🔧 BUILD Quarter Life Crisis. It's a thing. v.GN

General Information

Your highest dreams will not come true overnight, and even if they do your life will never be perfect. It took me way too long to realize that, but this car was the expensive lesson I needed to get me there. Let me explain.

I've been a Buick fanatic nearly my whole life. Being the owner of a show quality intercooled Grand National race car was a life goal of mine. After being fed up with an overly ambitious restoration project that wasn't even Buick bodied nor powered I dropped everything and gave up. The project got parted out, and I started shopping for something better. I couldn't afford a good Buick yet, so I looked for something I could fix up and flip. Meet Nacho!

14.jpg
12.jpg

I had always had a little thing for El Caminos and I picked this beauty was only $3800. It ran like complete garbage, but it was completely rust-free! I thought that fixing the obvious vacuum leak would make this an easy $5000 car.

I brought it home and immediately removed the carb. Some goof put a spread-bore to square-bore adapter between the stock intake and quadra-jet.

1589747357462.png

Score! I didn't want to fall in love with it, so I started taking it to cruise nights with a for sale sign in it. I even tried to road trip it home to Lisle, but I didn't make it far.

Blown head gasket.png

I was about to stop for gas when I noticed white smoke rolling out behind me. I knew I was not going to make it, so I turned around. I knew it was officially game over when I heard a loud pop and saw a big splash hit the windshield. Only I would blow a head gasket and pop the radiator hose on a stock low output 305. :rolleyes: A tow truck got me the rest of the way home.

I wasn't taking a lot of pictures of my work back then, but here's a little taste of my first major start to finish engine repair!

Head swap.jpg

I had always wondered why the car ran so consistently rough and painfully slow, but I figured that was just the 305 life. As it turned out, this POS had terribly mismatched heads! One side was stock, and the other side had some kind of large chamber 350 head with a 305 gasket. The fact that it ran without blowing the head gasket for as long as it did was a miracle, but I was not happy about blowing the flip.

After scoring some very cheap ebay reman. heads, painting a few parts, and slamming it all together I got serious about selling. Within a couple days, I sold it to a very motivated buyer for $5100. After the purchase, tires, engine repairs, plates, and insurance, I made $200. Those were not the profits I wanted, but a profit nonetheless. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

Once again, I was without a project and still without a Buick. Depression resumed. I started my search for the "perfect" 30 year old car. Not wanting another basket case, but also not wanting to get hosed, I turned to the family friend who got me into Buicks in the first place. He helped me find "the one". Here I am in 2016 about to drive a Grand National and call it my own for the first time in my life.

Closed the deal 2016.jpg

...Now the real story begins.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Turbo is back. The new turbine wheel looks goofy, but I guess we'll have to see how it performs before judgment.

I also went down the exhaust gasket hole. These engines didn't have gaskets for between the headers and heads, header and turbo, or turbo and downpipe. This is an instance where it's good enough for the factory, but probably not good enough for me. I can only "clean up" the flanges so much. Corrosion is going to be an issue here despite all the turbobuick goofs saying that gaskets are just going just blow out... Okay boomer. Nice logic. How often? Every 10-15 years?
PXL_20221029_194021860.jpg

Reactions: sktchy and Jon01

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I don't think I knew that copper rtv was even thing. I've just used the spray on metal gaskets which will work on these craters. Any reason not to use a gasket though? I've never had problems with exhaust gaskets.

Also, I welded up my header tonight, and I warped the shit out of it. My flange is going to get quite a bit thinner after this. Oh well. If I get leaks down the road, I'll save up for pretty stainless headers.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Gray if there's coolant, black if there's oil, orange if there's fire, dielectric if it's rubber and hairspray if I don't want it to slip off. But only enough needed to make it work. I'm ocd about having goo shoved outside of the connections and anytime I pull an intake or valve covers somebody's glued down and I've gotta cook a greeny over it I'm sayin bad words :picard:

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I guess we left out thread sealer and loctite for things that go into water jackets and things that need to stay put respectively. If we're actually gonna be serious and knowledgeable for once :run:
There are way too many mounting holes that go through to coolant on these engines. It's pretty frustrating.

Reactions: bs009 and sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Do you have a good map gas torch?
Bolted up to the head without a gasket and heat up the weld areas cherry red
You're a goddam wizard.

This did so much more than I expected. The warp is less than half of what it was after torching and allowing it to cool twice. I was more shocked at how much room I had to wave a torch around with the header installed on the engine. I think it helped a lot that I could torch the inside just as easy as the outside too. How have I never heard of this trick?!

It's still noticably banana shaped, but I'm not scared to belt sand it the rest of the way. I should still have most of my flange in-tact. ?

I'm in a wierd spot where I don't know how to proceed. First of all, I think I've decided to scrap most of my powder and ceramic coating plans. It's going to be way too damn expensive to have someone clean, mask, and coat all the parts I want done in different colors. I'm not convinced that I'll even like the results anyway, and there's not much turning back after that.

I think it's safe and reasonable to do the timing cover in satin black. It'll look factory and I know paint won't hold worth a shit. I started cleaning that up with a new cleaner, and I've definitely found my new favorite.
PXL_20221101_005659910.jpg
The oil grime just falls right off, almost everything else came off with a blow gun, it never lost pressure, and it's $3.99 per can. ?

I think CRC has permanently lost my business. That shit has gone downhill baaad over the last couple years.

I made a Buick sin. Kinda like LS folks don't look at cam bearings, Buick folks don't look at oil pump housings.
PXL_20221101_011344897.MP.jpg

There are some grooves but I've seen pros put much gnarlier shit back together.
PXL_20221101_020425039.jpg

PXL_20221101_020455281.MP.jpg

PXL_20221101_020511007~2.jpg

I'm gonna shove all this full of Vaseline and plop a new gasket on there. I'm not worried.

I think my new plan of attack for the whole car will be to restore and install one part (and it's bolts) at a time. First part will be timing cover since the timing set comes in the mail tomorrow. Some processes like paint may be a bit repetitive, but it will help keep my brain in focus and parts organized.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I just prime 3800 pumps with the starter because they're cheap and dirty little sluts, but I'm sure the rest of my engine hates me for that. lol GN 3.8s are fragile little bitches that require tender loving care.

It only took seconds for a tubobuick guy to reply to my other thread with a link to the oil pump blueprinting guide. I appreciate all the resources, but I don't think it's necessary given the good visual condition of all the parts. I have feeler gauges though, so why not? I think worst case scenario is that I need to replace the gears and get a TA shim kit.

Thread Info