

The ws50's are overkill for this area. I used them last year new and they had a little more than a 1/16th tread left after winter. They have a super flimsy side wall which you can notice on dry road lane changes. They like to squirm on the dry and don't like rain. When the temps go above 40F like they normally do here in the winter the tread wears fast.

They do love snow and lots of it. I swear they actually ate the snow they drove through. They handle amazing IN the snow.

For this area a V rated performance snow tires like the blizzak LM22 or Dunlop winter sport M3, will do perfectly well and leave you with much better rain manners. Not to mention the dry road driving.

I'm running a set of Vredestein Wintertrac Xtreme which have performed just as good as the WS50's. They are similar to your V-rated winter tires. Though I wouldn't try to take on roads with more than 6 inches of snow on them (undercarriage clearance is less than that), I can go through snow up to my side moldings just fine .

This pic gives you a good idea how soft the WS-50's get with water and warm temps.
dsc00242.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info