Pulling a 4v out

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
Can a 4v be pulled out with the t56 attatched or do I have to take off the trans? I know Chad can do it with his eyes closed maybe you can chime in.

Maybe someone has a detailed link of pics showing how to pull one step by step.

Should I pull the blower off 1st?

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Reaction score
Not sure if u have access to a lift but I would lift the body off the motor. I bet ripple could help out with that. Get it all done. Trailer car there and we can lift body off for you. Trailer back home. Done. You can give me a call if u want

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
Not sure if u have access to a lift but I would lift the body off the motor. I bet ripple could help out with that. Get it all done. Trailer car there and we can lift body off for you. Trailer back home. Done. You can give me a call if u want
That's the thing I wanna try and save money by doing it myself. I just wanna make sure I have everything covered, I just gotta get a cherry picker.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
WTF you arent taking the motor out to swap the cam covers are you?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
nothing yet! I'm gonna do some cosmetic changes. And fix my timing cover leak and powdercoat it while I have it off.
No need to pull the engine unless you are bored and want to get frustrated out of your mind.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
No need to pull the engine unless you are bored and want to get frustrated out of your mind.
That's good to know, I guess I was curious to learn how to do it for future projects. I'll b callin u Zack for some advice lol

twn-trbo-svt

NEW GUY
Reaction score
That's good to know, I guess I was curious to learn how to do it for future projects. I'll b callin u Zack for some advice lol
HEY DAN IF YOU WANNA LEARN, FEEL MORE THEN FREE TO COME PULL MINE:biggthump

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
No problem.
I had the timing cover off of my mach 1 in under an hour last year.
It will definitely be a little longer on a Cobra though.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Reaction score
No problem.
under an hour??

this is what the mach 1 had to say about that

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
No problem.
Do I have to take off the ac compressor to pull of the timing cover? I know it's gonna be longer on a cobra, pulley bridge, alt, etc. What kind of gasket is used for the timing cover?

And is a timing cover leak a common prob on 4v's?

Oh it's getting powder coated too along with pulley bridge, all black.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Do I have to take off the ac compressor to pull of the timing cover? I know it's gonna be longer on a cobra, pulley bridge, alt, etc. What kind of gasket is used for the timing cover?

And is a timing cover leak a common prob on 4v's?

Oh it's getting powder coated too along with pulley bridge, all black.

AC compressor front 2 bolts need to come out and the back bolt loosened.

The 2 rubber gaskets are re-useable and the front seal is about 6 bucks. You need to recess it in the cover though, otherwise the harmonic balancer might hit it.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
AC compressor front 2 bolts need to come out and the back bolt loosened.

The 2 rubber gaskets are re-useable and the front seal is about 6 bucks. You need to recess it in the cover though, otherwise the harmonic balancer might hit it.
Ya but I don't know what seal is bad

vadorsnake04

Reaction score
Ive pulled my engine twice now and installed it once, both times i pulled it and installed it with the motor, trans, longtubes, and wiring harness attached to it. The second time i didn't even take the hood off of the car. I just take the blower, intercooler, fan, and coolant tanks out of it to make space. I owe my knowledge of pulling these engines to RDSNAKE, I still owe him one now.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
Ive pulled my engine twice now and installed it once, both times i pulled it and installed it with the motor, trans, longtubes, and wiring harness attached to it. The second time i didn't even take the hood off of the car. I just take the blower, intercooler, fan, and coolant tanks out of it to make space. I owe my knowledge of pulling these engines to RDSNAKE, I still owe him one now.
It doesn't seem that hard, I mean I did my own longtubes while I swapped out the k member and my motor was suspended the whole time. So if I wanted to pull it I could it's just that it was in someone elses garage, I'm a little ill equiped right now. I think I'm just gonna do the timing cover with the motor in, and leave my other cosmetic stuff for when I pull the motor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom