TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
walk_behind_mower_r47ve.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
We had a toro for about 17 years and it was fantastic. It just got harder and harder to start so we finally got rid of it and bought some shitty craftsman. Big mistake! That pos only lasted about 3 years and didn't nearly have the cutting power of the toro. So we gave that pos away and got a honda. Probably the best mower I ever used. It's quiet and powerful and starts with one pull every time, even first start of the season. Mine is also RWD, I'm not sure if they even make FWD mowers anymore.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
The fold up Toro's are actually pretty neat and save a lot of floor space. But personally, I think Toro quality has declined a lot in the recent decade. Used to sell them and each year they'd get kinda worse. China made everything now. I'm a huge fan of older Toro mowers/power equipment in general. I'm rocking a 1991 Toro. 5.5 Briggs OHV, 3 speed, RWD, aluminum deck, blade clutch. Starts on 1st and runs like a fucking champ. Dat flawless cut each time.

Had a great Toro many years ago with a Briggs. Always started and always ran. Then somebody stole it. Bought a new one because I figured if it worked well (and spent about $350 +home Depot warranty) then keep the same brand. Low and behold after the 3rd time using it, the motor locked up (also a briggs). Always checked oil and gas before each use. But no way in hell would it lock up after three uses.

Claimed warranty and got money back towards a new one. I also got to keep the old one (my brother threw his craftsman motor on it from his old mower). The new one I have (also Toro but with a Koehler motor) was working fine. I usually only put fuel stabilizer in the tank throughout winter and never had a problem. This year I had sediment in the carb and had to clean it out and yet the mower still works with 1 pull.

22" blade, self propelled with big rear wheels and Koehler motor.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Had a great Toro many years ago with a Briggs. Always started and always ran. Then somebody stole it. Bought a new one because I figured if it worked well (and spent about $350 +home Depot warranty) then keep the same brand. Low and behold after the 3rd time using it, the motor locked up (also a briggs). Always checked oil and gas before each use. But no way in hell would it lock up after three uses.

Claimed warranty and got money back towards a new one. I also got to keep the old one (my brother threw his craftsman motor on it from his old mower). The new one I have (also Toro but with a Koehler motor) was working fine. I usually only put fuel stabilizer in the tank throughout winter and never had a problem. This year I had sediment in the carb and had to clean it out and yet the mower still works with 1 pull.

22" blade, self propelled with big rear wheels and Koehler motor.

Yeah its a shame. Briggs makes fantastic engines here in the states. I have a couple small engines the 50s-70s that prove how awesome they were. Briggs moved a lot of operations to China, some had very poor QC. You're not alone though. When I sold them at a hardware store we would have people come back pissed off with a chunk of the block in their hand. Obviously they didn't listen to us or read the manual to add oil, but I remember a few of them seizing up similar to your case.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
my current craftsman has a briggs and stratton and has probably had the same spark plug for 4-5 years at minimum. and starts on the first pull.

The older stuff works . The newer stuff.... It's hit and miss sometimes. My brothers craftsman mower is working fine. The mower itself was just falling apart. So he used my old Toro with the locked up motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info