Question for the SxS guys in here, need a recommendation for a rental

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The Polaris App does not show much of anything as far as "trails" around Custer. But you will be plenty happy riding the forest roads. Can always pickup a forest road map, although I am told the "good roads" have been off the maps for decades. Just remember if you come to a cow gate in the road open it and drive through, then close it again. Also stay off private property.

I assume they will be clearly marked with a private property sign correct?

I would have assumed if you come to a big ass gate, it's not yours so dont open it. :dunno:

Dont need my finding out im on private property being shots fired at me. :bowrofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
i mean, what are you looking for then?

the "forest roads" i was on out west i wouldn't take my pickup down.... probably nothing short of a rubicon jeep on some of them :rofl:

I mean id call them trails as you need good ground clearance and they are barely wide enough for one vehicle. But they are marked forest roads and most are on google maps. Not sure if any actual ATV only trails exist near custer.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

I would have assumed if you come to a big ass gate, it's not yours so dont open it. :dunno:

Dont need my finding out im on private property being shots fired at me. :bowrofl:

not always

to any of that

private property is not always marked.
big ass gates you sometimes have to go through. typically barbwire cow fences a lot of times though it will be a cattle grid liek this:

plenty of trails/roads cross private property as well... big thing is to always remain on the trail/road.

Reactions: FESTER665

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

I've come across ranches in the middle of the national forest. They were marked but like KJ said not all private property is marked. The ranches were probably there before the goverment took ownership of the land. The national forest around black hills has pretty clear boundary markers also. Alot of people have fences also showing boundaries.

The cow gates are pretty easy to spot. Most are homemade with wire and are not locked. Might get shot by a cowboy if u caused his cows to get loose tho.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've come across ranches in the middle of the national forest. They were marked but like KJ said not all private property is marked. The ranches were probably there before the goverment took ownership of the land. The national forest around black hills has pretty clear boundary markers also. Alot of people have fences also showing boundaries.

The cow gates are pretty easy to spot. Most are homemade with wire and are not locked. Might get shot by a cowboy if u caused his cows to get loose tho.

there's plenty of ranches that have public access roads across them though too which are good to go, be respectful af though. go the speed limit/slow, don't tear up the road, etc.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Downloaded the Avenza app and was looking at the trails in that area....

Quite a few of them are for vehicles 62" or less and the XP Pro is 64" which sucks unless theyre not that "strict" over the 2" difference? :dunno:
giphy.gif

• Haha

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
D7A732A7-D227-42D1-8D5D-1F8B310AC608.jpeg

A3C6864E-6B55-45FA-95E8-8866891E4F61.jpeg

5837A3FE-D334-4D5F-9107-B05DD7F32995.jpeg

Some of the gates had these ramps that you could drive through with the SxS but the cows can’t get through them so you don’t have to get out and move the gate.... They were pretty sweet.

Overall it was a great time. If I lived somewhere where I could take one out on the trails from the house I’d buy one in a hurry!

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Damn I didnt know you were going out there so soon.

If you are still in the Hills have dinner at The Alpine Inn in Hill City.

I’m back now, sorry I didn’t see this recommendation in time.

I will definitely be going back again, I loved it out there, one of the rare times I thought it was a place I could live...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Looks like he pulled off the trail to me. Figured there was a reason because the first picture looks kind of stupid otherwise. People can pull to the side of the trail so a groomer, logging truck, or even other vehicles can get by. Its the riders that want to cut corners, ride on the other side of trail signs, and ride where you do not have permission that are the problem. Being involved with a snowmobile club the off trail riding is a major problem and something we have to deal with even in the off season. It sucks because clubs are loosing trails because of it and some riders just do not care. They think they can ride anywhere private land or not.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Looks like he pulled off the trail to me. Figured there was a reason because the first picture looks kind of stupid otherwise. People can pull to the side of the trail so a groomer, logging truck, or even other vehicles can get by. Its the riders that want to cut corners, ride on the other side of trail signs, and ride where you do not have permission that are the problem. Being involved with a snowmobile club the off trail riding is a major problem and something we have to deal with even in the off season. It sucks because clubs are loosing trails because of it and some riders just do not care. They think they can ride anywhere private land or not.

The avenza app worked great at showing all the trails to stay on.... The rental people were good at checking where you went, it tracked your progress and you were able to backtrack if you got in trouble....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info