🔧 BUILD Quarter Life Crisis. It's a thing. v.GN

General Information

Your highest dreams will not come true overnight, and even if they do your life will never be perfect. It took me way too long to realize that, but this car was the expensive lesson I needed to get me there. Let me explain.

I've been a Buick fanatic nearly my whole life. Being the owner of a show quality intercooled Grand National race car was a life goal of mine. After being fed up with an overly ambitious restoration project that wasn't even Buick bodied nor powered I dropped everything and gave up. The project got parted out, and I started shopping for something better. I couldn't afford a good Buick yet, so I looked for something I could fix up and flip. Meet Nacho!

14.jpg
12.jpg

I had always had a little thing for El Caminos and I picked this beauty was only $3800. It ran like complete garbage, but it was completely rust-free! I thought that fixing the obvious vacuum leak would make this an easy $5000 car.

I brought it home and immediately removed the carb. Some goof put a spread-bore to square-bore adapter between the stock intake and quadra-jet.

1589747357462.png

Score! I didn't want to fall in love with it, so I started taking it to cruise nights with a for sale sign in it. I even tried to road trip it home to Lisle, but I didn't make it far.

Blown head gasket.png

I was about to stop for gas when I noticed white smoke rolling out behind me. I knew I was not going to make it, so I turned around. I knew it was officially game over when I heard a loud pop and saw a big splash hit the windshield. Only I would blow a head gasket and pop the radiator hose on a stock low output 305. :rolleyes: A tow truck got me the rest of the way home.

I wasn't taking a lot of pictures of my work back then, but here's a little taste of my first major start to finish engine repair!

Head swap.jpg

I had always wondered why the car ran so consistently rough and painfully slow, but I figured that was just the 305 life. As it turned out, this POS had terribly mismatched heads! One side was stock, and the other side had some kind of large chamber 350 head with a 305 gasket. The fact that it ran without blowing the head gasket for as long as it did was a miracle, but I was not happy about blowing the flip.

After scoring some very cheap ebay reman. heads, painting a few parts, and slamming it all together I got serious about selling. Within a couple days, I sold it to a very motivated buyer for $5100. After the purchase, tires, engine repairs, plates, and insurance, I made $200. Those were not the profits I wanted, but a profit nonetheless. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

Once again, I was without a project and still without a Buick. Depression resumed. I started my search for the "perfect" 30 year old car. Not wanting another basket case, but also not wanting to get hosed, I turned to the family friend who got me into Buicks in the first place. He helped me find "the one". Here I am in 2016 about to drive a Grand National and call it my own for the first time in my life.

Closed the deal 2016.jpg

...Now the real story begins.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You need a stocker? I have 2 here. I've gotta say there was some DIY "porting" done by the PO on the compressor housings but they're otherwise in good condition. Give me 225 and you can have both. Otherwise it's time for a TA-61 (okay at least a TA-49) if you can dig one up. Also comes with 2 inlet flanges so you can do something sketchy later on. :rofl:

View attachment 134836

View attachment 134837

View attachment 134838

View attachment 134839
Sheeeiiiit. That sound like a good deal. You're in WI now though, right? Where abouts?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon

I hate everyone. Ad says "bearings feel fine" but it actually feels like somebody dumped sand in the oil hole. There is a lot of side to side shaft play too. My blown turbo feels better than this. ? I should have stuck to stock. Anybody know of a good rebuilder? I want to see if it's worth having someone fix it before I ask for a full refund.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
John Craig/Limit Engineering was the guy back in the day. If the impellers aren't hitting you're probably good although if you paid 450 for it you're probably ahead on a new turbo.

ED:You got a dial indicator? Measure side play. That seems like shit put bluntly. Tell the seller you want to send it back and want a refund for his core.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
John Craig/Limit Engineering was the guy back in the day. If the impellers aren't hitting you're probably good although if you paid 450 for it you're probably ahead on a new turbo.

ED:You got a dial indicator? Measure side play. That seems like shit put bluntly. Tell the seller you want to send it back and want a refund for his core.
It really just sounds like the blades may be hitting the built up rust inside the turbine housing, but I took the the inspection cover off (big mistake) and the ends of the fins look shiney but unharmed.

That was mistake because I broke one of the bolts and no longer have a unit I can send back to the guy the same way I found it. Before that he said to send it back for a full refund. I should have done that, but I really want a TA49 now.

I'm going to talk to rebuilders and see what I'm looking at. If I can have it fixed cheaper than I would be in for a new one, Ill go for it. I'm hoping that I can convince the guy that it's shit by sending the video and get a partial refund.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Yeah it's probably rough scale.

Those Surfaces rust up real quick unless someone oiled them after taking it off.

Drip some real light clear air tool oil or other thin 3 in 1 oil through the oil hole and see what drains out of the center section before you go making assumptions it might be perfectly fine and all you need to do is get someone with a tap burner to get out the broken bolt

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Limit says $425 plus freight for a rebuild if the wheels and housing are good. Mine will likely have a bunch of busted bolts that need extracted too so it'll end up being a little more.

The seller is being cool. He's willing to work with me on the price. I said $100 back would make me feel a lot more comfortable with buying a core. I still think it'll cost me less than a new one even if I get nothing, but it'll be close.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I finally started work on this thing after getting the TA49 packaged up and sent to boost lab. Hopefully I don't get charged up the ass for all those broken bolts.

First thing I found was all my fin chips in the intake hose. ? RIP
PXL_20221014_222555661.MP.jpg
It was right about here that I started wondering why I was so adamant for so long about keeping this thing together. Sure, it's a survivor to a point, but it's also kinda just turning into a ratty, leaky, rusty POS. I still want this car to be relatively simple, but I'm finally over this preservation thing I was going for. It didn't work, and now I'm paying for it.
PXL_20221015_003047982.jpg

I think I've decided that my new goal is 400whp. It's not opinion based anymore so it'll be a lot easier to figure out what needs to be done. That should be relatively cheap to attain and still very reliable on E85.
PXL_20221015_011531979.jpg
I'm thinking about finding somebody with a stretched Dutt necked intercooler for sale. That way it'll still look and fit nice, but also be ready to party.

Exhaust was leaking out of the Bowling Green Customs turbo elbow where it's supposed to seal against the turbo. It appears that the PO lost or forgot one of the nuts holding it on. Nice.

Also, the boost reference hose was removed and loose AF on the nipple when I tried to put it back on. Perhaps I blew that off and started over boosting.

Speaking of over boosting, the BGC wastegate puck would not move very much. In the pic below you can see how far it would move by hand. Soaking it in PB blaster freed it up a lot, but it's still not as loose as I believe it should be. The shaft also has a lot of axial play which limits the travel of the puck if bottomed out. You might be able to see that in the video. As for the rattly puck, I might just have to live with it.
PXL_20221015_003104966.jpg

A nice stainless downpipe would solve all this, but it would require a clearanced turbo shield and giving up some stealthy appearance.

The BGC elbow and downpipe are actually a pretty cool combo. I had no idea how much different it was from stock. Nobody makes anything like this anymore, so if I want to use it I'll have to fix it.

Thread Info