putnam park hpde close call

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
BUT HE'S IN A PORSCHE!!!! HE IS FASTURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Yeah, that was a super risky on the Miata's part, and the Porsche was just a dick that didn't want to let both cars pass.

I have always found it extremely annoying to be in a slower car, and constantly being held up in the corners to a snails pace because the car/driver in front of me was so shitty, and I just couldn't make the pass on the straights, but I'd be right back on their ass in the next braking zone.

The most annoying experience I had like that was me in my 2013 Focus ST @ Road America, being held up by a Pontiac G8. I could not come anywhere near matching him on the straights, but he was taking the corners so slow there was another 2 cars behind ME getting held up. I'm really pissed that the corner workers didn't black flag his ass.

Since I was working Grid at the event, I had a Grid Radio. But, I didn't bring it in the car with me that session. If I had, I probably would have called in a black flag on him. Instead, I and the cars behind me rolled into hot-pit to get some space.

I had the instructor for his group REEM him out in post session breakdown.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've pulled in plenty but i am not super excites by the solution as 1. i lose track time 2. you may catch them again 3. once out of novice these guys should really learn. what really annoys me is once i'm part of a train and it seems like i'm holding shit up too, eg. slow vette holding me up, then a fast vette i recognize collects behind me, do i keep pressure on slow vette? do i give fast vette a pass and let him apply pressure, which may only lead to hit getting a point by himself? i also really don't understand how some people don't recognize any lifting etiquette at all when being passed, a brz these days is gonna be like 200 hp down on most cars, if you give a point i'm definitely not going to blast by you with power without you relaxing the throttle.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
i've pulled in plenty but i am not super excites by the solution as 1. i lose track time 2. you may catch them again 3. once out of novice these guys should really learn. what really annoys me is once i'm part of a train and it seems like i'm holding shit up too, eg. slow vette holding me up, then a fast vette i recognize collects behind me, do i keep pressure on slow vette? do i give fast vette a pass and let him apply pressure, which may only lead to hit getting a point by himself? i also really don't understand how some people don't recognize any lifting etiquette at all when being passed, a brz these days is gonna be like 200 hp down on most cars, if you give a point i'm definitely not going to blast by you with power without you relaxing the throttle.
It would have been ideal if the corner workers black flagged my G8 driver. But they weren't and Iw as stuck behind the guy for about 2 laps at RA, which is about 6 minutes of track time in a 20-25 minute session. So yeah, it sucked losing track time, but I was literally stuck shuffling at a snails pace behind him.

It was like being stuck behind the guy who does the exact posted yellow speed limit on highway on/off ramps.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I feel like it would be near impossible to get a clean lap in if every dude in front of you had to point you by. Is that the process even in advanced? I asked before but can't remember if it was answered.

If yes....then the bajillion dollars more that it costs to track a car vs a bike seems not worth it.

I don't blame the miata driver, his mistake was not fully committing lol. Take your shit line on the outside, slow porsche.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I feel like it would be near impossible to get a clean lap in if every dude in front of you had to point you by. Is that the process even in advanced? I asked before but can't remember if it was answered.

If yes....then the bajillion dollars more that it costs to track a car vs a bike seems not worth it.

I don't blame the miata driver, his mistake was not fully committing lol. Take your shit line on the outside, slow porsche.
Fairly standard in HDPE for cars to require a point-by. Though some advanced groups wave this.

Often in lower skill groups, passing is further restricted to just specific straight aways to avoid the risk in corners.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

depends on the org. how bothersome it is depends on the track/length/number of drivers/etc. not sure about the disparity in sports bike rider skill but i would assume it is greater over there so passing may be more frequent (??) i've never found it too troubling at an HPDE outside of gridlife, where it's 1. fairly packed and 2. idiots self-classify into groups higher than they should be despite their shit experience/ettiquette.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
depends on the org. how bothersome it is depends on the track/length/number of drivers/etc. not sure about the disparity in sports bike rider skill but i would assume it is greater over there so passing may be more frequent (??) i've never found it too troubling at an HPDE outside of gridlife, where it's 1. fairly packed and 2. idiots self-classify into groups higher than they should be despite their shit experience/ettiquette.
As stated:
Intermediate - 6' passing
Advanced - try to not make contact

If you're in the Novice group they typically have a specific number of riders assigned to a coach, and no passing is allowed. With STT (Sportbike Track Time) it's usually six students/riders to a coach, and they go out in intervals to keep the groups separate.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
i also really don't understand how some people don't recognize any lifting etiquette at all when being passed, a brz these days is gonna be like 200 hp down on most cars, if you give a point i'm definitely not going to blast by you with power without you relaxing the throttle.

This x1000. This drives me nuts. I've been stuck behind a slow Vette that was about equal or a little faster horsepower wise. He gave me a point by 3 times in one session, but proceeded to drag race next to me fender to fender. Each time I had to back off and drop in behind him because the passing zone was ending.

I always lift for a second when a faster driver in a car with less horsepower is trying to pass. There's no reason not to, unless you have an inflated ego and are out to win the Intermediate HPDE Championship.

Reactions: bikrboy128

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This x1000. This drives me nuts. I've been stuck behind a slow Vette that was about equal or a little faster horsepower wise. He gave me a point by 3 times in one session, but proceeded to drag race next to me fender to fender. Each time I had to back off and drop in behind him because the passing zone was ending.

I always lift for a second when a faster driver in a car with less horsepower is trying to pass. There's no reason not to, unless you have an inflated ego and are out to win the Intermediate HPDE Championship.
Happens with motorcycles as well. I'll be on my 600 and be faster than liter bikes in the turns/corners (braking later, corner speed, etc), but they'll blast past in the straights. Not really much of an achievement, as almost anyone can go fast in a straight line.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

i even give a short lift, even though most people can actually blast by me! no interest in being in any closer of a drag racing situation into the next corner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info