• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Question for 2010+ s281 Saleen grille guys

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I finally got around to finding and ordering a s281 grille from Late Model Restoration. I just got the grille yesterday and wasn't exactly happy with the quality and finish of the grille. I was wondering if you guys have seen the same thing with your grilles or if I got a crappy one and the finish was pretty flawless on your grilles. Mainly [MENTION=2616]GT5.0FACE[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION] . If anyone else has one let me know. Thanks for the help gents. I am going to send an e-mail to LMR, but figured I would ask others about what condition theirs was in.

Here is a decent scuff/scratch. It is pretty obvious in person, my lighting sucks.
IMG_0904.JPG

There is a really bad plastic lip/mold injection area on the bottom of the grille that is white and sticks out like a sore thumb. It can't be shaved off without messing with the grille surface
IMG_0905.JPG

Random inconsistencies in the plastic texture that look like plastic gobs. There are several of these.
IMG_0908.JPG

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Mine had some excess plastic from the mold like in your second pic. A razor blade can cut most of that off if you are careful. The scratch and "gobs" were not a issue with mine though.

Did your grill come in a Saleen box? Because I wonder if there is a reproduction now. Some companies are selling them as a "Saleen style" grill.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I heard back from LMR and they said exactly what you guys did. Evidently they see similar issues with all of the grilles they get from Saleen. I am just going to hang onto it and plasti dip the grille so I get a consistent color across the surface. I took a blade to some spots and now the grille is uniform, but the spots at the bottom are a light shade of black and still stick out pretty bad. I think I might just cut out the badge location on the grille and make it look the same on both sides as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Just remember this too, you are holding it in your hand two feet away from your eyes. Once it is on the car no one will get that close to see it. The spots you cut will probably not be seen by most people. So I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just paint or plaisti dip the grill so it has a uniform color. Once installed I am sure you will be happy with it.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Agreed. I am looking at it 6 inches away from my face. I am a bit too anal with some shit. I have looked at grilles online for endless hours and I kept coming back to the Saleen. When I saw it on your 5.0 and Carter's 5.0, I couldn't stop looking at both cars during the 1/2 mile event. My fiance was probably ready to punch me in the face because I wouldn't stop talking about how good those cars looked. Been set on it ever since.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Indeed. I think I am going to be going with what other people have done and get the GT/CS style front fascia soon. That combined with the grille is a pretty mean looking combo. I am also looking to do a retrofit project on my headlights soon to help with visibility. So the front should look pretty nice when all is said and done. On top of these mods, I can't wait to get my LCA relocation brackets and LCA's in the mail Tuesday. I ended up going with BMR stuff...for some reason I have a soft spot for BMR. My wheel hop blows since I have gotten my adj. PHB in there.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
It's actually the Boss 302 fascia but is also on the CS.

As for the retrofit, be very careful. The glue they used is a super high temp glue and won't melt like other glue will when you put it in the oven. The only way I've seen it done is the guy had to dremel the headlight into two pieces. Where the clear part meets the black part, he cut right at the "L" junction of the black housing and then epoxied it back together. When it's installed on the car you can't even see it but just FYI.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the heads up on that stuff. I was planning on just buying the fascia/fog light kit as a combo so I wouldnt have to piece it together. I didnt even realize the boss doesnt have the openings for the fogs. I have been reading about that retrofit idea as well and you are right. Cutting the housing up is not what I ultimately had in mind. I might just send my lamps out and have a retrofit company do them for a bit more money and leave that as a project I wont do on my own. That way I wont mess them up and waste more money.

I have this back to black polish that i just decided to use on the grille. It actually made it look good. I couldnt wait any longer and got antsy so i just installed the grille here. Looks baller as shit. My drill just took a crap on me so I will have to drill that middle hole later to get rid of the gap where the grille meets the bumper.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thank you sir. I never used those fogs anyway....the times I did, I always caught shit from the police around here for some reason. Might just save up some money and drop it on some good retrofit headlights so light output is better since I drive at night a lot.

These are kind of pricey, but awesome. The options that this place gives are pretty sweet too. 2010-Present Mustang Pre Packaged Headlights | HID Retrofit Lights

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info