West of the Mississippi

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
I’m going to share my unpopular opinion/ experience: There’s almost no quality RV manufacturers left unless you spend big bucks. All of the affordable quality companies went out of business like 10yrs ago. Then, the large, low quality, high volume companies bought up the the good names. For example, Coachmen used to be a small company that made high quality units. Then they got bought out by Forest River. Jayco was a family owned company that made nice stuff, then they were bought by Thor Industries. I have a Carriage fifth wheel that it extremely well built. But, now they are made by Crossroads. Everything that signified quality in the RV industry was bought by Forest River, Fleetwood, Thor, Crossroads and turned into flashy units built poorly. Most are built on garbage Lippert frames that crack when you look at them wrong. Warranty work is almost non existent because the RV industry isn’t really held to any standards like automotive. My dad has owned a mobile RV service for 20yrs and you wouldn’t believe the stuff he comes across on the 100k rigs. If I were in the market for a travel trailer, I’d be looking for something a little older that’s well maintained. Something that was built before the quality manufacturers went under. Nobody wants to hear this because they get sucked in to the new flashy stuff. Sorry about the rant, but I’ve seen so many people get shafted on this new stuff.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ideally I would like one to tow my side by side in the camper since we use it a good bit when we travel out here. But, we are exploring the options of a normal travel trailer and towing my side by side separate.
I've legit heard good things about that brand I posted... But they are super west coast but you're real close to there so it kinda works out.

Quality seems to vary greatly from brand to brand... As do prices.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m going to share my unpopular opinion/ experience: There’s almost no quality RV manufacturers left unless you spend big bucks. All of the affordable quality companies went out of business like 10yrs ago. Then, the large, low quality, high volume companies bought up the the good names. For example, Coachmen used to be a small company that made high quality units. Then they got bought out by Forest River. Jayco was a family owned company that made nice stuff, then they were bought by Thor Industries. I have a Carriage fifth wheel that it extremely well built. But, now they are made by Crossroads. Everything that signified quality in the RV industry was bought by Forest River, Fleetwood, Thor, Crossroads and turned into flashy units built poorly. Most are built on garbage Lippert frames that crack when you look at them wrong. Warranty work is almost non existent because the RV industry isn’t really held to any standards like automotive. My dad has owned a mobile RV service for 20yrs and you wouldn’t believe the stuff he comes across on the 100k rigs. If I were in the market for a travel trailer, I’d be looking for something a little older that’s well maintained. Something that was built before the quality manufacturers went under. Nobody wants to hear this because they get sucked in to the new flashy stuff. Sorry about the rant, but I’ve seen so many people get shafted on this new stuff.

That's not unpopular.. Lol thank you

I've heard good stuff again about those attitude ones.

Also ATC seems to make quality units, down on frills, high on price, but light weight and quality.

The airstreams I just walked through were baller af but no toy haulers from them

It AMAZES me that most camper warranties are 2-3 years at fucking best. That's fucking insane. There's some boat brands going ten years bow to stern

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Atcs are light AF too for the size. But again...pricey

Screenshot_20200219-205058.png

Reactions: SleeperLS

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
What brands are quality any more if I wanted something newer?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info