Putting the GTO under the knife again - The Mod voices are talking to me again

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Well spring is upon us and time to get the GTO in shape for summer. Time for a little more surgery.

The latest changes are; headers & hi-flow cats, poly motor & trans mounts, new plugs & wires, oil separator, Harrop diff cover, finally install new rear pads with braided rear brake lines and the Hotchkiss sway bars.

I had a set of JBA long tubes with hi-flow cats but since I am not out for the ultimate power gain and the car is lowered I decided to go the JBA shorty route. I found a local person who had brand new JBA hi-flow cats and JBA shortyā€™s. He is building for all out power so we worked out a trade that benefited us both.

This weekend I completed the all the work at the nose of the car. I soaked all the bolts with aerokroil a day earlier and thankfully all the bolts came out without issue. I wasnā€™t expecting problems since the car has 45k miles and no winters. Getting the exhaust off was a breeze. On the driverā€™s side I pulled the plugs and that was all; the passenger side I pulled the plugs, coil packs and dipstick. Since I was doing the motor mounts I unbolted them and lifted the engine up a couple of inches. Once the new mounts were in place I put the headers on the heads then lowered the engine back into the k member. All in all, this is a very easy job.

I did backyard engineer the header flange mount, JBA expects you to use bolts. I got some 7/16-14 threaded rod with regular nuts and jamb nuts. This made it super easy to install.

The factory plug wires touch a few of the headers so I ordered some 8.5mm angled boot wires from summit. Once I put them in I can button up the rest of the front.

The hi-flow cats are way bigger that the stock system. The stock system has a 2.5ā€ flange but the pipe is about 2ā€ in diameter. The JBA pipe is 2.75ā€ and does not slim down much. You can see the size difference in the picture. The actual cat on the JBA pipe is way smaller. Iā€™d estimate a 20-25 pound weight savings as well.

I only started the car to check for leaks and swap it around in the garage. I do not want to car too loud so I am still running the factory cat back. First impression is it has a more sinister sound and is only a bit louder. However, the under-hood noise has increased some, in a good way. There is a bit of a kink in the passenger side exhaust where it goes past the diff and into the resonator and I'd assume it is a bit restrictive.

I did notice a bit more harshness with the poly engine mounts but I think it will be OK.

I have the diff cover on but still need to do the sway bar. I plan to work on the rest of the rear later this week. The only thing I havenā€™t done yet is the front sway bar. I know I must drop the front cradle and I am not sure I want to undertake that yet.

More pictures to come soon as well and some video of the sounds from inside the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 71

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
You're definitely gonna get the cam rock through the chassis now with nothing to absorb that. :D

That's probably why I haven't done any yet. Even with my stock (probably worn out) mounts, my car rocks violently back and forth with my cam. Even had a cop pull up next me at a light one time to ask me about the car because he was behind me at the previous light and noticed how much the car was shaking back and forth when it idled :rofl:

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
That's probably why I haven't done any yet. Even with my stock (probably worn out) mounts, my car rocks violently back and forth with my cam. Even had a cop pull up next me at a light one time to ask me about the car because he was behind me at the previous light and noticed how much the car was shaking back and forth when it idled :rofl:

She'll be an Agitated Goat! or "Shaken not Stirred?" :)

I am a little concerned about how visceral the car will feel. My 911 had solid mounts and I went back to poly and it was acceptable. Hopefully the poly mounts won't be too bad. The good news is it is easy enough to swap them back to something different.

As for the Harrop I scored it on eBay for a lot less than most. He had it spelled wrong in the listing so I had no competition. I was a bit skeptical but it was just as advertised.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
I finally got around to taking the car out for a drive tonight. It is definitely has a bit harder edge, but not terrible. I can live with the motor mounts.

The but dyno thinks there is a bit more power but the sound, oh the sound. It really gets an angry tone from 4,000-redline.

I did not get to the sway bars installed yet but I have to say the Harrop cover made the biggest difference. It really feels planted and very connected. The whole car inspires confidence when pushing it. The insulated feel for the factory car is gone, and I like it!

Hopefully I'll get the sway bars on soon.

keitho64

Regular
Jan 18, 2017
SW Burbs
Hard to believe I just put the car away for winter. I never put the sway bars on so that will be the first project in Spring.

In addition to the sway bars I am going to replace the rear radius rod bushings, front control arm bushings, and rear control arm bushings with poly. I think that will cover the bulk of the suspension, for now. [emoji2]

I did put in a pypes X-pipe a couple of months ago. It replaced the mid muffler that was stock. So now I have the shorty headers, hi-flow cats and x-pipe going into the stock mufflers. This is the perfect balance of sound without being loud.

I did a few road trips with the car this summer and had a blast on some of the back roads in Wisconsin. I need to do a tail of the dragon trip next year.

This winter Iā€™m keeping the Corvair home. I am rebuilding the front suspension. It is still running on stock 55 year old parts. Iā€™ll post a thread on the when I start.

Here is a shot of the Pypes X-pipe. I will say it gives the car a unique sound, not your typical booming V8. I should have made a video but that will have to wait until next year.

Image1543006176.165563.jpg

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I love the way my car sounds w/ my x-pipe. Would love to hear a clip of yours when it comes back out of hibernation. I've been starting to wonder about the state of my magnaflow mufflers i've had on the car since I bought it in 2008. Used to be the car had a nice mellow tone and would only get loud when you stamped on the go fast pedal. Lately tho, the car just seems to be LOUD ALL THE TIME :rofl: Or maybe its just my ears that have gotten older.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Might as well buy that Harrop, you already have too much into the car anyway.

I have poly in the whole car, sometimes I wish I didn't.... It really firms up the car and if you are into touring with it you might not want it quite that firm. Just a thought. (Yeah I know suspension and tires also play into it)

I have the stock 04 catback, you just cant beat the unique sound it makes with long tubes and no cats and the it doesn't drone on the hwy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info