push behind lawn mower advice

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I've had a Black and Decker 5 hp battery powered mower for almost 20 years. Works great and can run for up to 90 minutes.

I'm only on my 2nd battery. First one was defective and replaced under warranty. Existing batt is 18 years old and still going.

I'd never go back to a gas mower.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Whatever you get, don't get a mower with fwd. I got one as a homewarming gift from my sister and it's a solid honda but it's fwd. It makes no sense because you are primarily pivoting off of the rear wheels so the fronts aren't down nearly as much and spins half the lawn. Go figure it's a Honda :rofl:

great mower, but if I could have picked one, it wouldn't have been fwd
Shop Husqvarna 160cc 22-in Self-Propelled Front Wheel Drive 3 in 1 Gas Push Lawn Mower with Honda Engine and Mulching Capability at Lowes.com

Agreed, front wheel drive mowers suck. Most of the weight is in the rear anyway... when climbing hills it helps greatly. I used to mow my grandpas grass with his FWD mower and the front wheels were bald because they constantly spun :rofl:

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Agreed, front wheel drive mowers suck. Most of the weight is in the rear anyway... when climbing hills it helps greatly. I used to mow my grandpas grass with his FWD mower and the front wheels were bald because they constantly spun :rofl:

Exactly, they put the drive wheels on the front where there is the least amount of weight so it renders it near ineffective especially if it's any bit wet out. I do agree that AWD is almost overkill but fwd is just retarded. Remember having a big wheel when you were a kid? :rofl:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Exactly, they put the drive wheels on the front where there is the least amount of weight so it renders it near ineffective especially if it's any bit wet out. I do agree that AWD is almost overkill but fwd is just retarded. Remember having a big wheel when you were a kid? :rofl:

But it works great in the snow! :s00ls:

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

:rofl: I'd rather push the fucker than have FWD do continuous burnouts on my lawn.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
how do the personal pace ones work? sort of like a propelled vacuum id assume?

its a sliding spring loaded handle that matches your walking pace by the amount of force applied to it. My parents have it on their ~5 year old Toro, but after a while it loosened up and didn't really work as advertised. I found myself always pushing it all the way down for max speed, probably needs an adjustment or something.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
yup, and its all engineered to break/need service. Neutral position is the top of the slide, but anytime you push on the handle it engages the drivetrain. Another problem was it sometimes being engaged so rolling backwards there was resistance from it being in gear. I'd have to yank on it to go into neutral. That's why I love my early 90s mower, shit was made to last dude :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info