🔧 BUILD Quarter Life Crisis. It's a thing. v.GN

General Information

Your highest dreams will not come true overnight, and even if they do your life will never be perfect. It took me way too long to realize that, but this car was the expensive lesson I needed to get me there. Let me explain.

I've been a Buick fanatic nearly my whole life. Being the owner of a show quality intercooled Grand National race car was a life goal of mine. After being fed up with an overly ambitious restoration project that wasn't even Buick bodied nor powered I dropped everything and gave up. The project got parted out, and I started shopping for something better. I couldn't afford a good Buick yet, so I looked for something I could fix up and flip. Meet Nacho!

14.jpg
12.jpg

I had always had a little thing for El Caminos and I picked this beauty was only $3800. It ran like complete garbage, but it was completely rust-free! I thought that fixing the obvious vacuum leak would make this an easy $5000 car.

I brought it home and immediately removed the carb. Some goof put a spread-bore to square-bore adapter between the stock intake and quadra-jet.

1589747357462.png

Score! I didn't want to fall in love with it, so I started taking it to cruise nights with a for sale sign in it. I even tried to road trip it home to Lisle, but I didn't make it far.

Blown head gasket.png

I was about to stop for gas when I noticed white smoke rolling out behind me. I knew I was not going to make it, so I turned around. I knew it was officially game over when I heard a loud pop and saw a big splash hit the windshield. Only I would blow a head gasket and pop the radiator hose on a stock low output 305. :rolleyes: A tow truck got me the rest of the way home.

I wasn't taking a lot of pictures of my work back then, but here's a little taste of my first major start to finish engine repair!

Head swap.jpg

I had always wondered why the car ran so consistently rough and painfully slow, but I figured that was just the 305 life. As it turned out, this POS had terribly mismatched heads! One side was stock, and the other side had some kind of large chamber 350 head with a 305 gasket. The fact that it ran without blowing the head gasket for as long as it did was a miracle, but I was not happy about blowing the flip.

After scoring some very cheap ebay reman. heads, painting a few parts, and slamming it all together I got serious about selling. Within a couple days, I sold it to a very motivated buyer for $5100. After the purchase, tires, engine repairs, plates, and insurance, I made $200. Those were not the profits I wanted, but a profit nonetheless. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned.

Once again, I was without a project and still without a Buick. Depression resumed. I started my search for the "perfect" 30 year old car. Not wanting another basket case, but also not wanting to get hosed, I turned to the family friend who got me into Buicks in the first place. He helped me find "the one". Here I am in 2016 about to drive a Grand National and call it my own for the first time in my life.

Closed the deal 2016.jpg

...Now the real story begins.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Stage 0… lol I can tell you’re a Volvo guy!
Stage 0 is probably the best concept I ever learned from Turbobricks. I didn't exactly do that with this car, but finding a stock chip and injectors for this thing would be dumb. It's a small variable I can handle.
Did you ever sort this out? I can get you in touch with the guy that did mine and I'll bet he can make them out of real metal and paint them up to where you'd have to look real close to see an imperfection.
All sorted. My money has been refunded to PayPal. I just need to get PayPal to put it on my card.

Interesting info on these badges though. They aren't really painted. I read that these badges are chromed first then filled with some type of glass with copper mixed into it. It's a bizarre process, but it explains why the color never wears out. Only the chrome. When I think about it, there are very few OE badges that actually have color in them. Any others I can think of are just painted.

Small update on the badging/detail situation. I'm holding off again. 😕 I'm not going to get too deep into this here, but medical bills combined with my wife becoming a stay-at-home mom has us running extremely cautious about money. Everything we make is getting squirreled away into savings, so 5 days worth of nice hotel, meals, gate entries, and trailer rental for Nats is starting to feel very irresponsible. Besides, I need to work on my wash techniques according to Gav anyway. I'll probably throw the hood badges and headlight buckets on at some point since I already have them, but the paint work and fender badges will wait.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I did a little reading, and learned that KR upon shifts in this car is pretty normal on these especially with a performance rebuild. However, it should go away almost instantly which mine doesn't. It backs off on it's own but you're already halfway through the gear before its back to 0. I'm going to guess that that I need more fueling, but this is where real data logs would be super helpful.

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The car looks so much more complete with the hood badges. I don't know why I was so nervous to attempt this for the past 7 years of having them in a box.

1000007701.jpg

I tried and failed HARD at doing a waterless wash today. I'm definitely going to give it another try because I admit to rushing a bit to get it presentable for a car show. I definitely made it worse, but the show was just a bunch of stance dopers with no talent anyway. The point is that I have very bad water spots everywhere.

Its going to be very warm tomorrow, so I'll try this again on the truck and take my time. I'll make sure that I actually get the fucker dry too.

Thread Info