3800 Question on how to replace the lower control arm..

I

imported_GraFFix

I have had a squeak in my suspension for a few weeks now...Ive recently done my brakes and full suspension so I figured one of those to be the culprit..well last night I decided to investigate...

What I found is that the front bushing on my lower control arm has slipped out of its place...its still there but the rubber has slid down revealing the metal housing and thats whats hitting the frame of the car causing the sqeak.

I have a parts list and it looks like i can order just the bushing for around 5 bucks. but im not sure if replacing that is a project ill be able to do. I dont know if it has to be pressed in or what? I can get a brand new fully loaded control arm with all bushings for like 100 each...or just the bushing for like 5 bucks? or I can get a used control arm with all the bushings from Ed, which he does not know the milage on....I dont know what to do. LOL

Has anyone replaced any of the bushings or the control arm itself? any helpfull tips are appreciated. I need to get this fixed asap so my tire dont fall off one day..lol

thanks

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If you rebuild them, take the time to get them sandblasted, lightened, then reinforced. That's the only reason not to buy the loaded ones. If you get new ones, I'd be looking for some for a project, if you could keep me in mind.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I rebuilt LCA's on a GP before, almost forgot about it. It was a '77 though..the bushings did need to be pressed in. I wouldn't suggest doing this, but it's kind of funny how I did it: The ball joint needed to be pressed in from the bottom, and my jack stand with the post removed perfectly fit the ball joint. So i hammered the BJ into the jack stand, then the BJ/jackstand combo onto the LCA. I jacked the car up as high as I could and dropped the car onto the ground as fast as possible. Pretty horrifying, huh? It actually worked though. That was when I was like 17, and still in high school, so suspension was a little new to me then. Most of that stuff needs to be pressed in, but it's pretty inexpensive to have done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list