question

thanks a lot guys. i would've asked the same question on the cobalt forums....but only people from around here can actually give advice about these road conditions. I just priced out some snow tires on tirerack, 16x7 silver alloy wheels, mounted, balanced, shipped for $68x.xx i was just ungodly pissed earlier...but i think i like this option's much better than the evo. i'll just save my money for a brand new X in a few years.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
thanks a lot guys. i would've asked the same question on the cobalt forums....but only people from around here can actually give advice about these road conditions. I just priced out some snow tires on tirerack, 16x7 silver alloy wheels, mounted, balanced, shipped for $68x.xx i was just ungodly pissed earlier...but i think i like this option's much better than the evo. i'll just save my money for a brand new X in a few years.

Honestly 15X6 Steelies will probably save you 100-200 Bucks instead of going for alloys

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
What do you expect with a 225 tire.
Narrower tire = more weight on a smaller contact patch- it's all about narrow contact patch and I'm shocked nobody has brought that up yet.

Take the same brand/model tire and it'll have MORE GRIP the narrower you go.
There's your problem.
Buying a different car because you're not using the right wheel/tire size is stupid.

Last edited:

01Cobra

Narrower tire = more weight on a smaller contact patch- it's all about narrow contact patch and I'm shocked nobody has brought that up yet.

There's your problem.
Buying a different car because you're not using the right wheel/tire size is stupid.

Actually 225 should be narrow enough depending on the rim size. For example the 01 GT bullit rims I'm using on my Cobra are 8 inches wide. 225 50 17 is about as narrow as you want to go on the 8 inch rim that I'm using.

It's not about more grip with a narrow tire, its about less resistance.

"A wide, low profile or large tire has to "plow" a wide path through snow which causes more resistance. The narrower the tire, the easier you can get through snow"

This has nothing to do with his Toyo's being too wide. It all has to do with the fact that the Toyo's are not made for snow driving even with the M+S rating. A 225 width snow tire on his car would be amazing.

There's your problem.

hmm...very interesting point. the smaller the contact patch, the more weight per cm^3...more grip. this is true, to a point. a balance must be found. you need the most surface area possible touching the ground. If your perspective was 100% true to life...top fuel dragsters would use two 26" mountain bike tires in the back...as would monster trucks, misc. off road vehicles and the like. True, the less surface area you have touching the ground...the more weight per square (insert unit of measurement). however, traction is about putting as much rubber to the ground as possible...that's why slicks are used at the track. now...my problem lies in the fact i have a stiff and short sidewall with a not aggressive enough tread pattern. smaller wheels let me use a taller sidewall...which in turn give me increased surface area of rubber to ground. pair that with a much more aggressive tread pattern...and i'll be set. i did notice my car handles better with the 225 proxes on...but it could just be they're a better tire than OEM...and i didn't much care for the stock pirellis to begin with.

regarding the new car...it was an idea i was tossing around...but it couldn't actually happen for at least a year due to financial reasons. That...and i was all jacked up on 3 Monster's i drank right before making my initial post. I wouldn't actually get rid of my baby that easily.

ah...ok. well..i can definitely vouch for these toyos as the best tires i've ever used in dry or wet conditions. and yes...going 9 houses in 12 minutes is gay. next winter i'll have 16 inch steelies with a 215/55/16 tire. oh...and by "aggressive pattern" i meant snow tires have deeper tread. my toyos' tread pattern looks more aggressive and wicked than a snow tire...but they're not as deep. let's just hope i can survive the rest of the winter. this snow storm that's supposed to hit tomorrow is pissing me off already.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
my dad has tiger paw as6000's on his camry.. they are just okay...

ANY car can be good in the snow with a set of SNOw tires.

I had my cobalt in the snow ONCE.. in march.. when i bought it.. and it slipped and slid all over the place... the stock pirellis suck balls.

Not being a dick, or being sarcastic, but is this possible in a cobalt with those mods??? I just see a cobalt having a real hard time hitting 150mph.

easily.

Time for the driver to change I guess.

Don't get me started on lack of traction. I can guarantee the tires I used to have on my car are the worse made. On flat ground driving was basically skiing and I did not get into any accidents. Made it down a steep icy hill in traffic sideways with only tapping the curb a little. I am fine with slightly better tires, but still no need for snow tires.

There are far better stories of not fucking up in bad weather from relatives. One actually from my dad, on the same hill (Huntley Rd.) but back when there were train tracks at the bottom. Was in a Mustang (can't remember year, but knows that the '74 Mustang was the worst car he owned), icy conditions, going down sideways, about to go off the road, hits railroad crossing and car straightens out. Although not a story of skill, but luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info